What's new

Personalized License Plates...The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I remember hearing about a little red sports car that was pulled over by the cops...the license plate was something like "IM16-DWI" - I wonder why they were pulled over ;) That's just ASKING for trouble.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Malcom, Micke - thanks for the info. Over here, the cheapest is about £400 to buy (thogh thereafter I don't think it costs any more than a usual plate though it costs to transfer it to another car). Plus, there are a lot more restrictions on Brit plates which rather cramp what you can do.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've seen quite a few nerdish plates in my area:

- Linux
- Unix
- 1337 (and also '1EEt')

If you understand all of these then you are as sad as I am...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
On a Ford: PHUQGM

Yes, I had a model plate: 72DUSTER (Of course a sublime green '72 duster registered in 2000 needed a little bling bling). Too bad I don't have the car anymore.

And the infamous

6A4EVR alternately GAYFVER whichever you find funnier.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Here in Illinois, the cost is minimal if you want "personalized" plates, which must contain at least 1 number (such as IRISH 1). Once it's issued to you, the annual renewal is no more than a standard plate. However, "vanity" plates are defined as ones with no numbers (IRISH) or certain one-, two-, or three-digit numbers (007). Those cost about $80 to order and then an extra $80 or so every year.

As mentioned by others, any offensive phrasing can be denied, or revoked if it was already issued.

My biggest complaint with the system is the antiquated way in which you choose the plates. You have to mail in three choices; if those are already taken, or deemed offensive, they send you a notice in the mail. In today's computerized age, I don't know why it's such a hard thing to offer an online database from which to search possible combinations and see immediately if they are available (with the understanding that your order could be cancelled if found offensive).

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Some of the more interesting plates on the Corvette Forum I
go to..

IFLUBYU

COPBAIT

YUDLOSE

LPETTC5
Lingenfelter Twin Turbo C5

CATCHME

BLONDC5

KINGZ06
Owner of Vette Essentials last name is King

BYEFORD

ALLUCEE
All You See... The back end.. :)

LEGEND
The Legend Lives (You have to know Vette's to get it..)

There are countless thousands more :)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I used to have XTSKI on my old 4Runner, wish I'd kept it. I couple I've seen recently that I liked were BIOCH, SXLDV8, and FAA HQ (how the guy got that one by DMV I have no idea, and I don't care if he works for the FAA). Made me think of trying for FAAHQ2 but I'll pass for now. When I get a chance to upgrade my vehicle, I'll probably go with HAUDI, LOTR, or A4ALEX, if they're still available.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I own a Pontiac Aztek, like this one.

Right after I got it, someone said it looks like a warthog (note the tusks/fog lights, nostrils/grill, fat butt/chopped off back end)

So, my personalized plates are PUMBAA!

I also liked the plate FAAAAQ, but the DOR figured it out.

Johnny Mo

Agent
Here's mine

My Expedition in the photo is gone, but I still have the plate on the SUV I replaced it with.

The story behind the "ITSWICKD" is in 1998 when Lexus first introduced the (redesigned) GS they went with a "Something Wicked This Way Comes" theme, so I thought it was fitting.

Bruce F

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
Ah, sorry... thought I gave enough clues. I had an Acura Integra, hence:

TE MY GRA

is My in tegra :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My Next license plate is gonna say:
QUIT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT MY PLATES SAY AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD

-Do you think they can fit all of that on a plate? :D

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The funniest one I saw was "DOUSWLO", actually what made me feel bad was how long it took me to figure out what it said.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The best I seen was a red C5 with RICEY :laugh:

Here's the one on my Maxima:

Only $10 in VA! It means 4-door sports car, the 3rd gen maxima slogan. VQ is the engine code, had to tack it on there because 4DSC was aready taken. The frame was just something stupid my friend dared me to put on. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks