1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

PHE Press Release: Star Trek The Next Generation Season One

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 1, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

CELEBRATING ITS 25TH ANNIVERSARY, LEGENDARY SERIES

MAKES ITS FULL-SEASON BLU-RAY™ DEBUT

[​IMG]

THE FIRST SEASON BLU-RAY

New High-Definition Transfer With Staggering Before/After Results Boasts

Exclusive Special Features Including Never-Before-Seen Archival Footage,

Brand New Interviews With Key Players, Gag Reel And More!

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B0083TUEHY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1337720897&sr=8-10

Available July 24, 2012

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (April 30, 2012) The enduringly popular sci-fi favorite STAR TREK:

THE NEXT GENERATION THE FIRST SEASON makes its Blu-ray debut on July 24 from

th

2012, the beloved series continues to enthrall fans with its exciting and socially relevant tales of space

th

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION THE FIRST SEASON has been retransferred from

original film elements to produce stunning high-definition images, including amazing visual effects that

have been painstakingly recreated from the source material, creating before/after results that fans will

love. The six-disc Blu-ray set also features 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and a wealth of exclusive bonus

material, such as archival footage, a gag reel, and an inside look at taking The Next Generation to the

next level of high-definition. Featuring numerous behind-the-scenes interviews, the new material also

features Star Trek experts Mike and Denise Okuda, consultants throughout this ongoing project, who

offer special insights into the countless man-hours dedicated to the upgrade of The Next Generation.

Featuring one of the most endearing ensemble casts in television history, STAR TREK:

THE NEXT GENERATION took fans on the remarkable continuing voyages of the Starship Enterprise

with Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart), Commander William T. Riker (Jonathan Frakes),

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge (LeVar Burton), Counselor Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis),

Lt. Commander Data (Brent Spiner), Lieutenant Worf (Michael Dorn), Dr. Beverly Crusher

(Gates McFadden) and Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton).

The STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION THE FIRST SEASON Blu-ray set will be available in

1080p with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Stereo Surround, French Mono, Japanese Mono and

German Mono (with the exception of “Encounter at Farpoint” which is in German Stereo). The discs also

include English SDH, French, German, Castilian, Italian, Japanese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian and

Swedish subtitles. The Blu-ray is not rated in the U.S. and rated PG in Canada. The disc breakdown is as

follows:

Disc One:

Episodes

· Encounter at Farpoint

· The Naked Now

· Code of Honor

Special Features

· Episodic Promos

· Energized! Taking The Next Generation to the Next Level (HD)

· Star Trek: The Next Generation Archives: The Launch

o Introduction to the Series (1987)

o Promo #1

o Promo #2

o Promo #3

o Season One Promo

Disc Two:

Episodes

· The Last Outpost

· Where No One Has Gone Before

· Lonely Among Us

· Justice

· The Battle

Special Features

· Episodic Promos

Disc Three:

Episodes

· Hide and Q

· Haven

· The Big Goodbye

· Datalore

· Angel One

Special Features

· Episodic Promos

Disc Four:

Episodes

· Too Short a Season

· When the Bough Breaks

· Home Soil

· Coming of Age

Page 2 of 3

Special Features

· Episodic Promos

Disc Five:

Episodes

· Heart of Glory

· The Arsenal of Freedom

· Symbiosis

· Skin of Evil

· We’ll Always Have Paris

Special Features

· Episodic Promos

Disc Six:

Episodes

· Conspiracy

· The Neutral Zone

Special Features

· Episodic Promos

· Stardate Revisited: The Origin of Star Trek: The Next Generation (HD)

o Part 1: Inception

o Part 2: Launch

o Part 3: The Continuing Mission

· Gag Reel

· Archival Mission Logs

o The Beginning

o Selected Crew Analysis

o The Making of a Legend

o Memorable Missions

CBS Home Entertainment manages the worldwide DVD and Blu-ray businesses for the CBS

Corporation across all lines of content including current hits and classic series from the vast CBS library,

as well as new releases from Showtime Video. CBS Home Entertainment products are released on the

CBS DVD and CBS Blu-ray labels.

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a

global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), a

leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.

The PHMD division oversees PPC’s home entertainment, digital and television distribution activities

worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment

content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Vantage, Paramount

Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home

entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment. PHMD additionally

manages global licensing of studio content and distribution across worldwide digital and television

distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION Season One

Street Date: July 24, 2012

Catalog #: 146604

Runtime: 1,184 minutes

U.S. Rating: Not Rated

2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Well-Known Member

Sam Favate
    Nice to see the episode promos on there. It was a big omission on the earlier releases.

3. Jason_V

Jason_V Well-Known Member

Jason
    So I guess my only question on the trailers-and don't crucify me for being an uber-nerd-is which version is going to be on there: the original "All New Episode" edition or the regular ones. Not that it really matters. I'm just over the moon some version is going to be included AND this set is three months away.

All New Episode

versus

Regular Trailer

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

trekmovie has screen captures that CBS has provided them to be enjoyed as we wait.
    http://trekmovie.com/2012/05/01/new-star-trek-tng-season-1-blu-ray-images/

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

WOW!
    And me being a huge first season fan, safe to say I think I'm in for a treat. Can't wait to see the lonely terraforming complex in "Home Soil".

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

I am happy that they are releasing TNG the way it deserves to be seen, but I notice there is no MSRP in the press release which I would assume indicates a premium price for this set.

7. Scott D S

Scott D S Well-Known Member

Per the press release on TVShowsonDVD.com, two seconds are still missing:
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-1-Extras/16943
    (NOTE: 2 seconds of the original film elements for the episode "We'll Always Have Paris" have not been located and thus have been upconverted from Standard Definition videotape)

On the other hand, it looks like there WILL be a theatrical screening!
    To promote this release, studio sources say that on Monday July 23rd, the day before the street date of this set, there will be a theatrical screening event at approximatly 600 theaters, located in 49 U.S. markets. The screening will include 2 high-definition Season 1 episodes, "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Datalore," along with behind-the-scenes extras! This screening will be promoted online, via social media, mobile, and in-theater...look for it!

8. smithb

smithb Well-Known Member

That may be the case. It's currently available for preorder on Amazon UK for 52 pounds, which translates to about $83 US. It doesn't say at this time if that is the MSRP or a discounted preorder price. Personally, I will need to see it work down to the $50 US range a season for me to be interested. And even then I'm not sure I would pick up all seasons (just saw it too many times over the years in early syndication). Now DS9 with it's stronger story arc could get me to purchase in HD, but that will probably be a few years away, if at all. I just started going through the DS9 DVD's recently, so a few years wait is fine for me.

9. Jason_V

Jason
    Based on the "original" tag in front of the promos, I'm not cautiously optimistic these are the "All New Episode" trailers and not the syndicated/rerun versions.

July can't get here fast enough. I may even get to the theater for WNOHGB/Datalore because I'm THAT big a nerd...

10. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
  11. Jason_V

Jason
    This has to be cheaper release week. Just has to be.

But it likely won't matter to me...

12. Jeff Ulmer

It's in the shopping cart, but will be waiting for a substantial price drop before taking the plunge.

13. Nelson Au

That price looks about right. Given how much TOS remastered was and how much effort went into this remaster, it's about what I expected.
    I don't doubt the price will be adjusted before release date.
    Edit: Trekmovie.com lists the price at Walmart as $78.86. No doubt that will influence Amazon's price.

14. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Nelson,

I get the costs involved, but my pricepoint on this would be $60 a season.

This is considering that there are 7 seasons to purchase in all.

Really, as big a fan as I am, I am going to wait for all of these to be released
    and then re-released in a complete boxed set. I am hoping the package
    will be offered at a more substantial savings than spending this kind of money
    on each individual season.

15. Nelson Au

Hey Ron, that's a very good point that there are 7 seasons verses 3 that the TOS series has. So that cost issue is an important consideration. I hope that the street prices will drop as well.

16. Jeff Ulmer

Price is down to 78.86 at Amazon. Still pretty steep, but hopefully it will drop some more before release. If not, I'll wait for the inevitable sales later in the year.

17. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff. I just pre-ordered it.

18. Osato

Osato Well-Known Member

TNG HD preview in theaters!
    http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/01/star-trek-tng-hd-screenings-theater-list-announced-amazon-lowers-blu-ray-pre-order-price/

19. Nelson Au

I saw the remastered The Menagerie parts 1 and 2 at theaters when the blu-ray was about to be released for TOS. That was fun, but it was problematic. The pre-show behind the scenes intro by Rod Roddenberry played with no sound most of the way through. I wasn't sweating it as I hoped it would be on the blu ray, but it wasn't as far as I can tell. And I hear it wasn't true full HD.
    I'll probably pass on the theatrical run of the TNG episodes. It will probably look better at home! And sound better too at home! Plus the episodes are only okay. I'll bet Where No Man Has Gone Before will look fantastic when the ship ends up in that region of space with all the colors there.

20. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Nelson,
    You might want to check out the Movies (Theatrical) thread, as I posted this news a bit earlier today. The links may be different and informative. :)
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/321150/star-trek-the-next-generation-remastered-for-the-big-screen