What's new

Personal pet peeve (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't care what people call me in the workplace.

What used to bug me is working with touchy-feely types. I've encountered two--one male, one female.

Nothing sexual mind you, but they had a habit of placing a hand (or hands) on my shoulder (or shoulders) when they were at my desk talking to me.

I know nothing was meant by it, but that really bugged me.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I've found that for some strange reason handyman type people (builders, contracters, etc.) use the term "guy" more than anyone else I've ever met. They don't use it so much when addressing other people, but they use it to refer to objects.

I.E. A pencil - hand me that guy over there
A drill bit - you just put this guy in here...
A tape measure - just stretch that guy out

Strange!

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I only call people "guy" or names like it when I can't remember their name (or read their security badge) There are 250+ people I support, I can't remember everyone's name.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
There's this woman that I work with that used to call me "little girl" ALL the time. I don't think she meant anything by it but I got SO irritated! C'mon, we're in a professional environment, nobody should call anybody "little girl", even if they're 20 years older than you are. I finally got so irked by it I turned around and called her "old woman". She got the hint and now refers to me by my first name instead.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I will agree that I will use names like "buddy" or "guy", etc.. when I don't know peoples names. I can remember faces but not names. Usually I don't say anything. I will just say, "Hey, how's it going?"

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
You people talk to your coworkers? :)

Actually, the office building maintenance guy here calls me guy when he sees me, I assume because he doesn't know my name. "Hey there guy, hw's it goin'?" I always found it odd: why doesn't he say "man" or "buddy" instead? :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Why do people need to use "guy" (or similar name) anyways? If I don't know someones name, I won't say "Hey guy, how's it going", I simply say "Hey, How's it going".

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
No one encounter the "my friend" tag?? As in "How's it going, my friend?" or "You busted the copier, my friend."

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The guy label bothers me quite a bit when it's spoken in a certain way. I knew this 'guy' who, whenever he saw me, said 'Heya, guy! Hows it goin, guy?' (over-annunciated the 'guy' to make it sound smarmy, fake and insincere). So yeah, it's about the sincerity of the remark.

'Guy' just strikes me personally (when spoken in that false flattery sort of way) as really condescending. But I'm sure there are people out there who aren't smarmy or anything and it wouldn't bother me.

I don't even mind 'boss' and 'chief.' But I do hate one term, regardless of who says it and in what context, and that is:

BRAW (or 'bro' with a long O)
'Hey, BRAW, what's goin on, Braw??'

~j

Hunter P

Screenwriter
One cat in our office looks like Curly of the Three Stooges. He always says "Dude" and "Right on, man" but only when talking to the "younger generation" in the office. He's in his fourties.

Personally, I decided to make "slugger" my new tag line.

Ex: "Excellent job on those TPS reports, slugger.":wink:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Mix things up, just flat out call people by the wrong names. :D

Say to Mary: "Hey there Jesse, what's up!"
Say to George: "Jack! How's it goin'!"

and when Mary corrects you, say "Sorry about that Karen!"

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread