What's new

Peter Pan Platinum Edition in March 2007 (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

You might want to trademark that one right now. Sounds like something Disney would use to market it. :)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I can't believe SONG OF THE SOUTH still hasn't gotten one single North American video release, yet the overtly racist PETER PAN gets yet another. Not that I'm against PAN being on video, of course, but hey, that film is much more racially offensive than poor SOTS.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

For there to be "racism" there has to be some malice intended. I see none in "What Make the Red Man Red", it's just embarassingly, cringe-inducingly politically incorrect. But there was clearly no hate intended. To see how far we've come in terms of sensitivity, just compare this to Disney's Pocahontas.

-Lyle J.P.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It does seem strange for PETER PAN (much as I like it) to get a third DVD release when DALMATIANS has had only one (which I didn't buy since I had the laserdisc, and the DVD didn't seem an upgrade. Their covers were basically the same).

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
But it's not racist. These are not Native Americans. They are an imagined tribe of Neverland Red Indians living in a make-believe world (not America) as imagined by a bunch of pre-teens living in Victorian England who have never been to America and who only know about Native Americans from adventure stories. They are not supposed to be a portrayal of real Native Americans, and it would be unrealistic and unfair to expect a more sensitive portrayal.

Real Name
Robert
I'm still pissed that "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" didn't have all the classic material from the Disney show on it. That should be the point of these releases: archival/historic representations of the films that put Walt Disney on the map, not pimping out some piece of shit direct to DVD sequel.

The DVD makes up for that with loads of historical information not included on the 20,000 Leagues laserdisc, and the fantastic documentary covers the same information, only better, and includes shots from the TV show you're referring to (in this instance, "Operation Undersea").

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Nice whitewash attempt. That's one of the most naive statements I've ever read.

If PETER PAN depicted an imagined tribe of goofy degrading Neverland Black People living in a make-believe world (not America) as imagined by a bunch of pre-teens living in Victorian England who have never been to the slave-trading South and only know about it from stories, would you have made such a statement?

Look, I know the film is a product of its time. All I'm saying is that if SOTS is racist, PETER PAN is ten times more so. SOTS treats the black characters with sensitivity. PETER PAN treats its "Red Indian" characters with anything but.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul

Precisely. The context should make it abundantly clear that that's the case. Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks