What's new

Perry Mason - Season 3 Coming in August (1 Viewer)

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
The 50th Anniversary set is really fun. The bonus disc has lots of goodies, but the chosen episodes are very interesting for a number of reasons, including the one episode shot in color, and the final episode.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
At that price, they could throw in one of the tv movies. It seems a shame that the tv movies are being buried. Consider you have 13 more releases if they get to the end. Take 3 per year and that means around 4 years before the original show is finished.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
By the way, the CBS website now has over 50 episodes of Perry Mason available for free viewing online. These episodes come from Seasons 1 and 2 and appear to be the same complete, unedited transfers that are used for the DVDs.

It's interesting though; the show has enough of a name to upload it online to their website, but not enough to release it as full season sets.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The split season format emerged originally to address the reality that many retailers like Wal-Mart refused to stock DVD sets over a certain price point. I have never felt I paid more for two split seasons than I would have for a single season set; in fact, I got both Lost In Space season two volumes for a combined total of less than I paid for the complete season one, all sets bought on original street date with no discounts at same retailer.

CBS must still be feeling cocky about their latest FUGITIVE release and decided to jack up the price on Mason S3V1.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The back of the Mason S3 package does NOT include the standard disclaimer about edited episodes/music replacements which has me hopeful these episodes are presented as originally broadcast.

The 50th anniversary set does have a disclaimer but I was unable to detect any edits and no reports of any have surfaced either.

In all the releases to date, only 1 episode has been edited (about 72 seconds worth). This appears to have been nothing more than human error as the same epidode was presented complete on the Columbia House subscription release and no music issues are at play with the missing scene.

You are a lot more optimistic than I am :) S1 - S3 have been brought out 2 volumes per year so essentially 1 season has been released each year. If S4 and onward get released we're looking at 2014 (literally) before the complete run is available.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If it's 2014 I wonder if the final releases will even be in DVD or will that format be on the way out by then...?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

There are some issues with the end credits, but I think I'll post about them on the anniversary set's thread because they don't involve S3 episodes.

EDIT: Whoops, Steve--I just noticed that you were one of the folks who had posted something on the end credits in the 50th-anniversary thread. Perhaps in this thread you were referring to edits within the body of the episodes.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Hi Dan,

Yes, I was referring to edits within the body of the episodes. However I agree with you 100% that it is important to preserve the end credits as originally presented. Complete and without digitally inserting the name of composers who replaced the original underscore.

Steve

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
That's classic, Dan :laugh:

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
The second half of season 3 was announced yesterday on tvshowsondvd.com. It'll have a Dec. 2nd release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Per...Volume-2/10294

It's hard to believe that they are pricing these Season 3 volumes at the same price as the 50th Anniversary Collection, what with each volume having less episodes and no extras. I think I'll wait til December to pick up them up, with the Deepdiscount sale. Or maybe I'll even wait til Deepdiscount has another sale on their Paramount TV sets like they are having now -- Perry Mason Season 1 and 2 volumes are at $20 each, and the 50th Anniversary is at $24.60. I was able to pick up Cheers Season 9 and Mod Squad S.1V.2 at a nicely reduced price.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I was thinking the same thing guys. What is it , $35 for the 1/2 season on Amazon! I will wait. If Paramount wants to kill future releases, they are doing a fine job!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
CBS/Paramount's decision to split up the season sets of "Perry Mason" may have something to do more from pressure from retailers. One of the biggest complaints by the stores is on how much space the box sets take up on their shelves. The fatter the box set, the less shelf space the store has for putting out the product. When the season sets are split up, it is almost like a regular DVD movie package so the retailer has more shelf space to give to the set and can, thus, move more product. The box is thinner and CBS/Paramount can sell more product.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Some potentially good news about the continuation of the series on DVD: the CBS Syndication Bible website that we all look to to see what series are being transfered to HD (since this has correlated to home video releases in the past) now indicates that Season 4 is in the process of being transferred to HD.

Other series with updates:

Mission Impossible - Season 7 now being transferred; that would complete the series
Hawaii Five O - S6...
Beverly Hillbillies - S3...
Gunsmoke - S3...

For kicks I looked up The Fugitive and it is still "stuck" at S2 with no transferring of S3 indicated. It would appear that the uproar over the butchered S2V1 release sent a clear message.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Very nice news, Steve. So happy to see PM still going strong and like you said, this is a great indicator of what's to come on dvd. And I have to laugh at the lack of FUGE transferring. What a surprise, huh? [Note appropriate sarcasm at this point].

On a negative note, I see that RAWHIDE has not moved pass Season 3 on its transfer schedule. That is not good news at all in my book. For once I'm hoping the Syndication Bible is somehow wrong or just hasn't been updated. I'd be devastated if RAWHIDE was dropped. That would pretty much send me over the edge completely.

Gary "as always, thanks so much for the update Steve" O.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No need to go over the edge, necessarily. Cannon, Matlock, Have Gun Will Travel and Jake and the Fatman, to name a few, have all been partially released, although the syndication bible indicates that none have been transferred to HD. It is an indicator, but not a guarantee.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

True, but the point is that as best I can tell CBS/Paramount doesn't start releasing a series they've gone to the trouble of transferring only to keep releasing the series yet not keep transferring it to HD. I've yet to see that happen. They may, as you pointed out, just decide not to transfer some series to HD and release it onto dvd anyhow. But they've never switched up in mid-series as best I can tell. Therefore I think there is cause for some concern. As I said, it might be as simple as the site not being up to date. Then again, it might be something worse. Until we get an official announcement for Season 4, Volume 1 of RAWHIDE, I'll continue to be worried - whereas with PERRY MASON I'm not at all worried because if the company has gone to the trouble of transferring the next season to HD we know they will release it on dvd.

Gary "I wonder how CBS/P determines which shows they will transfer to HD and which ones they won't - i.e. Mannix vs. Matlock" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks