What's new

Parking in handicapped spaces... (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
There was a small group of BMW-driving tosspots at my local gym who insisted on parking in the disabled spots right outside the front doors. Obviously the 20-yard walk to the normal spaces was too much for them.

Anyway, one day this really LOUD announcement comes over the tannoy asking that the owners of these three cars come to the desk immediately. Turns out the manager got royally pissed off with them and demanded they move the cars there and then. Two of them went out to their cars with towels around them as they'd been in the pool. Pretty funny to watch becausr it was really cold night :)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Handicapped parking spaces aren't just for those confined to wheelchairs.For someone with advanced emphysema, this matters a lot – especially on ozone-alert days. Though he's able to walk pretty well in an air-conditioned facility, my father would be hard-pressed to survive a walk across a parking lot filled with exhaust fumes.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
I would never knowingly park in a handicapped space. My Mother and sister are handicapped and have trouble walking.

Having established that, I feel the handicap parking situation is ridiculous. Due to the ratio that is used, there are almost always way too many spaces designated than are ever actually needed. Most Walmarts, supermarkets, and other large stores have way too many. I never see more than one being used, yet there may be a dozen or more empty ones. I personally think it's ludicrous.

And where is the justification for any moral outrage if there are plenty of other spaces still available? Yeah, I could see it if there were only one or two spaces, but why the crucifiction when there are so many open?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Most big stores have the motorized scooter-carts, so once they get inside they can ride around the store.

I do agree with Larry, though, that there seem to be far more spaces than is generally necessary.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Do you really need an answer to that???

Just because they aren't being used doesn't mean there's no reason for them. So how many do you take away? I've been plenty of places with my parents where all of the handicapped spaces are full. I'd rather see too many that not enough.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

From a site planning and design viewpoint, there is more to it than just a walking distance. Handicap parking spaces and ADA compliant paths of travel to buildings carry with them strict guidelines on their placement and more so, their design.

For example, the cross slopes on handicap parking spaces cannot be greater than 2% in any direction (there are, of course, exceptions, I don't care to get into the 20 pages of title 24 guidelines here). The special parking spot is providing more than just a closer spot.

Here is my solution. Police departments should ticket them agressively...its not a cheap ticket and it puts money in the city coffers. I am all in favor of calling the police and having them fined, plus someone close to me is handicapped, can't walk all that well, and I have been numerous places where some jerk took the handicap spot and forced her into a potentially harmful situation.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The problem is that it is too easy to get a handicap tag. I asked a doctor if i could have one (was suffering from tonselitis), he said OK. My dentist gave me a handicap tag!

At the rate this happens, soon every car will be handicapped! (The tags don't expire).

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

Comments like this are just as ignorant as those who illegal park in handicaped spaces. How can you see if someone is clearly handicaped or not? Does she have x-ray vision and can detect heart disease or any other ailments that qualify for a spot but don't require a conversion van with decked out wheel chair access? Maybe she is a bit mental herself.

And folks shouldn't get upset at the number of spots stores and business have. Believe it or not they are forced by some stupid forumla that mandates how many spaces they have to have. If they don't have enough the get fined and get to deal with all those fun discrimination suits.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

If they can get out of the car, walk with the same ease and speed as a healthy person, they shouldn't be there. I think the spots are there to assist physical disabilities.

What about those spots designated for pregnant women and/or with small children?! :)
What's next? one for sport injuries, one for families who recently lost a loved one, one for people with recent surgeries, one for mentally-exhausted students, one for silica lovers.....i'm just having fun now.

In all seriousness, I hate illegal handicap parking. Leave a note. I left a nasty note on some guy who stole my parking stall at my apt when it was -40C, and using MY extension cord for the block heater. What nerve! I said I could have unplugged him, but I wanted his ass out in the morning and a dead car won't do me any good.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't leave a note, the owner could take it to the manager, and try and figure out who wrote it. Also, I wouldn't take it to the manager, as management may be the culprit.

It doesn't matter if there are stairs nearby or not. My legs used to crap out on me after about 20 minutes of walking. I'd have a much better chance of getting where I wanted to if I had a good place to park.

As for the K-Marts and such, I think they are required to have a certain number of spaces for every so many customers.

What the police do will vary from state to state. I think some states don't do much of anything while others may have $200 fines.

Some states have special plates and some have cards that hang on the riew-view mirror. Others may have front window stickers. In any event, if a car is parked in a handicapped space and there is no card or whatever showing, they should get the ticket they deserve.

And please, don't annoy the ones that are. Someday you may become permanently disabled, and what are you going to think when the handicapped spaces are all taken by normal people?

Glenn

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I believe Tom was refering to a car without a handicap sticker (or plate). If the woman saw someone get out of a car without a sticker, she would mutter something. It shouldn't matter wether you're handicapped or not.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

One, it probably wouldn't be a police officer who came out to ticket it, it would probably be a meter maid, and two, the police department makes HUGE amounts of money from issuing tickets, so I'm sure they'd be happy to come out and give somebody one. So call away. :)

StephenA

Screenwriter
My mom got yelled at once for parking in a handicapped parking place for not having a plate or sticker when I was little. I had recently been put in a cast up to my chest because I had Perthes' to help heal my hip and leg and the guy didn't see me and my mom hadn't got the plates/stickers yet. She felt like a real asshole when getting out of the car while the guy was yelling at her and she had to show the guy she had a reason to be there, me. Of course I felt like a jerk for the whole scene too, and I be the guy did too afterwards.

JamesCB

Second Unit
For everyone's info: In New York State, to park in a handicapped space, you must have the designated license plates to show you are qualified. The plates actually have the universal handicap symbol stamped into them. The handicapped spaces are required by law, not by "courtesy". It is required by New York State to provide so many spaces in every public parking area. It is no longer acceptable to have just the plackard or tag hanging from the rear view mirror. You need the license plates issued through the DMV.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was going to mention this before, but what are everyones thoughts on people who don't have handicap stickers or plates (but have a genuine reason to park in a handi-spot)? or (as in the case of StephenA) haven't gotten them yet?

Unfortunately the law's the law, and even though you didn't have the sticker yet, that doesn't make it legal. I know that sounds harsh and I'd definitely give someone leway in that situation (and if I was the one who yelled at your mom, I'd probably appologize when I saw you), but that still doesn't mean it's ok to break a rule.

p.s. Stephen, didn't they give you a temporary one until the real one came? My mom got one right away from her Dr. (it was Red) which let her park right away until she recieved the permanent one.

p.s.s. And how about the ones who HAVE the stickers but OBVIOUSLY don't need them. I could EASILY snag my moms handicap sticker when I go out at night, but I have too many morals to do so. Even when I'm driving her car, I still won't do it (unless she's with me).

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

If somebody hops out of the car in a full body cast, or with some other obvious ailment, nobody is going to hassel them. The problem is, when your in the store, noone will see that your obviously handicapped... thus you need the placard...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
And not to mention the people who would take it too far. If someone has a large cast, then I wouldn't bust on them for not having a sticker, but at what point does it become unecessary? As Ryan Tsang mentioned, people would probably start using it and say "Well, I have a corn on my foot and can't walk far" :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

My father-in-law, when he was alive, would always offer the use of his handicapped parking card when we drove them to lunch/dinner. Since I could just as easily drop him and the rest of the family off at the restaurant door before parking the car (and pick them up on the way out), I always refused. As a perfectly healthy person, I wouldn't feel right using a space unnecessarily.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I don't really remember what was going on with the plates and stickers, but I remember my mom saying she didn't have them yet when the incident happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks