What's new

Personalized License Plates...The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I was going to get personalized plates for my car, but then realized that I'm not that creative to have something that really stands out as being cool, so I scrapped the idea altogether. Here in the Atlanta area, I've seen some really cool ones such as:

MYQTNI (My cuty and I)
NARUSH (In a rush)
IML8 (I'm late)

I've also seen some just plain stupid ones such as:

HONDA (That took intelligence:thumbsdown: )
MYCAR (So, what!)
MYTOY (Not very creative)

So have you seen any cool plates in your area? I've abandoned the idea for now, but if I can get an idea that's really cool, I might reconsider it.

Bruce F

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
I always wanted to get this one:

TEMYGRA

But I sold the Acura before I was willing to part with the extra bucks to get it.

Bruce

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
The best one Ive ever seen was on a truck that came barreling up on me one night,,,it read TI3VOM,,,,,or,,,as it read in my rear view mirror,,,,MOVEIT

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah round here I see people with license plates of the model of their car...

"ES300" "LEXUS" "BMW X5" etc :rolleyes

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I wanted to get MYC5 for my 2000 Millennium Yellow Corvette
get it.. MYC5 :)

Or if that was taken.. 50GEEZ

But I never did bother :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Keith,

Technically it's a GM Y-Body C5 = Corvette Fifth Generation
but we're just splitting hairs, everything else was right :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I see a lot of these vanity plates with the car manufacturers logo on it.

At first, I was thinking about it, but when I actually saw one one another BMW I thought, why do I need another logo on the license plate when there's one on the hood? So instead, I got me a nice NY Rangers plate..come to think of it, considering how crappy they've been lately, maybe I should have gotten the BMW logo. :D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Question from an ignorant Brit: how much does it cost to get personalised plates in the USA? It costs a fortune here for even the most arcane ones, and the really good ones are usually auctioned (by the govt-run vehicle licensing authority)for sizeable sums of money.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Not joking.

Many years ago, in downtown San Francisco, I saw a Mercedes-Benz station wagon with the license plate "THX1138". Hmmmmm.....

A very recent photo of the cast of "American Graffiti", including Harrison Ford, Ron Howard and George Lucas, at Mel's Diner on Lombard Street in San Francisco also shows the license plate "THX 138" on a street rod.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

It varies by state, since each has their own Department of Motor Vehicles which sets their own fees. I know here in Vermont, it's an extra $30 per year on top of the regular registration fee.

Couple of controveries here over the past few years, as all vanity plates are supposed to be reviewed to ensure all are "PC" and "non-offensive." They issued the plate SHTHPNS to someone without realizing what it said. They then withdrew the plate, the person sued to get it back but lost.

Then the DMV refused to issue the plate IRISH to another person because they felt it could be seen as offensive in some way, by some people. That person sued and won.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I just saw a guy today with a god aweful looking new Chevy Avalanche (sans plastic body armor), bright yellow, with one of those cheesey trailer hitch ornaments that makes it look like a boat propeller..and the yellow license plate said: "YELOSUB"

:rolleyes

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, in Arizona it's $50 issuing fee + $50 annually as long as you keep the plate.

I've been thinking about getting one with my name (well, actually more like HTF user name). :) It's available at least: http://www.dot.state.az.us/mvd/Perso...lateSearch.htm

I also noted that ASSMAN is available (like Kramer had), but I don't know that they'd allow it. :)

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks