What's new

Perfect Films - Do they Exist? (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
My definition of perfect

Star Wars Episode IV (I don't care which one.)

The Godfather

The Ten Commandments

Imitation of Life

Requiem for a Dream

The Dark Knight

The Searchers

Unforgiven

The New World

The Incredibles

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

One Froggy Evening and Duck Amuck are perfect films, IMO. It helps them that they have little time to err.

Don't forget Mickey Thru the Mirror and The Brave Little Tailor.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by jt19006
For a film to be considered perfect every performance, every line of dialogue, every shot, every costume, every musical cue...every detail of every aspect of the production has to be perfect.

I think that's making things too objective, like there's a list of criteria. In evaluating the filmmakers decisions, for me, it isn't just a matter of saying whether or not it feels like they made a good choice, but looking at the alternatives to see if other choices were truly better or just different (especially with dialogue).

I'd also say that there should be a minimum of 10 years after a film is released before it can be declared perfect (especially now that we have the Internet, where our impressions of things we see can become quite warped after years of a film's shortcomings being discussed).

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I submit that "Schindler's List" is, in my opinion, a perfect film. It has been a long time since I have watched it (I am really looking forward to seeing it on Blu Ray), but I thought it did everything right.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Steve,

Hard to comprehend that she's 82 years old.

Or 85 according to Wiki!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Fleischer's "Swing You. Sinners" and Bob Clampett's "Coal Black" are more perfect than any of the cartoons mentioned so far.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I don't have much to add to this thread but I was reading Roger Ebert's "Scorsese By Ebert" today and there was a review he posted on March 17, 1969 that said this:

To be sure, Scorsese was occasionally too obvious, and the film has serious structural flaws, but nobody who loves movies believes a perfect one will ever be made. What we hope for instead are small gains on the fronts of hope, love, comedy and tragedy. It is possible that with more experience and maturity Scorsese will direct more polished, finished films--but this work, completed when he was 25, contains a frankness he may have diluted by then.

Later in the book there's an interview with Scorsese where he talks about "perfect" films the first time you see them and how they change over time or how bad films slowly find greatness later in their years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks