1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Philips DVD-963SA: SACD, DVD, and 24/192 upsampling of CD, for $400?!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KeithH, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Eujin

Eujin Well-Known Member

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Well-Known Member

Claire,
    Why not just stop fooling around... get that Meridian 598 and be done with it [​IMG]
    Regards,

3. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

John,
    If you do learn anything from your Philips contact, please share! [​IMG]
    Eujin said:

4. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of the '963SA:
    [c][​IMG][/c]
    Does anyone know if the US model will be silver or black? Please say silver! The US version of the '962SA is silver.
    By the way, what does that MATCHlllLINE thing in the upper right corner of the front panel mean?

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Well-Known Member

6. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

Kevin, while the Marantz SA-12S1 does SACD, but not DVD-Audio, the DV-12S1 does DVD-Audio, but not SACD.
    You said:

7. John Kotches

Kevin,

What type of a statement would it be if the co-inventor of a format built a player that supports the rival format? That would be tantamount to admitting the player has merit.

What was the first product that Marantz created once they were no longer majority owned by Philips? The DV-12V1 DVD-Audio player.

The previous generation Marantz players (SA-12S1 SACD, DV-12V1 DVD-Audio) could probably have been made Universal with a little bit of effort, but I am not 100% certain of the details of these two players.

Regards,

8. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

At this point in time, with neither DVD-Audio nor SACD garnering significant marketshare, don't expect Sony or Philips to support DVD-Audio. Likewise, don't expect Matsushita to support SACD. If at some point down the road one of the formats does catch on, we may have a situation where the backers of the "losing" format will not be able to ignore the "winning" format and the sales dollars to be gained marketing that winning format. Then we may see crossover, for example, with a DVD-Audio player from Sony. It's happened before with other formats. Although Sony invented and has pushed minidisc, it eventually came out with a component CD burner. There came a point where Sony could not ignore the popularity of CD burners. Obviously, Sony wanted a piece of the pie.

I think we are a ways away from seeing such crossover to DVD-Audio or SACD. Neither high-resolution format has demonstrated the sales figures to warrant attention from the backers of the competing format.

9. Han

Han Well-Known Member

John,
    Did you run into anyone at CEDIA who'd tell you when their FLI2300 based players would come out?

Personally, I don't even need something like the upconversion, since it'll just be an artificial upconversion to 1080i on my TV, and I'd rather just watch DVDs in 480p progressive mode anyway. I agree that Faroudja's, or even Samsung's player would be targetting different consumers, so there shouldn't be a reason why multiple levels of players could be released in the same time period.

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Well-Known Member

Does anyone think the SACD playback of this model will be on-par with the current Sony ES series? I know that answer requires quite a bit of speculation, but does anyone understand this stuff and the features of this particular model well enough to venture an informed guess?

11. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Well-Known Member

I merely hope that they will "hold-up"well, 'cause while I know that some here switch source components like underwear, I would like to see build quality and durability and a bug-free unit.....the 962...still around....

12. John Kotches

Han,

No one was giving time frames for FLI2300 deinterlacing players at CEDIA, but I suspect they will be out either in December or right after CES.

Regards,

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Well-Known Member

Lee

14. Kevin C Brown

John- Shame on you! [​IMG]
    From your review of the Marantz SA-12S1 SACD/DVD-V player in Secrets:

15. John Kotches

Kevin,

It would also be admitting defeat, and do you really think this is going to happen on either side anytime in the forseeable future?

Regards,

16. Kevin C Brown

John- I can hope! After all, Sony makes, or at least sells VCRs now...

(I'd give my left nut for a 20 lb ES universal player.)

17. Rich Malloy

18. Rich Malloy

(BTW, I'm very excited about this unit, can't wait to hear the reviews, and think that just maybe I made the right decision not to go ahead with the Sony 555ES purchase... though I'm still straddling the fence about that one.)

19. Eujin

Eujin Well-Known Member

Rich,

From the spec, it looks like the real deal--independent XO settings for each channel/speaker. This would be awesome if true. If this player can produce audio that's better than the 555ES, that would make it an absolute category killer.

20. Rich Malloy

Eujin, would the upsampling capabilities of the Philips lead you to believe that its redbook performance would, on balance, improve upon the performance of the current Sony ES series players?

And I also wonder whether the internal DTS/DD processors, hopefully coupled with thorough bass management features on the analog outputs, might be an improvement over my current processor's capabilities? Currently, I can select from a range of various crossover frequencies, but am limited to only a single frequency selection which is then applied to every speaker not run full-range.