What's new

Paul Newman's Birthday and no "Mackintosh Man", "Harper", "Drowning Pool&qu (1 Viewer)

It's been almost 10 years since DVD's inception. During this time, I can't believe that WB have not released any of Paul Newman titles ie..Mackintosh Man, Harper, The Drowning Pool, The Prize and many more.

ted:r

Second Unit
I am equally amazed. Also missing are "Somebody Up There Likes Me", "The Left Handed Gun", "The Rack" and "Sometimes A Great Notion". Its just mind-boggling.

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
I've always loved the Harper movies, and am surprised that they still aren't available on DVD. These two titles, and the others mentioned here should definately be inquired about during the next Warner chat.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The Mac Man has been on a steady rotation on INHD the last couple weeks but I haven't put it on my schedule to record as INHD's track record of showing cropped movies has turned me off to even to try watching anymore.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Harper and The Drowning Pool are long overdue.
The latter has some miraculous night-time photography by Gordon Willis. How he achieved that swampy, pulpy look to the night air I'll never know.

The MackIntosh Man is an under-rated John Huston classic and like, The Kremlin Letter, it's also long-overdue.

Let's not forget W.U.S.A. and Rachel, Rachel.

Second Unit
Meant to mention "Rachel, Rachel". And while we're on Joanne Woodward, what about "The Effect Of Gamma Rays On Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds", "The Glass Menagerie" (87), "Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams" and, especially, "A Big Hand For The Little Lady"?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I would certainly agree that The Left-Handed Gun is long overdue on DVD. It would be especially interesting to be able to compare Penn's and Peckinpah's very different treatments of the Billy The Kid / Pat Garrett relationship, now that we have the latter in a superb DVD edition. Penn's film may not have been so accurate historically - it was based on a Gore Vidal TV play - but it was interesting as it covered an earlier period. For example, we see Garrett getting married and how Billy disrupts the wedding, whereas Peckinpah's film shows only the fact that the relationship between Garrett and his Mexican wife has now become strained and distant. And both films cover Billy's capture outside the hut and his escape from the Lincoln jailhouse, but in very different ways.

I hope Warner will release this fine film during this year.

I really expected The Mackintosh Man to be out already since they mentioned it for a future release almost 2 years ago in the HTF chat.

I also think its very underrated. There's some terrific scenes in it such as Newman's escape from the mansion and later on the car chase through the stone lined roads of Ireland. A great score by Maurice Jarre and an excellent cast.

A little over a year ago when TCM aired the film I noticed there was a scene missing that was present in the version they ran on TNT years earlier. It was an extension of the pool scene and its one of my favorite scenes in the film. I hope whenever it reaches DVD this scene is not omitted.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Every time the Mackintosh Man is mentioned in this forum, I put in one of my long-running pleas for Warners to issue a John Huston box, which could include this film. My reasons for asking for it, however, are primarily to allow them to release 'Reflections In A Golden Eye' and a special edition of 'The Man Who Would Be King' (oops, I almost typed 'Kong' there!), hopefully with a commentary by Connery and Caine thrown in. Warners also own another Huston film with Paul Newman, 'The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean', which would complete a very nice quartet of films.

PatH

Second Unit
Crawdaddy:

It's Newman's first, I think, and he's appropriately earnest, but the real scenery-chewers here are Virginia Mayo and Jack Palance and that's why I want it.

PatH

Second Unit

Yes, Paul Newman has said many times its the worst film of the 50's. I'd kinda like to see it just for curiosity value, but there are so many other Newman's that need to be released on DVD before that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It has been rumored that there will be a Newman collection this year.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have akways enjoyed RALLY ROUND THE FLAG BOYS directed be Leo McCary with Paul and Joanne along with Joan Collins. A very funny movie.
I hope that Fox releases this soon.
I also do want "RACHEL RACHEL.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Don't forget the WW2 comedy " The Secret War Of Harry Frigg" ( '68? ). I believe it is owned by Universal - so we won't hold our breath on a release anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks