What's new

"Patton" - The forgotten gem in my collection (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I had picked up the 2-disc set when I heard it was going out of print. WOW what a good film. George C. Scott rocked! I can totally see why it won 8 Oscars including best picture.

Patton directing trucks and tanks like a traffic cop - priceless.:D

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
The Last Days of Patton was a tv movie, not a major theatrical production. It wasn't that good a film anyway.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Another great quote from Patton:

"Hell, I wish I had kissed the sonofabitch" - Patton, referring to the soldier he slapped and paid a political price for.

That soundtrack music stays with you days after watching!

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Wow how funny...

I just saw this movie yesterday. It was very well done. Some of the battles scenes are just amazing.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Great film. Scott's performance has to rank as one of the very best ever. I saw it at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences theater. Karl Malden was on hand to talk about the film.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I love the movie, but the DVD transfer suffers from some major edge halos.

Sure wish FOX would totally remaster and re-release this movie along with The Sound of Music (another early FOX DVD effort that's plagued with edge halos.)

Great movie, though!

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The 2 disk set announced Fox's intention to take DVD seriously. I didn't read any of the early reviews and just blindly pre-ordered it. At the time Fox was not doing well by the DVD format. Imagine my amazement when I opened the cardboard shipping box and found a 2 disk special edition! :emoji_thumbsup:

Be advised that the speech opening the film has been "cleaned up" for language.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Here's the unexpurgated version:
www.pattonhq.com/speech.html

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
During the HTF Revote, I made the point that the speech was cleaned up. I wish they hadn't, and that the film preserved the nature of the speech.

Besides the speech being a hell of a lot better as it originally is, I thought the vulgarity of this speech would serve as a stark contrast to his poetic and warrior romantic sensibilities.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
The speech in the movie is fairly vulgar and offensive at it is. When I first saw the movie on HBO, I wasn't planning on watching the whole thing, but after Patton's opening speech I couldn't help but want to know more about the General, even though I thought his speech was insulting. So the scene does its job. It's one of the classic scenes in all of cinema, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

The changes are justified by artistic license, just as the film-makers were justified in merging the "slapping" incidents, showing only one as opposed to the two incidents that happened in real life. It makes sense cinematically.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Be advised that the speech opening the film has been "cleaned up" for language.
This does not mean the film was modified by the way. The DVD is the same as the theatrical release.

Dennis, thanks for the link to the original speech. Yes it is MUCH more colorful.:b

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I should queue up both Patton and Saving Private Ryan, so I can go straight from Patton's speech onto Omaha beach. His speech was originally a 5 June 1944 pep talk for the landings the very next day.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What was the name of the movie about the death of Patton? The story, IIRC, was about Patton, allegedly, being assassinated.

Whoops forget it. Should have used IMDb first, before asking the question. It was "BRASS TARGET". If I remember rightly, BT was kind of boring.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I remember hearing that the speech originally was going to appear later in the film -- around the time of the D-Day invasion, right before the General saw combat again -- but was moved to the beginning for artistic reasons. What a great decision. Not that the movie would have been much worse if the speech didn't appear until later, but the movie wouldn't have the classic opening it has now.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Why did you find the speech insulting? I thought it fit pretty well with his character. He was pretty straight forward and didn't try to spout patriotic BS. I thought his statement -about making the other guy die for his country- was bald truth.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I have no problem with Patton's statement that "no poor bastard has ever one a war by dying for his country" but by making "the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Other parts are jingoistic and oversimplifying. At the time I remember Patton's equating wanting to stay out of the war with not being a winner striking me as a particularly misleading fallacy. Things like that coupled with his profanity, references to "the Hun," and what seemed to me as an unhealthy enthusiasm for killing created a negative impression of the man. Now that I've seen the movie many times I'm more sympathetic and the speech doesn't seem too shocking, but I think part of the brilliance of the movie is that you don't have to like the General personally in order to be interested in his life, and, for a while, share his dreams of military conquest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks