What's new

Peter Pan Platinum Edition in March 2007 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Robert
If it doesn't retain the commentary track from the SE release, every single one of you should pass on it. Roy Disney, Kathryn Beaumont, John Canemaker and others appear on the SE commentary track and its a real joy. The Disney PE's have sadly abandoned commentary tracks...none on Lady and the Tramp, none for Cinderella. If this PE doesn't contain the SE commentary track, pass on it and tell Disney why.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Also, "Alice in Wonderland" included the Christmas Day, 1950, Walt Disney television special. There was a follow-up special the next year, providing a sneak preview of "Peter Pan" (on CBS on Christmas Day, 1951, more than a year before the movie was released.) The guests included Driscoll and Beaumont. That show should be included in this so-called Platinum Edition as well, if you ask me.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I don't see anything in those specs that would make me upgrade. I remember being pretty impressed by the PQ & commentary on the SE.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And given the poor quality issues with the recent PE of "The Little Mermaid," I wouldn't be surprised if this PE of "Peter Pan" might even be a step backwards in quality.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Especially if it is given a "Disney Enhanced Home Theater" track. The only thing enhanced about those tracks is my sense of dread.

-Lyle J.P.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Lowry Digital did a remaster of Peter Pan, so maybe this won't suffer as much as TLM. The previous SE is loaded with DVNR to the point of lines smearing all over the place.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
They seem to be not actually accentuating the commentaries on Disney DVDs. I think it's rather sad when the big selling point (according to Disney) is the song redone by Disney tween bands. Little Mermaid didnt list the commentary on the back of the box and was only listed as audio commentary (no mention of who the participants were) on the "features" map inside the box. I think they might've said the participants on the disc menu.

In other words, we may not find out till the reviews start coming out if the commentary is there. My guess is that it will be there.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm annoyed they're dumping peter pan in the schedule, I was hoping for 100 dalmations and jungle book, instead we get Peter pan (one I bought when it went back in the vault and have never watched) and Jungle Book. This may be the first platinum title I don't buy.

I suppose this means 2008 will be 101 dalmations and pinocchio?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

How can it be, when you can fly around london or some other bullshit game? You realize that cartoons are for kids, not collectors right??

Now that I know about this special, I probably wont buy the upgrade ("Upgrade is being used tentativly, as apparantly Disney has choosen to re-define this term in such a way that I wont be buying Little Mermaid.) if it's not on there. I'm still pissed that "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" didn't have all the classic material from the Disney show on it. That should be the point of these releases: archival/historic representations of the films that put Walt Disney on the map, not pimping out some piece of shit direct to DVD sequel.*

It's so sad, sad, sad that Disney feels it's worth crapping all over the it's accomplishments for the $.

*And before anyone asks me how I can pass judgement on a direct to video sequel I haven't seen, I ask that you hold off on this question until you've actually watched it yourself so as to save yourself embarrasment when I say "Told ya so." ;)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Return to Neverland was not a direct to DVD sequel. It had a fairly successful theatrical run.

-Lyle J.P.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I think he's talking about the upcoming Tinkerbell thing.

I'd like to think if Walt Disney himself were still around to plan these DVDs, they'd be outstanding. Believe it or not, he never put money first. People were different in those days.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know..but it is. Also, the Peter Pan special was a featurette entitled "The Peter Pan Story" and it is already on the Special Edition that was released. It will probably be on the Platinum as well..notice it says "and much more." It runs 12 mins.

Stephanie B

Agent
Real Name
Stephanie
ooh i love peter pan i just hope the picture quality will be good if it is then im definetly buying

oh will it be in fullscreen or widescreen

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Well this has left me confused now.
I understood that Disney initially planned to release a Platinum edition once a year and that the first was Snow White. Halfway through, they increased output to 2 a year- one in February and one in October. Altogether there were 10 titles and there are now 2 left unreleased-101 Dalmations and The Jungle Book. Logically these 2 would be released next year and it was then presumed older, out of print titles, may then re-appear on one of the HD formats.
So although Jungle Book has had a release on DVD, 101 has never been released. So why has this been left out, if reports of Peter Pan and Jungle Book next year are correct and Snow White and Pinocchio for 2008?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
101 Dalmations has indeed been out on dvd; it was put out many years ago. It deserves a Platinum, or at least any kind of re-release at this point. I assume if Robin Hood can get the royal treatment, so can Dalmations, which is at least 10 times more popular. 101 Dalmations possibly won't even have a PE, just something like a "Lots of Spots" edition, or whatever stupid slogan they use to sell it.

RomanSohor

Second Unit

7 years would have gone by by then, the "original" length of the Disney Moratirum... though initially I thought it was now 10 years.

Also, 101 Dalmations was released the same time as the Jungle Book, back in the first wave of animation on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks