What's new

Petition for Harry O to be Released on DVD (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Everything seems to have gone silent on this. How is it that Pac-Man get a release and this doesn't even get a MOD release?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's a little sad yes, but the year is still young so I haven't given up hope yet. And they did say a release this year was on the table, I just wish they'd do the right thing and choose the better quality format. But they're a bit behind on everything at the moment it seems, last year they said the second season of The F.B.I. would appear by the end of the year. That didn't happen, instead it looks like April for that WAC title. Lots of cartoons appearing right now, not sure why they're concentrating on that presently. But I have a splendid tip for them here though; how about leaving the two Harry O pilots for the MODs and releasing the show itself on DVD. Surely it's worth the superior disc format given its star and cult status. I mean, If Scarecrow & Mrs. King or Logan's Run can why not Harry O, one of the best 70s detective series. And it's such a highly repeat viewing show, thanks to a perfect Janssen primarily, for that alone it'd be a shame to settle for the inferior DVD-R as many fans would wear those cheap shaky discs out in no time.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The sort of news about the first season of Harry O, posted in another TV on DVD and Blu-ray thread (more like progress on the status of the first season) is very welcome. Not even going to hazard a guess as to when the set will be ready, but at least there's some progress.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
WaveCrest said:
The sort of news about the first season of Harry O, posted in another TV on DVD and Blu-ray thread (more like progress on the status of the first season) is very welcome. Not even going to hazard a guess as to when the set will be ready, but at least there's some progress.
I've been burned enough on this. I got suckered once when all we got was the second pilot. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
I'll believe it when I see it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson /t/299715/petition-for-harry-o-to-be-released-on-dvd/60#post_3929685
I've been burned enough on this. I got suckered once when all we got was the second pilot. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
I'll believe it when I see it.

It's more of a cautious response from me with regards to this update on the status of the first season of Harry O. Only thing not mentioned in the Warner Archive's answer, is the first pilot TV movie. Taking the update with a pinch of salt.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Some more cool update from the WAC wall on their Harry O requests, short but sweet; "Harry will be here sooner than later, do not fear!".

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
The first season is coming very soon from Warner Archive... like within hours of this posting (July 10th). I know this because I received a forwarded copy of an email from their PR people. I'm excited about this!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
skees53 said:
The first season is coming very soon from Warner Archive... like within hours of this posting (July 10th). I know this because I received a forwarded copy of an email from their PR people. I'm excited about this!
This would be great news! There also might be hope that o'Hara treasury agent may also be released. I love classic crime drama and Harry O would be a great addition to my collection!

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
It's also listed on Movies Unlimited with a release date of 8/17 on there (which is usually about a month after Warner Archive releases it on their own site), according to their listing:
All 22 episodes from the debut season--including "Gertrude," "Coinage of the Realm," "Material Witness," "Sound of Trumpets," and "Street Games"--are featured in a six-disc set. 20 hrs. total. Standard; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital mono: original pilot episode "Such Dust as Dreams Are Made On." **22 episodes on 6 discs. 20 hrs.**
I'm doing a review of the set for another website and my review copy was shipped today... I can't wait to get it!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
skees53 said:
It's also listed on Movies Unlimited with a release date of 8/17 on there (which is usually about a month after Warner Archive releases it on their own site), according to their listing:
All 22 episodes from the debut season--including "Gertrude," "Coinage of the Realm," "Material Witness," "Sound of Trumpets," and "Street Games"--are featured in a six-disc set. 20 hrs. total. Standard; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital mono: original pilot episode "Such Dust as Dreams Are Made On." **22 episodes on 6 discs. 20 hrs.**
I'm doing a review of the set for another website and my review copy was shipped today... I can't wait to get it!
Excellent David, looking forward to reading that and of course getting this set it's been a while since I've seen the earliest episodes. As a big fan of the series, I want to thank WAC for releasing this!

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait. This is one of the few series I originally had on VHS that I am still waiting to get on DVD or BluRay.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Since they started doing a limited number of pressed discs for the 1st batch on most of their new recent releases and it appears to be their new standard going forward I would be very surprised if the initial batch of this release is not pressed discs as well. Even their latest HB release: The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan is a limited pressed disc release. So if you really care about pressed disc vs DVD-r then it will not pay to hesitate too long on this title. Because the plan on these is once the limited run is out then all future releases of the title will be DVD-r. No word yet on how many pressed disc they are making per title.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
In case anybody is wondering why it isn't available yet... check this: http://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive/posts/10151091700921563
"New Releases are delayed by a day. This week, Wednesday is Tuesday."
So we've got another day to wait on this...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Excellent update on the first season of Harry O. Thanks David for posting this news update.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Randy Korstick said:
Since they started doing a limited number of pressed discs for the 1st batch on most of their new recent releases and it appears to be their new standard going forward I would be very surprised if the initial batch of this release is not pressed discs as well. Even their latest HB release: The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan is a limited pressed disc release. So if you really care about pressed disc vs DVD-r then it will not pay to hesitate too long on this title. Because the plan on these is once the limited run is out then all future releases of the title will be DVD-r. No word yet on how many pressed disc they are making per title.
If they are actually issuing pressed discs as part of the WArchives, they sure don't know how to capitalize on it. I am not alone in spurning the MOD dvd-r editions, but i'd be over the moon if they announced Harry-O was available on standard pressed discs. I'd be at the head of the line -- so why wouldn't they advertise this fact? TCM does exactly that and it no doubt creates a nice early surge in business; Twilight's limited pressing created some good sales #s (for some of its short pressed line)... Of course, i'm still being penalized for not living in the US, but there's always a way to get around that loophole if the disc is pressed.
Overall, if this news is accurate then it is a tribute to those of you who've pushed so loudly to get Harry-O out. Congrats on your successful lobbying! Great job!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They just started doing it unannouced for the last two release weeks and it was not all the titles but most. They made no annoucement about it but confirmed they were doing it on Facebook. So it maybe an experiment for them but since Harry O is a big title I would expect it will get an initial pressed disc release. Why they haven't annouced it I do nt know. Maybe they don't think its that big of a deal it certainly makes no difference to me the picture quality is the same and there is absolutely no proof that a quality DVD-R as they are using will go bad in any shorter time then a pressed DVD will. Poor quality media DVD-R may not last that long but thats not an issue here.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this post in another forum that gives a little bit of an official annoucement from them. It sounds like it will continue to be select titles and not all.:
Lou Lumenick's NY Post column has this to say about the new "Forbidden Hollywood" collections: "The Warner Archive Collection, which introduced major studio MOD releases and has steadily become more sophisticated in its approach to the classics, today revives its 25-year-old Forbidden Hollywood label (introduced in the VHS era) with a pair of four-title sets of pre-code goodies (which are not co-branded with TCM like their three retail DVD predecessors). Warners' George Feltenstein told me these sets will initially be available as pressed DVD discs, at least until the initial limited run is exhausted and they're switched over to WAC's normal burned-on-demand DVD-R format.
These are the first theatrical features that WAC has made available on pressed discs, which had previously been used only for some TV collections and the recent set of "Crime Does Not Pay'' shorts. Feltensein indicated this would only be used for "selected multi-disc sets'' as a manufacturing efficiency and that most releases will continue to be released on burned discs. "The whole MOD model is designed to avoid excess inventory, which is a real problem in the DVD industry.''

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Called the WB Shop to check on it, and they have no record of the title yet. The operator told me to try again on Monday.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This hasn't been some very late April Fool's joke has it? The first season is being released on DVD very soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks