What's new

PATTY DUKE SHOW - Coming in September (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, things are more confusing than ever.

TVShowsonDVD updated their article about this release.

Now that the cover art is included, we can see the words "The Complete First Season." That's good.

However, the article has been updated, and instead of changing the 26 to a 36 in the press release from Shout! -- they changed the 36 to a 26 in the article!

It now reads: "The show ran for three seasons, and 26 episodes from the first season are included."

I'm guessing TVShowsOnDvd made the change based on the number 26 being given in the press release. However, I still think that's a typo, based on what the cover says. I'd like TVShowsOnDvd to contact Shout! and get this cleared up, although I must admit I'm not tossing and turning all night over it.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I really believed we never see this come to DVD. I will definitely be getting this. I don't know what it is about this show, but it's really good. Patty of course is great and William Schallert and Jean Byron Made a very charming set of parents. It brings back some good memories. I hope when it comes out that we eventually get all three seasons.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm satisfied that it's just a typo. Season 1 had 36 episodes, Season 2 had 36 episodes and Season 3 had 32 episodes. I'm not worried about this at all. But oh--that box cover art--Bleh! The poses are so...awkward...

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Actually, it's not the rights for Mr. Ed that's the legal black hole, it's issues about estates being compensated for the previous releases. TVonDVD.com had more info here: Mister Ed DVD news: DVD Lawsuit | TVShowsOnDVD.com

As for finishing the shows, Shout! looks pretty good, although I must confess I can't think of any abandoned shows by them off the top of my head. Know they finished Punky Brewster after some holdups and we know they're committed to finishing Transformers and GI Joe. Patty Duke doesn't worry me since they're done in three releases to be honest. Peyton Place will really be the one that will be the test.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

While Shout has been pretty good about not abandoning series, they're record isn't 100% spotless (but then again, who's is?). Two shows come to mind that have fallen off the schedule:

1) Ironside

2) Ozzie & Harriet

With the second, it's not like they were releasing season sets. Those were only "Best Of" releases so one could make an argument that that series was not abandoned. But with IRONSIDE there is no doubt. It was not completed and right now I'm not sure things look very good.

Overall I do agree that Shout does a solid job with getting things out. But they have an awful lot on their plate right now. Much more than they've ever tried to tackle before. I fear there almost has to be some casualties along the way. That seems almost inevitable with the large volume they are putting out right now.

Gary "I'll keep singing Shout's praises as long as FKB keeps being released - but if that goes in favor of newer stuff I'm not gonna be a happy camper" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gary,

Yes, I own this episode. Parts were shown in a flashback episode during the final episode of Season One. There is a wonderful moment with 'trick photography' (or a special effect) when Patty first sees Cathy. I don't have a lot of film knowledge, but the sequence is a very memorable one, with both of the girls moving (I think) clockwise as they look one another over in apparent disbelief.

I don't know if TV Land showed the original pilot. If they did, then I don't have it.

"This episode uses flashback to the pilot to tell the story; notice Patty Duke's hair style as well as some difference in the layout of the house [especially the front hall]. In the original pilot, William Schallert did not play the father; several of the scenes were reshot for the purpose of this episode."

Season One, Episode #37:

The Patty Duke Show: The Cousins - TV.com

BTW, since this show was created in b&w for its three seasons, I too am expecting pristine prints. This is excellent news.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I wonder if getting THE PATTY DUKE SHOW is a one-off this from the MGM/UA Library? I've noticed something with the THE DONNA REED SHOW and FATHER KNOWS BEST...

Both shows' rights were co-owned by the stars (Donna Reed and Robert Young) and if I read things rights, they got the DVD rights 'sideways' by dealing with the Estates and not directly with Sony.

I recall that Patty still owns a share of the show and perhaps they worked getting the rights that way. I find it odd that MGM/UA is finally licencing out DVD rights.

But then, This is just my thought.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

True enough, I'd forgotten about those. But had I or had I not recently heard rumbles about Ironside getting revived? I know Shout! is farming it out for single disc releases through another company, maybe sales on the singles might get season sets going again.

Ozzie and Harriet... well, I daresay that one is a complete mess for rights problems, given some episodes appear to be PD and some aren't, which might make doing season sets difficult, to say nothing of not knowing what condition the original masters are in after so long.

I agree with FKB though, I do hope Shout! keeps putting their energies behind the releases they've been doing. Done a great job so far and it's on my wish list for eventual collection.

I've got a lot of shows I want and very little money to get them all, sad to say.

Come to think of it, with FKB and Patty Duke already handled by Shout!, maybe we might see them revive LITB next.

I know, I know, we're asking a lot, but so far, Shout! hasn't disappointed.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I know Mill Creek has picked up a few series from Shout for single disc releases, but I thought I read just yesterday that these releases were more about picking up some cheap inventory or something. In other words, we shouldn't look for Mill Creek to actually take over the Ironside series long term. Could be wrong on that one, just not sure.

You're right about Ozzie/Harriet. I believe the masters were all cut down for syndication by the Nelson Estate years ago, so it's doubtful anyone could get their hands on full length episodes unless it were the beat up variety found on PD sets. And that's a real shame, because I love the series.

If Shout picked up Leave it to Beaver they'd vault so far over CBS/P on my "favorite dvd company" list it wouldn't even be funny. Right now those two are pretty much tied in my book.

Gary "we can only dare to dream about a resurrected LITB release" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Actually, I wasn't thinking Mill Creek would take over the Ironside license, more that if the sales of the Mill Creek singles are good, Shout might get Ironside going again. Also, worth mentioning that Ironside was on a recent poll by Shout among other shows people would like to see more seasons of.

So two possibilities: either the tail will wag the dog and Mill Creek sales may get Ironside cooking again or Shout is thinking about starting up Ironside again anyway to finish the series and possibly provide more material to Mill Creek for the singles. Either way, I wouldn't give up on our wheelchair detective just yet. Come to think of it, why aren't sales of Ironside as strong as Perry Mason given both shows were so good?

Breaks my heart about Ozzie and Harriet as the current "remember-when" that drives the classic market would benefit O&H sales. Out of curiosity, if the buying public were made aware that the original masters just flat-out no longer exist, would sales of the syndication-only season sets still exist? Speaking for myself, I'd just be grateful to get what I can.

We can only hope with LITB and Dennis the Menace. But with all the new titles over recent weeks, I'm getting a bit optimistic. We'll just have to see.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

The original pilot was never shown on TVLand. It was very different than the actual show with 2 different actors playing the dad and brother.

For the flashback show, they refilmed some scenes to include the William Shallert and Paul O Keefe.

I too really liked the part where they matted the two Pattys on the scene instead of split screening it so they could cross in front of each other.

And about SHOUT!, they also never got around to putting out the second season of The Bill Cosby Show. In that case, I think the sales of this show were hurt by it not being the later blockbuster 80's show.

But I rather think The Patty Duke Show is ideally situated to get a full release:

1. There has been a small but adament group of fans of the show bucking for it's release.

2. There are only three seasons (unlike Ironside and Ozzy and Harriet which had several more).

3. There are preexisting good transfers of the show to use (unlike Room 222, where news of the old transfers being used might've killed some sales. I doubt we will see any more seasons of Room 222, unfortunataly)

I still have most of my Patty Duke Shows on tape, recorded from Nick At Nite. They are in extended play (tape was expensive back then) but they still performed alright.

I got hooked on the show right away when they first showed it (I had never heard of the show before Nick At Nite) party because of it's simularity to The Parent Trap.

I recorded most of the shows in thier first couple of run cycles on NIN. In those first 2 runs, the shows ran 24 minutes, with one minute cut for commercials. When I kept an eye on the third run to pick up some shows I missed, I realised that beginning with the third run, they cut an additional 2 minutes out of the show for more commercials. I considered myself lucky to get most of the episodes in thier more complete versions before they were additionally edited.

Later on, for a short time, they also ran the show during the afternoon on Nick. For the afternoon, they again showed the 24 minute versions but I discovered it too late before they took the show off afternoons.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Oh, I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Shout! had 222 along with Ironside on their "what-do-you-want-next" poll last week, so I wouldn't call it over just yet. Besides, didn't 222 just come out? Just wait and see here.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Yes, that is only a two season show and they abandoned it after one. And you're right, it's not the 80s blockbuster. Unlike that series, this one is actually good.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

That's good news then, because I thought I had read somewhere that the Nelson Estate had actually taken the masters and cut them up for syndication. Glad to know that's not the case! At least my dreams are still alive for nice looking, full length season sets.

Gary "I wonder why Shout is using syndicate, albeit solid looking, prints instead of full length ones if they are available?" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

We can only guess. Could the Nelson family have them and not want them out for whatever reason? Or could private collectors have them and not want to distribute them? Like I said, it's guesswork.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I say that because there was much complaining about the quality and I am sure SHOUT! heard some of it. I understood that SHOUT didn't have access to the prints and it was 20'th Century Fox's responsibility to provide (and make, if necessary) good masters. I'm still glad to have the series released even if Fox didn't want to spring for new masters but the static that SHOUT got and perhaps the reduced sales from the stink raised on the web put additional seasons of R222 in jeopardy in my mind. I hope I am wrong. I don't mind that they look like old fashioned 16mm film chain.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Actually,it think it's a combination of cost to go back to the masters,plus the EDITED versions carry fresh/renewed copyrights.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

Considering that over half of the 435 episodes of the show were never put into syndication, that wouldn't have effected the majority of the episodes anyway. And anyway, when shows were put into syndication they sent out complete prints and the individual stations did the edits. And didn't they run uncut on Disney?

Shout uses what they are provided. They don't have the money to remaster shows so they use what they are given. If they are given complete episodes, they put out complete episodes. If they get them cut, they release them cut. The question is, why doesn't Shout investigate what elements are available to them BEFORE they cut these deals and pay to license?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks