What's new

Person of Interest Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Like I said, I'm not opposed to the idea of a Reese / Carter relationship, but it felt like it was never really developed until they decided to up the emotional stakes for Carter. A contrived plot point vs. something that arose naturally. In terms of romance, the show spent considerably more time (in that area) with Reese / Zoe than it ever did Reese / Carter. Just my $0.02.
To be fair, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, that scene in the morgue was not written as an expression of romantic feeling. That was something that the actors brought to scene on the day, including the kiss.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Reese felt respect for Carter in the first half of season one even as she was chasing him. IMO, that's why he got her numerous "collars" when he was leaving bunches of crumpled crooks in his wake.

Those first half episodes, when Carter was after him and Fusco was a mole, reporting to Reese about Carter, are some of my favorite episodes.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Someone can interpret the kiss as either platonic or not, but life and emotions are not always so cut and dried, so I like to see that moment as coming from a mix of feelings.

Watching the scene again, you have two characters first talking about their worst physical scars, moving on to the worst, emotional moments of their lives. They are trapped in a building with pursuers at their back, and both have doubts about surviving the night. True, the way Reese describes how Joss changed his mind about killing himself is a truncation of events, but I can totally buy that in his moments of quiet reflection he has felt intense gratitude for both Joss and Finch for what they did for him, giving him purpose but also friendship. With that big picture, sentimental view, then I can see how Reese feels Joss changed his life.

I don't think Reese had romantic feelings for Carter, but I do think he felt attracted to her, for the simple fact that Carter was an attractive person on a lot of different levels and, at the end of the day, Reese is a heterosexual man. So I think it's appropriate to call the kiss non-romantic, but naive to think it doesn't involve "I'm a man, she's a woman" type feelings. Reese no doubt has similar feelings of gratitude and loyalty towards Finch, but, for obvious reasons, Reese would never use a kiss to express how he feels about him.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As far as Tuesday's episode Lethe, I knew Camryn Manheim was not who she said she was as the programmer continued to not recognize her. I didn't expect her to be "Ma'am" though, so that was a nice twist.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re-sampled Lethe today and there is a lot of information present on the screen in terms of what The Machine is doing / thinking at the end of the episode. In addition to the percentages that Bob listed in post #130 of this thread there is another piece of information that points to where this is headed...

As Robert suggested:
The Machine will contact Root, who in turn will contact Reese and Fusco.
One of the boxes (in yellow) on the right hand side of the screen indicated: RETASKING ANALOG INTERFACE

Given the distances involved I'm not sure if Reese and Fusco can assist, but Root will be directly involved in some capacity.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One other thought about Lethe - Is Samaritan viable and operational? If yes, it makes me think of that great older film Colossus: The Forbin Project which dealt with two similar machine intelligences built by the U.S. (Colossus) and the Soviet Union (Guardian) and the implications of their mutual cooperation.

If Samaritan exists will it be a cooperative relationship or an antagonistic one? Lots of intriguing possibilities as the show continues to develop its mythology.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
Yes, I had read somewhere it was a clip show, too, but thankfully, I recorded it anyway.
The summary for the show was "Flashbacks reveal Finch's creation of the machine .." which sounded like to was going to show clips of flashbacks that we had already seen. Instead it really had nothing to do with that and set the groundwork for a what will probably be a whole bunch of new episodes in the new year.

I guess it will hit the ground running January 7.

"If they don't want you to get inside they ought to build it better" - a nice quote.

I think that they can stall long enough for help to arrive - just what form that help will be is debatable.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Re-sampled Lethe today and there is a lot of information present on the screen in terms of what The Machine is doing / thinking at the end of the episode. In addition to the percentages that Bob listed in post #130 of this thread there is another piece of information that points to where this is headed...

As Robert suggested:

One of the boxes (in yellow) on the right hand side of the screen indicated: RETASKING ANALOG INTERFACE

Given the distances involved I'm not sure if Reese and Fusco can assist, but Root will be directly involved in some capacity.

- Walter.
I didn't spot that. Another set of boxes had all those other ai programs as deactivated and then changed the status of Samaritan and started calculating the % change of conflict with it.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Cameron Yee said:
As far as Tuesday's episode Lethe, I knew Camryn Manheim was not who she said she was as the programmer continued to not recognize her. I didn't expect her to be "Ma'am" though, so that was a nice twist.
They gave it away to me personally right when Shaw said "The only people I trust are those in this room."

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wonder what Root will do now, after escaping.

At the final scene of tonight's episode (Aletheia), was that Julian Sand's character that was in the season 2 episode "Critical" ? (A former MI-6 agent). Or was it John Nolan's character "Greer" that ran Decima Technologies?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
That was Greer (evoking the well dressed man from X-Files for me) in the final scene.

I enjoyed the episode but the fire on Harold's Apple II really bugged me a lot. I would have been much happier with that scene if they had simply shown the information on the monitor turning into some sort of ascii dump of random characters. A fire extinguisher and a reboot will fix what ails a burning computer. *sheesh*

Oh, and stomping a tape cartridge hardly constitutes destroying a drive, although I suppose that was academic given what happened. And how would the fake bank employee know what type of cartridge to substitute? It's not like VHS and Betamax.

I would probably enjoy shows like POI and Intelligence more if I focused less on the technological improbabilities at times. *sigh*

The Reese and Fusco scenes were probably the best thing in the episode. I enjoyed Fusco's 'round two' comment. :)

- Walter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Walter Kittel said:
I would probably enjoy shows like POI and Intelligence more if I focused less on the technological improbabilities at times. *sigh*
On a tangent, wonder if how Holloway's character sees things from his point of view (in Intelligence), is similar to how Root sees things from her point of view (in POI).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
That was Greer (evoking the well dressed man from X-Files for me) in the final scene.

I enjoyed the episode but the fire on Harold's Apple II really bugged me a lot. I would have been much happier with that scene if they had simply shown the information on the monitor turning into some sort of ascii dump of random characters. A fire extinguisher and a reboot will fix what ails a burning computer. *sheesh*

Oh, and stomping a tape cartridge hardly constitutes destroying a drive, although I suppose that was academic given what happened. And how would the fake bank employee know what type of cartridge to substitute? It's not like VHS and Betamax.

The Reese and Fusco scenes were probably the best thing in the episode. I enjoyed Fusco's 'round two' comment. :)

- Walter.
That bother me as well as how did the machine knock out Control's bodyguards?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If Decima knew about the drives...and knew where they were, there is no "leap" to know what "secret drive" type is used.As for guards, some of them could have been reassigned. With all the crap Root gets out of...reassigning some guards is the least of the issues.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If Decima knew about the drives...and knew where they were, there is no "leap" to know what "secret drive" type is used.
Perhaps. My comment regarding the tape cartridges was based on the multitude of incompatible and different tape and optical mechanisms and media we used where I used to work. Due to the every changing advancements in storage technology we went through a number of hardware / software backup solutions over the years. In any event, a minor point.

- Walter.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, it was alluded to "we know two went missing". All three entities in play knew what the drives were. Especially when all three knew where...and all were clued into when.The bigger issue. How did Decima know the day to kill the bank manager...???

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In principle if one knows the approximate time period a system was made, one can guess what type of storage system might have been used. Most likely an off-the-shelf type of system that was easily available on the market during that specific time period.

It would be somewhat surprising if someone used a one of a kind custom made proprietary system for backup storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks