What's new

Pet Food Recall (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In that MSNBC article, its pretty clear that Menu Foods does not know what is causing the deaths, but they go on to say

If they don't know what is killing pets how can they be certain the Chinese wheat was the problem? BTW, do we have a shortage of wheat? Why do we have to get wheat from China?

BTW, we feed our cats Science Diet WD dry, so we're not happy to see the recall expand to a SD dry prescription food.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As with most products, it's probably cheaper to import wheat from China than to buy domestic.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One post removed because of political nature.
Please keep this civil.

Thanks!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It's pretty sad to learn that they are adding melamine to increase the perceived protein content, without actually increasing it. I wonder how many other products in the food chain are getting similar "enhancements".

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Some of the articles are now talking about the possible presence of a second contaminant -- I think they referred to a pool cleaning chemical.

The FDA has said that thousands of hogs who ate the contaminated pet feed are unfit for human consumption. (The hogs got it because it spilled on the floor, etc. After that, vendors wouldn't/couldn't use it as pet food, but they had no trouble selling it for hog chow.)

Those hogs will be destroyed, but I believe the news reports said that 300 or so hogs that ate the food are already in the human food supply chain.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
One of the vets in the office I take my dogs to is married to a Korean-American that is working in South Korea right now. Even before the problems here in the U.S., he said that the people that live in South Korea go out of their way to avoid imported Chinese "people" food because they consider in dangerous.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

I hope it's not too late to do that, but I fear that it is.

In fact we don't really "trade" with China. We buy a lot of stuff from them - they don't buy much from us. The trade is so "one way" that we end up with so many empty shipping containers that we are building homes out of them (saw it on CNN).

I also heard that China has a world monopoly on the production of Vitamin C. This doesn't just affect supplements, but anything that has Vit C added to it.

It's quite scary that we are importing so much from China that ends up in our food supply and we have no controls on it. Our own producers can't compete because they have to follow the rules and have a certain amount of oversight. Also, they can be sued if a product causes harm. Try suing China!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks