What's new

Petticoat Junction - Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I hummed and hawed when I saw it trying to decide if it was worth buying - so I went ahead and bought a copy and now I must confess - I actually enjoy watching it. It had been so long since any of the episodes were on tv and being quite young myself when it aired that my concern was it might be a bit too corny in my older age. I need not have worried. It's a show that grows on you and the theme song always manages to get me tapping my foot. To quote " Lot's of curves you bet and even more when you get, to the Junction. Petticoat Junction"
There is an informative intro before each episode by Linda Kaye Hemming and a decent number of Bonus Features, including:

Documentary The History Of Hooterville
Original Sponsor Commercials With Cast
Network Promo
Cast Interviews
Special Footage

Included are 20 0f the first season episodes released through MPI mainly because as I understand it Paramount ownes the rights to the rest. Please correct me if that is not the case. Well worth the money spent I thought.

BradleyK

Auditioning
Brent, I'm also in Vancouver and I've been unable to find a copy of this collection anywhere. Well, okay not anywhere, but I haven't found it at Best Buy or Future Shop, which are good bets for most sets. Where'd you get yours?

Currently I've got it ordered from amazon.ca but their estimated shipping date is November 1...

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Bradley -

I found mine at C&L, I don't have a direct link for you but try a search with CNL.com and hopefully you will find it. Or you can PM me but I won't be able to reply until the evening. I bought my copy on Friday and I believe they had 3 or 4 in total.

BradleyK

Auditioning
Thanks for that tip, Brent -- I've never heard of C&L. It's a bit far for me (no car), but I'll try to get out there on the weekend.

Looking forward to this set. Loved the show as a kid in the 70s when I saw it in syndication. The station I watched in on even aired the black and white episodes (which from what I've heard was rare), and I've seen only the colour episodes since, when they aired on PRIME.

I bought the seven public domain episodes and really enjoyed them, so can't wait to see more early episodes. The special features sound good, too. Sad to hear that the outlook for future releases is grim.

MPI seems to do an excellent job with more obscure releases. The Doris Day set was great...

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
This makes me wonder if The Beverly Hillbillies, also released by MPI, will be released in Vancouver.

What else has MPI, released?

Maybe A&B Sound is a good place to search.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I got mine at Deep Discount, they don't look as good as Green Acres but that's understandable. One thing I like seeing is the change of Sam Drucker between this series and GA, GA is so much more slapstick and Surreal. PJ is a good show thou and it's good to see just how funny Uncle Joe was in this series.

I'm looking forward to BH in a couple of weeks.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm. I've also ordered it from Amazon.ca, and my shipping date estimate is next week.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
It's a great set. I got mine from DDD as well, and feel it was a smart purchase. I can't ever remember seeing these first season black & white episodes, so it's like watching the series for the first time. And yea, Uncle Joe was hilarious!

Gary "and the extras on this set are very nice as well" O.

BradleyK

Auditioning

When I ordered mine, there was no estimated shiping date listed on the product page, although when they set the order confirmation to me, it said November 1. I e-mailed them about it, and they said that they didn't think it would be that long, but because they didn't have a confirmed shipping date they quoted an estimate that erred on the side of caution.

Later, I noticed that the product page had shipping listed at 12-14 days, so I called to ask about the discrepancy. They apologized for the mix-up and gave me free overnight shipping, which was nice. They did mention though, that they still weren't certain when they would receive a shipment. I have to say that the response time to my e-mail was really quick and they were very friendly on the phone.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This is a great set that collectors should be really grateful for.
It is the kind of set that spoils me for other tv show releases because of the extras and the care that Linda Kaye Henning and the Henning estate took with its release.

However...these episodes appear to me to be
the Henning family's personal copies. What do i mean by that?
Well, they don't look as good as some of these did when
released on vhs by Columbia House.
The CH releases were gorgeous/pristine copies.

This MPI dvd set looks to my eye to be unrestored
films that may come straight from the Henning family archive.
This doesnt mean they look atrocious, far from it,
but many are a bit fuzzy, and have flecks and specks.

This is carping, however, and should not prevent anyone
from purchasing this set.
It is one of the favorites that i have ever purchased, in fact.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Uncle Joe - yes it wouldn't be same without his remarks. The standard " your pathetic " and one that I remember on the third episode: " Your the only person I know that can get sparks from a knife and fork ". Or words to that effect on the Railway Presidents' eating habits at the dinner table. (He was hiding his identity). Some of his comments really crack me up - his casual sarcasm really hits the mark.

BradleyK

Auditioning
Was just checking the Shady Rest Message Board, and a regular (and reliable) poster there wrote that she spoke with Linda Henning the other day. Apparently the Henning family is speaking to Paramount to try to get the rights for future releases -- great news!

Finally found a copy of this set last weekend (at C&L -- thanks for that tip, Brent), and I have to say that they did a terrific job with this release. The bonus material is amazing -- especially the 45 minute documentary. Couldn't believe how great Frank Cady still looks and sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks