What's new

Philip K. Dick "A Scanner Darkly" (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if Linklater would script this himself, or take advantage of the script that Charlie Kaufman already wrote?

For any who are interested, Kaufman's script is available for download on the website www.beingcharliekaufman.com.

--Jefferson Morris

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
A PKD thread with more than one reply? GARY, tell me your secret.

An answer to Jefferson's query, yes it is the Linklater script, as of now.

Beth Pearson

Auditioning
Filming has just started here in Austin. Robert Downey Jr. was working out at my gym last night - slogging away on the stepmill with a hoodie sweatshirt on to hide his face, studying what appeared to be a big binder of production notes. Even the local press has been pretty quiet about this one, aside from this little snippet from the Austin American Statesman:

-Beth

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Nice cast in the film too. Plus a great writer/director in front of it and star source material. Put me in the excited camp. Loved Waking Life, really enjoy Dick's writing/story concepts, like most of everything else Linklater does. Lots of different reasons to be hopeful here.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
The trailer looks intriguing. I don't recall seeing any movie in this fashion, a technique I believe they call is rotoscoping.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to this mainly because it's another PKD adpatation.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

You should see Linklater's "Waking Life", then. He uses the same technique for that film as well. Personally, I like the look.

Jason

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont know if i could take a whole movie like that.
either entirefilm is animated traditionally orlive action.
dont know if i'm ready for one like this yet.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Looks interesting. The style of the film has me wierded out though. They used it for Waking Life but that still looks rather animated. Here, it looks too realistic. It looks like they just put lines over the actors or something. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
An insurance company uses this technique for its TV commercials and I think it's ultimately diminished the impact of its use in feature films.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I recently bought A Scanner Darkly -- I haven't been able to get past the first couple of pages as of now. I'm hoping that I'll gather up the attention span to kill it in one sitting...its a relatively short book.

In either case, I'm a little confused by the animation...I would like to see some scenes as live action, but chances are, I'll be checking this outie.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
My prediction: this is the one that will finally, successfully bring PKD to the screen. It'll be dark, it'll be funny, it'll be more sociology than sci-fi... it'll be right.

(And I'll be pissing and moaning if it ain't!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks