What's new

"Patton" - The forgotten gem in my collection (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You could say he's insulting the Germans. But "insulting" is not always despicable.

People insult other people to mimick attacking them - with words. It's usually a way to help overcome your deeply felt fear.

That's why it would be perfectly acceptable, according to me, to use this technique in front of an army of men who have to face the enemy in deadly struggle, who happen to be the Germans in Patton's case. Patton is even referring to that fear in his speach - a remarkable touch of great psychology.

Of course, if someone, be it Gen. Patton or someone else, would be using the same words in other circumstances, it would be judged differently. Often despicable. Don't forget it carries the smell of fear :).
On this forum it can get you dismissed.

Cees

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
That soundtrack music stays with you days after watching!
I liked Jerry Goldsmith's score so much that the opening to the film served as the groom processional music for my wedding. It was kind of fitting as I walked down the aisle in my kilt.

For the record, my beautiful bride walked to another Jerry Goldsmith score - the Decker/Ilia theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture :)

De

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I loved Patton so much as a kid I read the huge 2 vol Biography of his life.
He had his strange side
He took his family on a trip to Hawaii on a small boat from California.
If he made it alive, it meant that God singled him out to do something great in life.
I guess thats ok for you, but to put you daughters and wife in the same boat.................
Luckily the movie never touches that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks