What's new

Partners (CBS) - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
CBS's new comedy "Partners" airs tonight at 8:30p.m. EDT. From what I can tell it's about 2 sets of 3rd wheels between a partnership of 2 life-long pals, and their respective significant others (a gay relationship, and a non-gay relationship).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Had seen a lot of the gags in endless promos over the summer, so I'll need another episode or two to see if this is worth staying with. I have to say I wasn't very impressed with David Krumholtz. In the first half of the show he appeared to be consulting cue cards for almost every speech he had to make. He may have been uncomfortable working in front of an audience and needed the security, but I found it distracting.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Brandon Routh is no Maria Pitillo.
Or something.
Only found one of the four leads interesting. Was going to watch a second episode because of the same reason as above: I saw all of the jokes twice already, but by the end of this episode I found I didn't really care.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I hadn't seen any of the jokes until the premier last night, and I still didn't think it was funny. I already dropped this one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's weird seeing 2 cast members from "Ugly Betty" now on the Monday CBS comedy line-up (Becky Newton on "HIMYM" and Michael Urie on "Partners").
The pilot didn't do much for me either. I'll give it a few more episodes, only for Sophia Bush's presence for now.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Promo:
Cute straight girl (to man who just entered her apartment:)
What are you doing here?
Wacky Gay Neighbor (tm) (rifling through the fridge)
I'm here for my morning sausage.
CSG:
Is that some kind of code?
Yes. It is code for "We stole the basic premise of Will & Grace, but not any of the writers."
Yawn.
Regards,
Joe

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A better episode this week. I laughed several times, and I think the show could jell into something fun with enough time to smooth out the kinks (Michael Urie's hyperactive attempts to press the comedy, David Krumholtz's overreliance on referring to cue cards while performing, giving Brandon Routh a real character to play). SOme of the supporting folks are playing one dimensional roles (so far), but they did get their laughs this week.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
A better episode this week. I laughed several times, and I think the show could jell into something fun with enough time to smooth out the kinks (Michael Urie's hyperactive attempts to press the comedy, David Krumholtz's overreliance on referring to cue cards while performing, giving Brandon Routh a real character to play). SOme of the supporting folks are playing one dimensional roles (so far), but they did get their laughs this week.
Turning out fairly well, but like you say, has a few kinks to work out. Krumholtz definitely has some issues, didn't know it was cue cards, just thought it was his odd staring into oblivion that stood out, now it makes sense that he's probably reading cue cards.
Brandon Routh has been given nothing to do, really to bad because I'm sure he could be much better if they'd just give him a chance.
Urie is great, almost but not quite over the top. He's doing really well and his performace is quite enjoyable.
The similarities to "Will and Grace" are very obvious, but I guess that's to be expected with this having the same producers.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not sure the show will last much longer if the ratings don't pick up. CBS takes pride in the ratings for its shows, and when one of them is falling down on the job, it's not around for very long.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I've read some critic reviews on Routh's performance being wooden, but it seems like that's the type of character he is playing.

I have seen the first 2 episodes, and okay so far. It could be better, and so far, and worth watching if nothing else is on at the time.

Whenever I see Krumholtz, I keep expecting him to go to his board, and come up with some algorithm to solve some case. But he just seems out of place in this show, and the constant repeating of some jokes are annoying me as the later seasons of 30 Rock and Peter Griffin.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
I've read some critic reviews on Routh's performance being wooden, but it seems like that's the type of character he is playing.
I have seen the first 2 episodes, and okay so far. It could be better, and so far, and worth watching if nothing else is on at the time.
Whenever I see Krumholtz, I keep expecting him to go to his board, and come up with some algorithm to solve some case. But he just seems out of place in this show, and the constant repeating of some jokes are annoying me as the later seasons of 30 Rock and Peter Griffin.
Agree with the Brandon Routh character, it was written for him to be somewhat wooden and clueless. Latest episode gave him a little more to do, so there's still hope.
Urie is almost as over the top as Jack was on "Will and Grace", but he tones it down just a bit and is much more enjoyable to watch than Sean Hayes,
Krumholtz is totally out of place. It's a great character, just the wrong actor.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This was the first episode that I've found Brandon Routh's character even remotely funny. He was very good playing/struggling through Celebrity.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually liked the Celebrity episode. I think Sophia needs another gal pal on the show to balance it out somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks