What's new

Part Time Fry's Job (1 Viewer)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I am seeking a second job @ Frys in order to help me pay down bills and wedding prepration charges. I was wondering if anyone here has any good info on employment there. Anything I should watch out for specifically?
Mainly I don't want to get into a part time job where I will be either bored to tears with or frustrated beyong belief.

My current full time job is excellent and I am only seeking this part time position for a 6-7 month period.

Thanks.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Is the pay hourly or commissioned? If it's a commissioned position and you don't have any sales experience then it's probably not worth your time. I spent about a year as a part time sales counselor @ Circuit City and I would have made more money working @ McDonalds. 98% of the customers were either just looking or just buying that bargain basement stuff in the ad paper.

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
I worked at Fry's for 2 years and really enjoyed it. I worked in the video department, and made a small commission on top of the hourly wage. If you frequent the HTF and are knowledgeable about HDTV, DVD and other video stuff, you'll be light-years ahead of the other salesmen.

Fry's is definitely a "different" kind of retail store. All I can say is that the company runs counter to any preconceptions you may have about how a business should be run. In every area, be it sales, management, accounting, or inventory, Fry's is determined to play by their own, arbitrary rules, and re-invent the wheel at every step of the way. To someone who knows how a business could be run, and expects to be compensated and promoted based on their knowledge, integrity and experience, this can be incredibly frustrating. But for someone interested in picking up a few extra bucks (and getting a pretty good discount on some home theater stuff), the free-style atmosphere at Fry's may be more enjoyable than a more button down, disciplined place like Circuit City or Best Buy.

I'm just surprised I never had a paycheck bounce.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I was told that entry level positions (such as I would be seeking) are generally the checkout people. They said that they like to promote from within, so people start at the front end. The lady that I spoke with said that the checkout people actually make commission on top of their hourly pay. This struck me as odd, commission for not doing any work but scanning the item???? Whatever. This job would be to pick up some extra bucks to pay for a wedding and of course get killer deals on hardware. It's a shame that Fry's does not carry JBL. :frowning:
Anymore opinions? Advice?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If your goal is to pick up a few extra bucks while cashing in on the employee discount then go for it. If on the other hand your goal is to make as much money as possible over the next 6-7 months then it would probably be wise to look elsewhere. My only warning is beware of that employee discount, in my days at Circuit City I spent about 75% of my paycheck on hardware. It's all good though, that was five years ago and I'm still using that stuff:)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i worked over at best buy and nearly all the money i made went to purchases with my employee discount.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
For some reason (the dot.bomb collapse maybe?) the Fry's Electronics in Austin has MUCH better qualified salespeople than the competition (CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.). They seem to have no trouble getting 20-somethings (UT students, perhaps?) who actually know about DVD movies, DIY PC building, etc.
I have no idea what it's like to work there, but I do enjoy shopping there. :) Definitely pick up better vibes from the salespeople than Best Buy/CC (where they just push you HARD to buy an extended warranty contract). Of course, Fry's sells those as well, but I don't think they put as much pressure on their salespeople to push extended warranties as some other places.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks