What's new

Parenthood Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I know it is the shows signature style but often the multiple conversations at the same time is just too much.Had to laugh at the 1k for a single headshot story line. In the Bay Area it simply would not be anywhere close to that for a picture suitable mailers and lawn signs.Now to my biggest complaint of the show, Jasmine. I have never like the character and I think her story lines have really hurt the show over all. It would have been far better if she had just been a guest character that died leaving Crosby as a single father.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do ya think maybe I've been hoping that the current storyline might prompt Jasmine to run off on Crosby leaving him with either one or both kids?!? D'ya think...maybe??? :laugh:

Did Jasmine show up in Season 1? Whenever she appeared, I have been singing that same song. Crosby never should have had ANYTHING to do with her. As a human being, I cannot even comprehend how you could keep a father of your child in the dark about that child's existence. Too deep a character flaw to overcome for me.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The whole hiding the kid is also my major problem with the character. Seriously I could never forgive someone doing that to me and to make matters worse telling her family that I was a deadbeat father. She would be dead to me, I of course would do everything I could be part of my child's life but I would never end up in a relationship with the mother.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I can understand why there were no comments about this weeks episode. The entire Max storyline absolutely offended me. And the Joel/Julia storyline is telegraphing where it is going to go and I have no interest in it.

Ugh.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just watched it last night.

+1 Ugh.

There was nothing interesting in it. Everything just plodded along quite predictably and quite poorly. A huge yawn. My wife and I couldn't even maintain interest on what was transpiring on the screen.

Not even worth discussing.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Well, even though it ended up kind of cheesy with Crosby coming in with the records, I will admit I kind of enjoyed that story line. The rest...yeah...blah. Although was that the first time in the history of the show Julia might be right?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Parenthood sucks.

The only good thing about tonight's episode is that they showed the entire extended family out campaigning for Kristina. (Even though they weren't in a room together interacting in that wonderful big family way that they have...at least they were getting behind one of their own.)

In tonight's episode:

Crosby and Jasmine argued over getting a minivan...yawn.

Sarah and Amber argued over Amber's engagement...yawn.

Zeek and Camille argue over selling the family home...yawn.

Joel and Julia grow distant at home and work...yawn.

Adam & Kristine work on her improbable campaign...yawn. (I want the crying mommy to be my mayor...)

Worst, predictable, hackneyed storylines,,,ever. No interesting Braverman touches. Yawn.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The crying mommy wins debate thing just pissed me off. I have long been the one who praised this series in it's first year as effectively showing several of the issues of autism. And there are moments they address that. But tonight's episode was lunacy in that her admitting that her son needed special services and all of the sudden the community embraces her.

No matter where you are in the country, that is not a universal thought. There are numerous parents and parent groups who have made it an effort to basically make life not so easy for those with developmentally challenged children, arguing they consume more school resources then their peers, slow classes down etc. etc. etc.

Now, by and large I disagree with a lot of that, but it is a pretty wide sentiment with a lot of subscribers. So, to have Christina advocate for a mother of a deaf child and cry from the stage means she has 'won' a debate is laughable, and frankly somewhat offensive to a lot of people who have had to put a lot of hard work into educating parents and others into how to make this work for all involved.

Also, Jasmine came across as a COMPLETE b****h. She is not earning any money. Crosby is. Crosby basically said: I need to keep my car because it gives me cred in the music industry. Whether a valid point or not, in the end he is paying for both cars. So, the concept of him having to fold and give in is becoming a running theme in their relationship. I had thought there would be some give and take and that in the end he would agree to the minivan but it'd have to be her car as a compromise and.. nope. They can't even compromise. This isn't a matter of Crosby growing up, it's a matter of him keeping any sort of identity in that relationship.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I was fine with Jasmine getting the minivan, but yeah, she should have let Crosby keep his car.

That said, in that scene where she's driving Crosby and the band members, I actually found Jasmine quite likable. I was expecting Crosby to get the wrath of Jasmine on that one. It's one of the only times in the show's run she didn't come off as a bitch.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Saw an ad and had to laugh when the NBC VO guy intoned, "See why Parenthood is one of the best shows on TV." :laugh: Yeah, and now that Breaking Bad is done, nothing stands in Parenthood's way!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I officially removed this from my dvr, though I will continue to subscribe to all of your complaints.:D

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think I give up too. This show has dropped off a lot of people's radars and I only watch it later now.. but the last two episodes were just.. bad. Really bad.

We've went from Max having socialization and violence issues that required a Para professional to him asking a girl out?

We setup this weird situation with Ray Romano that just doesn't work on any level.

Kristina's campaign was ridiculous.... she ran on no issues outside of 'please pity us for having a special needs kid' which I found kind of despicable...

And Julia's handling of her kids and spouse are both annoying and grating to watch. Just bad.

It's off my DVR now too. I give up. I thought I'd complain and complain and enjoy the small moments, but I realize now I just don't care enough about any of the characters at all to keep following.

And that doesn't even get me started on the 'I forgot to register to vote' moment *eyeroll*

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show pretty much writes itself, just imagine the characters doing stupid and annoying and self-indulgent things with their sig-oths getting pissed at such behavior and enter scenes like bulls in a china shop, and that's pretty much the subplots for the episodes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just got caught up on the last couple of episodes (not exactly at the top of my "to do" list).

The new direction of the show has me constantly expecting to hear some stentorian tones telling me that:

"like sands through an hourglass, so are the days of our lives."

speechless-smiley-034.gif
Except I don't think the writing of Parenthood quite rises to soap opera levels.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Boy, I was shocked to read the animosity for Parenthood this season! I watched the first 8? episodes the past couple weeks. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought it a step up from last year. I enjoy all the characters, and am interested to see what happens to them. Particularly this season of drab HIMYM, Revenge, shield, and even exciting new stuff-goes-boom series, Parenthood is a breath if fresh air. The interplay of the siblings, their parents, and side characters in their orbits are interesting.While Julia's story with Victor has never made sense, I love watching the emotional release of buried tensions, altered roles, and unstated expectations between her and Joel. Joel is burying Julia, he is so right in his accusations. But he is so wrong to ignore the real problems, and to risk destroying his marriage out of spite. Kristina and Joel's finances: don't all those teen staffers work for free? Isn't that the thing: unpaid coops to get experience before getting a job as an underpaid staffer in DC?This has been a lot more fun than most new shows this season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They must have some good S&%$ in the water in VA, Dave! :laugh:

The Joel and Julia storyline is among the worst the show's writers have come up with.

Is it tough on a 5th grader to be sent back a grade? Yup, you bet it is. Is it the catalyst, though, which drives a wedge between a husband and wife and now makes them totally dysfunctional? The writers are basically just turning Julia into a despicable person (ala Jasmine) and figuring that's okay...it makes for great conflict and drama. Well, it doesn't.

Instead, it just makes for a ridiculous storyline which has Julia, apparently, running into the arms of some dad who also has marriage problems of his own. I'm sure some would say the situation with Victor IS just a catalyst which is igniting a deeper-seated problem between Joel and Julia. But I've just stopped caring for her character, just as I never took to Jasmine's character ever since she revealed Jabar's existence to Crosby five years after he was born.

What might make this interesting is if the Braverman family closed ranks on Julia and basically held an intervention on her issues of stupidity and self-absorption and help her see the light. But to let Victor's set-back (probably not all that uncommon given the circumstances of his adoption and his education levels at the time) become such an angst-ridden emotional ride rather than spurring the parents (and Sidney) to properly devote their time to helping the kid learn is just ridiculous.

Kids are held back or sent back a grade every day in America (maybe it's a shame that more kids aren't held back). If that's the real issue, the focus should be on Victor. If the writers wanted to create tension between Joel and Julia, I think they could have found a more interesting/realistic way to do it (especially given the fact that they adopted a school-age, disadvantaged child into their home).

The "workplace" storylines--the role reversal for Joel/Julia--is a much more interesting phenomenon and probably more likely to create the kind of tension that's undermining their relationship.

Anyway, I know you are aware of all that. But I still see a lack of focus on the part of the writers who seem to have the Bravermans haphazardly jumping into convenient plot points but not having an end game in mind...and, at the same time, losing (or, at least, under-utilizing) that family thread which binds them all together.

My favorite scenes of this season were the ones between Zeek and Victor working together on the car in which Zeek was prompting him to read the manual. Simple and understated. The perfect role for a grandfather and the kind of understated family symbiosis that has been lacking.

Thanks for posting and giving me an opportunity to vent. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Looks like Ryan is out. I liked the twist that Amber thought it was wholly her decision whether to keep him or not. It wasn't. I'm glad (and hoping for reals) that he's out. He needs help. She shouldn't marry a man who is violently jealous.

Joel is sucking it up, but Julia is wallowing in self pity and is going to screw it up.

Kristina egging Bob Little's sign was hilarious. The woman who plays her friend with cancer is amazing. She has the best little performances, of a woman who is fatigued, physically losing, but not lost to depression. I love her moments.

Crosby gives terrible advice to Drew. And Drew ... what's going on here?

Sarah is on to another man. Meh.

Mike Frezon said:
They must have some good S&%$ in the water in VA, Dave! :laugh:

The Joel and Julia storyline is among the worst the show's writers have come up with.

Is it tough on a 5th grader to be sent back a grade? Yup, you bet it is. Is it the catalyst, though, which drives a wedge between a husband and wife and now makes them totally dysfunctional? The writers are basically just turning Julia into a despicable person (ala Jasmine) and figuring that's okay...it makes for great conflict and drama. Well, it doesn't.

Instead, it just makes for a ridiculous storyline which has Julia, apparently, running into the arms of some dad who also has marriage problems of his own. I'm sure some would say the situation with Victor IS just a catalyst which is igniting a deeper-seated problem between Joel and Julia. But I've just stopped caring for her character, just as I never took to Jasmine's character ever since she revealed Jabar's existence to Crosby five years after he was born.

What might make this interesting is if the Braverman family closed ranks on Julia and basically held an intervention on her issues of stupidity and self-absorption and help her see the light. But to let Victor's set-back (probably not all that uncommon given the circumstances of his adoption and his education levels at the time) become such an angst-ridden emotional ride rather than spurring the parents (and Sidney) to properly devote their time to helping the kid learn is just ridiculous.

Kids are held back or sent back a grade every day in America (maybe it's a shame that more kids aren't held back). If that's the real issue, the focus should be on Victor. If the writers wanted to create tension between Joel and Julia, I think they could have found a more interesting/realistic way to do it (especially given the fact that they adopted a school-age, disadvantaged child into their home).

The "workplace" storylines--the role reversal for Joel/Julia--is a much more interesting phenomenon and probably more likely to create the kind of tension that's undermining their relationship.

Anyway, I know you are aware of all that. But I still see a lack of focus on the part of the writers who seem to have the Bravermans haphazardly jumping into convenient plot points but not having an end game in mind...and, at the same time, losing (or, at least, under-utilizing) that family thread which binds them all together.

My favorite scenes of this season were the ones between Zeek and Victor working together on the car in which Zeek was prompting him to read the manual. Simple and understated. The perfect role for a grandfather and the kind of understated family symbiosis that has been lacking.

Thanks for posting and giving me an opportunity to vent. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
While I don't think Jasmine was the best choice Crosby has made, I didn't write her off back in the beginning and I accept her as a character.

I don't see Victor's educational struggles as the actual problem, but as the catalyst. The real problem is Julia is failing to adjust to being a stay-at-home mom. She defined herself as the hard-charging, fast-rising female lawyer; and she she could have it all with the harmonious family. Now at home, she's faced by a serious parenting problem, and it's pushing her past her limit. And it's coming in the contrast to Joel's new success as a full-time contractor outside the home (seemingly the first time in their married life). It's not the best story, but I find it captivating because those tensions of how a person values themselves, what happens when it's gone, and the idea of a mundane problems leading to an affair and divorce: that's resonant.

I didn't believe Kristina would be a good mayor (she's not shown any of the skills, and in fact has demonstrated that she doesn't have the skills to work with people, schmooze, and compromise as often needed in political office). But the story of her chasing her 'second chance' life aggressively by pursuing some political office, I found believable and interesting. It should have been for a position on Max's school board. But ok.

In any case...Parenthood remains one of the two shows (The Good Wife) I that I watch with undivided attention. The characters and dialog are interesting. Every scene matters. It's character based, which helps a lot for me.

I contrast that to other shows I've Season Pass'd: Blacklist, Almost Human, and Revolution. These have their merits and are interesting. But they're increasingly "surf the web" shows. Half the content is mindless violence to no purpose. They're not good sci-fi (presenting fun and interesting ideas). There's some decent story-telling, but it's spread out for the sake of the 22-ep season. They don't have any of the heart or character-based writing that I still find in Parenthood. Part of it is me: I'm losing interest in stuff-goes-boom storytelling. Blacklist at least has an interesting arc, but then I zone out when the extras come on set and blow things up without any impact to the actual story. The current trend is towards torture / violence, which was unique and interesting in "24" but it's getting tedious as a trope.

In summary, Your Honor ;) , I'd ask what you're watching in place of Parenthood? (I'm watching Breaking Bad very slowly, but it's so bleak.) I don't know what's out that's better than Parenthood, and has the same PG-ish approach (I need something wife friendly).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
In summary, Your Honor ;) , I'd ask what you're watching in place of Parenthood? (I'm watching Breaking Bad very slowly, but it's so bleak.) I don't know what's out that's better than Parenthood, and has the same PG-ish approach (I need something wife friendly).
Well, obviously, we (my wife and I) are still watching Parenthood.

Don't get me wrong. I would love nothing better than for Parenthood to click on all cylinders.

Funny that you mention The Good Wife. My wife and I are big fans of The Amazing Race (the lead-in show to The Good Wife). Very often, I find myself getting sucked in to the story lines of that night's episode of The Good Wife even though I really don't know much about the different plot lines n the show. I have mentioned to my wife that this might be a good show for us.

Currently, we aren't watching any other dramatic series. I'm fairly confident she won't go for Breaking Bad...no matter how much my kids say we'd like it. No violence for her.

In the past we have enjoyed St. Elsewhere, LA Law, Boston Public, Gilmore Girls, Downton Abbey (off the top of my head). She's also a big fan of Little House on the Prairie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks