1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Phase Technology PC 8.5

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan D Burke, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

I have a chance to buy a pair of Phase Technology PC 8.5's. The only drawback is I won't be able to listen to them as they are several states away.

Has anyone heard these before. How do they compare to other speakers.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If memory serves me right, these are analogous to the infamous white van speakers. If so, stay away.

3. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Are you sure? I believe this company has been around for 40+ years.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

So much for memory! I was thinking of Linear Phase, Acoustic Phase, etc. and you're quite correct that it's a reputable brand that's been reviewed which I take it you've seen.

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

6. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

I auditioned a pair of the Theatro floorstanding speakers. They were exceptional speakers. Like James said, they are wonderfully smooth and IMHO very musical and very easy to listen too. Very high quality speaker. If I had to try to find fault with the speaker it would be a slight lack in detail compared to other speakers I've listened too. Personally I'd gladly trade in a *slight* lack of detail for a warm, smooth speaker you could listen to all day. I would not hesitate to recommend the Phase techs I listened too.

7. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Actually, that "slight lack of detail" is what some people say about Phase Tech's when they first hear them. BUT, this is totally opposite of what they are giving you. Maybe not as much in the Teatro line (haven't heard the new Velocity Series yet, similar to the Teatro's), but the PC series have an incredible amount of detail, across the entire frequency range. When I first had my PC 9.1's, it was like I had a whole new CD collection. There have been many times when I'd have to listen to a song again because I heard something I never noticed before. An instrument or sound I had previously not known was there. Some of this in music I've been listening to for 20 years. It was after that I realized I was now listening to the music and not the speakers. Some will say they are too "laid back" for their tastes, but that is what makes them so easy to listen to. I would call them "neutral".

Another little note about Phase Technology: they produce all their drivers, crossovers, and cabinets in house, few manufacturers can claim this. Their quality control is meticulous. Build quality is absolutely amazing. Rapping knucles on the side of my 9.1's is like knocking on concrete.

8. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Thank you all for the responses.

9. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

When I was auditioning the Teatros was the first time I noticed a particular sound on one my Diana Krall CD's... sounds like she was depressing the pedal on the piano. It was quite distracting! [​IMG]

10. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

11. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Thanks! The deal is done. Hopefully I will have them by next weekend. From the pictures I was sent the look to be in excellent condition. Can't wait to hear Keb 'Mo's fingers picking the guitar strings[​IMG]

I got them for $400 with the option to return the speakers if I don't like them.

12. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Not a bad deal at all. Those retailed for $1200.00 each about 8 years ago.