What's new

Petticoat Junction (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm a big believer in "Best Of" sets, as long as they are not in lieu of "Complete Season" sets. If a studio has no intention of putting out a complete series, I'd rather have a selection of episodes than none at all. Plus, there are many shows I'd love to see some episodes of but have no intention of collecting all the seasons, like Lost In Space and Petticoat Junction.

However, I also worry that when a studio makes the decision to put out the "Best Of" first, low sales may indicate to them no interest in the series, rather than the specific release.

I certainly hope that the fans of PJ and Mr. Ed and That Girl and other "Best Of" shows get their full season sets.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there is great news on the upcoming "Petticoat Junction Ultimate Collection". It looks like this collection will be comprised of first season episodes only! According to Deep Discount DVDs' description, this set will include 20 of the first 21 episodes from the initial season, all in order. The only thing missing will be the Christmas episode, which I'm sure will show up on the seperate holiday volume with the Hillbillies.

It's not a full 1st Season release, but at least they are headed in the right direction.

This is truly wonderful news, IMHO!!

Gary "I had hoped this PJ ULTIMATE set would follow suit with the HILLBILLIES collection and basically be a partial 1st Season set, and that is apparently the case" O.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
In that case, I might spend my hard earned money for this 'Best of' since its only missing one episode that will probably show up elsewhere.

I'm generally not inclined to purchase a 'Best of' release since there is just so much stuff coming out on DVD I can't afford to buy complete season sets AND a 'Best of' that will hopefully be replaced later on with full season sets.

I know the line of thought that many believe the studio may base future releases on a 'Best of' forerunner. I can't argue with that, although I think the studios logic may be somewhat flawed. I just can't spend $14.98 on these less than season releases, when on release days I'm buying FULL season sets of some shows for $27-$29 and with few execptions, never higher than $39. I feel like I end up spending an average of $100 a week on TV Shows on DVD.

The rest of this year is shaping up to be pretty expensive!

I wonder how well the "Best of Charlie's Angels" actually sold? I bought it out of the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart. It only contained a few first season episodes. That's the only 'Best of' in my growing collection. My real question is, how well did the BoCA sell and did it really have that much to do with the first complete season release?

And now, back to our PJ thread :D

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I went to mpi's website (mpihomevideo.com) and found some more information regarding this release that I hadn't read anywhere else. Looks like its going to be a fun set! I'm looking forward to cast commercials and promos, plus the interview with Charles Lane, who recently celebrated his 100th b-day! Its scheduled to be released Aug 30th.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This set is a "must buy" now, knowing what we do about the contents.

Gary "and you can't beat the price either" O.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
As Gary OS posted earlier, the episodes will all be first season episodes in order with the exception of the xmas episode.

I also emailed mpi for further information and Julie sent me a disc by disc breakdown. Here it is:

Hi

Here are the listings for Petticoat Junction.

Subject: Petticoat Junction Episodes and Bonus Material

Disc 1
1. Spur Line To Shady Rest
Air Date: September 24, 1963

2. Quick, Hide The Railroad
Air Date: October 1, 1963

3. The President Who Came To Dinner
Air Date: October 8, 1963

4. Is There A Doctor In The Roundhouse?
Air Date: October 15, 1963

5. The Courtship of Floyd Smoot
Air Date: October 22, 1963

6. Please Buy My Violets
Air Date: October 29, 1963

7. The Ringer
Air Date: November 5, 1963

Disc 2
1. Kate's Recipe For Hot Rhubarb
Air Date: November 12, 1963

2. The Little Train Robbery
Air Date: November 19, 1963

3. Bedloe Strikes Again
Air Date: November 26, 1963

4. Uncle Joe's Replacement
Air Date: December 3, 1963

5. Honeymoon Hotel
Air Date: December 10, 1963

6. A Night At The Hooterville Hilton
Air Date: December 17, 1963

7. Herby Gets Drafted
Air Date: December 31, 1963

Disc 3
1. Bobbie Jo And The Beatnik
Air Date: January 7, 1964

2. My Daughter, The Doctor
Air Date: January 14, 1964

3. Hooterville vs. Hollywood
Air Date: January 21, 1964

4. Visit From A Big Star
Air Date: January 28, 1964

5. Last Chance Farm
Air Date: February 4, 1964

6. The Very Old Antique
Air Date: February 11, 1964

Bonus Features
* Original Sponsor Commericals with Cast

* Network Promo

* Documentary: The History of Hooterville

* Cast Interviews

* Special Footage

* English Subtitles

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've never really seen Petticoat, but I like the rural comedies such as Andy Griffith and the Hillbillies, so I may give it a shot. I probably wouldn't have with a best-of, but since this is basically a "season 1, volume 1," I'm more likely to try it.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I will go ahead and buy it because it is episodes from the first season and they are rarely seen. If they dont do season sets, I wont have them at all. In the meantime I will hold on to my Columbia House VHS copies of the show.
They said it was about half the first season. The Beverly Hillbillies is most of the first season. I want the Cousin Pearl episodes most of all so I will buy that one too. They may run into snags on both shows now that Paul Henning is dead.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
While season sets are preferable, it seems that they are doing this right, releasing them in order from episode 1. I've only got about 20 of the black and whites so I look forward to picking this up.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I've been buying the Dark Shadows set from MPI. I like the fact that they have included interviews with the cast and
crew. The extras on Petticoat Junction look just as good.
If they have anything on Green Acres then it will be more than MGM put in their Green Acres sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks