1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

PDA remote controls any good?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Eric_L, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Well-Known Member

Here are two different ideas, and I find them both interesting. I thought I'd see if anyone else had any experience or thoughts. I did a search of HTF and came up empty.
    http://www.connected.tv/Home - PALM

http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html - PC

I am intrigued by the idea I can make a custom remote with a custom layout. I could put my mactros all where I want them and lable them simple enough for any guest to figure out.

I presently don't own any pda, so I can buy whatever.

2. BobAZ

BobAZ Well-Known Member

When I looked into this a couple years back, most PDA IR transmitters were only good for 10 feet or less. The newer models may be a bit stronger. If you are close to the equipment then you may not have a problem.

EDIT: I guess I should note that I tried it on a Palm III or IIIX. A friend had a Palm V and both of us didn't find the IR range adequate to use them as A/V remotes.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I tried omni-remote on a palm m100 and was very disapointed. Not only was the IR strength not quite enough, it also responded very slow to the press of a button. I've since went with a Pronto TS1000 and haven't looked back. The Pronto works great, has great IR distance, and has yet to disapoint me.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Well-Known Member

I have used the Nevo on my iPAQ 3970, but I find it is only useful for changing channels at bars and airports. The built-in library of codes is impressive. It is a nice bonus feature, but I am glad that it is not my main remote control. I much prefer the hard buttons on my MX-500.