What's new

Pet Peeve re: Gwangi (1 Viewer)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
This is me being anal retentive.

Gwangi is a dinosaur named "Gwangi."

So the movie's title is The Valley of Gwangi.

It isn't Valley of the Gwangi.

I just ordered the DVD from Deep Discount DVD, despite the fact that they got the title wrong.

What is so hard about this? I mean, there isn't even such a thing as "a gwangi"!

Jan
Who obviously doesn't have enough to worry about.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Watch the movie again, and notice that before they get to the "valley" an old Mexican woman/Gypsy just says "Gwangi" which I took to be a name they call the dinosaur of their legend. Hence, the "Valley of Gwangi." I don't think that Gwangi is their word for dinosaur which in Spanish is "dinosaurio" (pronounced dee-no-sow-rio).
Gwangi could be considered a "proper" name, much like Michael, Stephen, Susan, etc. You wouldn't say "The Valley of the Michael." would you?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Took me a while, but what Jan's complaining about is that DDD screwed up the listing to read "Valley of the Gwangi." Not that the actual movie title is wrong.

Yes, Jan, you need something to occupy your time. ;)

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
DDD are not the only ones getting it wrong. DV-Depot also has it listed as Valley of the Gwangi. Could it be an erroneous listing from some distributor, maybe?

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
When I was a kid I used to call it 'Valley of the Gwangi'. I was about 14 or so before I noticed the lack of 'the' in the title :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
You mean a website had some errors? Whoa, Im canceling my internet service right now. ;)

Yesterday, a friend of mine called "The Two Towers" just plain old "Two Towers." I corrected him immediatly, and intructed him to never say that again. I dont want him looking like a jerk or anything. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

At least he didn't call it "The Twin Towers." One of the theaters around here actually listed it that way when it came out last year. How ignorant. :rolleyes

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
DDD has the lastest Mystery Science Theater 3000 box set listed as "MST3K"... so unless you search by that name, you won't find it. Lame.

Gwangi rocks.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Jan, you must have had a field day with the movie (that MST3K also used) called "Attack of the the Eye People" because the title was that way on screen.

Jimmy!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Jimmy,

Actually, the title is Attack of the the Eye Creatures.... :)

(I gotta get a life, or at least borrow one for awhile.)

Jan

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have another pet peeve about this movie, which is one of my favorites. Why, oh why, in a movie with such wonderful animation did they have to have a couple of clunkers?

I suppose the answer is that Harryhausen had nothing to do with those effects. Too bad they didn't aspire or have to money to better match his work.

When Gwangi breaks through the cave entrance to escape the valley and the rockslide brings him down, it is so obviously a stiff model. And the closeups of Carlos wrestling the pterodactyl are equally bad.

The bad effects take you out of the fantasy and into a bad movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks