What's new

Pay to repair reciever? Or best to buy new? (1 Viewer)

lxmarch

Auditioning
Real Name
laurie
Please, do yourself a favor and forget Onkyo. I just had my 606 reciever (HDMI issue) repaired as it was still under the 2 year warranty however my dealings with the Customer Service Department at their New Jersey headquarters were so horrendous that I can catagorically state that I will never ever even CONSIDER purchasing another one of their products. Laurie M.

lxmarch

Auditioning
Real Name
laurie
Please, do yourself a favor and forget Onkyo. I just had my 606 reciever (HDMI issue) repaired as it was still under the 2 year warranty however my dealings with the Customer Service Department at their New Jersey headquarters were so horrendous that I can catagorically state that I will never ever even CONSIDER purchasing another one of their products. Laurie M.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Things like this is why I have never bought anything from eBay, and never will.

Are you sure everything was setup right? There are certain ways it has to be set, when dealing with HDMI and digital connections. They have to be just right. Just because you plugged it straight to the tv, and it worked, doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with the receiver. Of course, something could be wrong with it. Can happen with any brand. Just use the manual, and double check all the settings to make sure it's setup right, before saying the receiver is definitely a problem.

BTW.............

Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, etc., all the name brands require you buy from an authorized dealer, to get the warranty. That's just common, everyday business. Sorry if you are really having a problem with the receiver. Being a fairly recent receiver, it may be worth the repair. Call service center and see.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Before throwing in the towel I'd try a couple of things first, if you haven't already done so.

Try doing a factory re-set. The procedure should be in the manual. You can also try un-plugging it from the wall for a hour or so and plug it back in. Can't hurt.

How about sending the video straight to your display. It will mean changing the input on the tv onece in a while (or get a Harmony remote to do it for you) and your display will probably as good a job of up-conerting/scaling the signal.

If your BR player decodes the new formats and sends the signal out hdmi via LPCM then that's another way to get TrueHD and DTS-MA. It won't show up on the display but it will sound just as good.

As for buying on ebay, if you must then at least spring for a SquareTrade warranty. You can get one for just about anything, even many used items. Better than nothing.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses guys.

Thanks for the suggestions Ed. Yes, I do know it was setup correctly. And I usually do not buy from e-bay for the same reason. Ironicly this is the only time I've taken a chance with an ebay retailer and STILL got screwed. (not gonna go into the full story here)

Gene, I tried the factory reset with no success. As for video strait to the display, I have a 42" plasma wall mounted with the lone HDMI cord already in the wall. I did consider that, but it's way too much of a hasstle for something the reciever I bought should be doing anyway.

Anyway, I did bite the bullet and get the TX-SR608, because in addition to wanting it working, I wanted at least the manufacturer's warranty. And if I'm gonna spend money to repair it, and a 3rd party warranty on top of that, I'd rather just get the new one.

Thanks again guys!

P.S. I'm loving the 608 so far. It upscales to 1080p as opposed to 1080i, and has more HDMI ports for future expansion. And yes, I got it from an authorized dealer, taken strait from Onkyo's authorized dealer list. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks