What's new

pc entertainment center (1 Viewer)

betusik

Grip
Real Name
peter
i am planing to build pc system for my living room that would be sort of all in one system for playing movies, music and games and will replace my current three systems (bluray player, cd player, laptop). it will be hooked up to my lcd via receiver and long range wireless mouse and keyboard will be used for communicating with pc. i have already picked case, i need something elegant as it will sit in shelf in my living room, so i deceided for lian li pc-c33 or pc-c34f. i wanted some recommendation for which hardware to pick. processor, mb, graphic card, bluray drive... in past i built several pcs for me and family members but it has been a while and i feel i am sort of out of loop. i am thinking to spend $1200, maybe little more. i want to be able to play new games. how loud would be such system. am i better to consider liquid cooling?

thanks

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
For a media center, there is almost no real advantage to doing liquid, unless you are using something like a Zalman Resorator (entirely fanless) because almost any solution will be louder then a quiet fan. Your budget of $1200 should get you very far.

CraigH

Grip
Look into solid state hard drives. They are pricey but they are quiet. I am partial to AMD chips for bang for the buck.

Re: Lian Li boxes, I just built a pc using the Lian Li pc-v352. You will not be disappointed. They are more expensive but the workmanship was very good and the materials excellent. Besides all that aluminum looks great and helps keep the PC cooler.

And since you asked ;) here is what I used:

AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5; Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H MB; 8 mgs G.Skill Ram; Sapphire Radeon 4670 (HDMI); Cool Master 700w modular power supply (BTW if you are building yourself, especially in a smaller box, the modular power supplies make life much easier) LG 10x bluray burner. Logitech Wireless Keyboard; Asus 27" monitor, Western Digital 1tb hard drive (not SS).Windows 7. At newegg.com for about $1300

Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread