What's new

People chewing in movies.... (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
...drives me nuts!
I went to see the poor "Firewall" movie this weekend and there is this part where the main bad guy is eating a cookie and it is just so friken annoying.
Then I started thinking about all the movies that have had annoying chewing in them. Anything with Sean Connery! One with Kevin Costner.. etc.. It's like they way over act during a "chewing scene" and it bothers the tar outta me.

Sorry, but I had too.

James@R

Second Unit
LOL...it's not always so bad.

I never get tired of watching Harry Callahan chomp on that hot dog while blowing punks away. :D

MattHR

Screenwriter
At first, I thought your post was about people in the theater making chewing noises (which I hate, along with the sound of crinkling plastic wrappers! :angry: )

The annoying chewing by the actors could be described as "chewing scenery," or melodramatic overacting.

I love the scene where Harry yells "Halt!" at the punk, as he sprays him with a mouthful of hotdog bun!

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator

Exactly! As a matter of fact I was trying to watch a movie at home on Saturday and my wife was eating potato chips and when she finished she rolled up the bag really loud for about ten seconds. :angry: That really irked me. When she left the room I got up and threw away the whole bag.

Also eating actors are completely annoying. I just don't see the need for it. Eating and talking just aren't meant to go together. What I hate even more are the finger lickers. That's what napkins are for.

OK I have finished venting for the day. Damn, that felt good! ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Same here. I HATE dinner scenes in films where people are eating and trying to deliver dialogue at the same time. Ugh!

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
People breathing in movies drives me nuts!
I went to see the poor "Firewall" movie this weekend and there is this part where the main bad guy is breathing the air and it is just so friken annoying.
Then I started thinking about all the movies that have had annoying breathing in them. Anything with Sean Connery! One with Kevin Costner.. etc.. It's like they way over act during a "breathing scene" and it bothers the tar outta me.

Sorry, but I had too.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm confused as to what you are talking about. Everybody breathes in movies. Are you advocating that actors hold their breath while they act?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:laugh:

I think he's taking the mickey out of that other thread, or is it the other way round? :crazy:

On the subject of 'breathing' Richard Gere has a trademark nasal snort that sort of bugs me on occasion. :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No problem, but I've combined your thread with the one that "inspired" it, so that the reference is clear.

M.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
What about people who go to the bathroom and don't wash their hands in movies or TV shows? Even Dr. Baltar was disgusted by that. Heh. I never saw Dreamcatcher, but there was a scene in the book where an alien had taken over this guy's body and was so disturbed by the new sensation of having to go to the bathroom that he didn't wipe. He just zipped up and got out of their as fast as he could. I was grossed out by that alien-possessed guy for the rest of his time in the book. "He didn't wipe! He didn't wipe!"

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

My point is they over-act while doing it. Like they move their jaw around trying to clean their back teeth, that type of "sick".
If I was in a real situation where I was with somebody who ate like Sean Connery or whoever, I would reach across the table and punch 'em. I actually think some actors think they look really cool while they are delivering a chewing scene.

MagnusT, get your own material...;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, Sean Connery always sounds like he's got a mouth-full when he talks. :)

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, the scene from The Hunt for Red October where Connery's character is eating with his officers immediately came to mind.

But at least it looked like he was enjoying whatever it was he was eating.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
This thread is great!

I can't beleive that the movie name has lost me (too much green). Robert Redford and James Gandolfini were in it. The one about the prison riot. Why can't I remember?

Anyway, theres a part where James G is hella chowin down on a sandwich. Its effin great! All the breaths for air and "mmmphh" sounds cracked me up so hard in the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks