What's new

Paramounts new bilingual cover in Canada (1 Viewer)

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
And the other thing is that DVDEnFrancais constantly complains that Region 1 releases have only 2.0 french tracks while the Region 2 has 5.1 and sometimes DTS. How can you recommand people to choose the R2 version and at the same time prevent them from knowing how to play these is just so inconsistant.
You are mixing things here. What you read in the forum and dvdenfrancais are two different things. dvdenfrancais, the website has NEVER recommended getting a R2 version, in fact we limit our dvd coverage to R1 dvd. Some people in the forum feel that it is unfair that they are not getting a quality dub track when there is multiple english tracks on a release (2.0, 5.1, DTS). In a way, i can understand their point of view, even if i could care less for the dub track. Even if you don't speak english, you have paid money for a decent sound system, it`s a shame if you can't use it to it`s full extent! Particularly when in Europe, they manange to have release with English DTS/5.1 AND a 5.1 french track, and sometimes other dubbed language as well!

To all those complaining that it is the population fault (and saying that they are dumb, ignorant and so forth in the process) you should reconsider! All the population is asking for, is a french track and subtitles (most studio still aren`t subtitling supplements, and some studio like Artisan/Criterion aren`t offering subtitles for the main feature). You are getting billingual cover because there is now a law that every product which has a french track (this also apply to videogames BTW, they now need french manuals even if the game is english only)need to get a french or billingual cover.

If the studio decide to do a billingual, it`s because they feel it`s cheaper for them... Look at Warner for instance, instead of billingual cover, they have a special french only cover for quebec and the original cover is for the rest of canada. And think this is THE way to do it.

I hate the billingual cover as much as you do guys, but i think we should try to sensibilize the studios to doing a different cover or reverssible art instead of doing petition to stop billingual cover (Because this won`t happen really)!

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Jay - Thanks for the tip. :)
Michael - I accidentally found HMV's Web site one day a couple of years ago and never bothered comparing prices with other online retailers. Thanks for the links! :)

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
From Anders (concerning french tracks):

Well, if I'm not mistaken, having a french/bilingual cover is only when the DVD has a french audio track. So it is an issue.
Very true, hadn't thought of that one. But I don't think the government *requires* a french track (contrary to what the post I was replying to stated if I'm not mistaken) - some recent titles (Waking Life for example) do not have one and are still being sold here. So, this connection isn't entirely valid.

I was browsing the local electronics shop's XBox titles and had an idea : why not do what they do for XBox's titles? That is, simply insert at the back of the packaging a little piece of paper with a french description of the movie and extras it contains. (XBox titles have a french manual of the game). It would allow those who speak only french to know what they are buying, and for us purist we would get our unaltered packaging. But... I have a feeling the law requires a french packaging on the front too... Oh well.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
There's a new section on the Canadian DVD Users Group site that identifies each studio's policy on bilingual covers. Check it out:
http://www.canadiandvdgroup.com/bili...dio_policy.htm
While this is very helpful, I think there's another, related issue that seems to get less attention on this forum -- the practice of removing some content that's on the U.S. version of a disc to make room for a French-language track. I understand this was done on the Canadian release of "Monsters Inc." Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of titles that have these variations in content between U.S. and Canadian versions?

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I just got Jason X, and it's got the bilingual cover. Since the french title is the same, you have it printed twice on the spine. What's up with that?
What I'd like to know, is ther ANYONE who actually prefers the bilingual covers?
--Anders

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Now I'm really confused! Which is the French Jason X, and which is the English Jason X?!?
It's insane, it really is!

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
What I'd like to know, is ther ANYONE who actually prefers the bilingual covers?
For rentals only, because when they are 2 separate versions, all the rentals around here ONLY carry the french covers because "Who cares, there's an english track anyway!". The best would be reversible with english on one side and french on the other so at least I can flip them! (And yes, I take great satisfaction in seeing the clerk having to flip the cover back to scan the barcode!)

But for purchases, no pollution please!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Since the french title is the same, you have it printed twice on the spine. What's up with that?
basically it's for conformity. if you're french, you'll be used to looking through your DVD shelf at the bottom half of the spine. so by printing Jason X twice, you can keep looking at that bottom half. the same goes for Blade II and John Q.
:angry:

Anders Englund

Second Unit
[/quote]The best would be reversible with english on one side and french on the other so at least I can flip them![/quote]
That would, in my opinion, be the best solution overall. So what if I receive a DVD with the french cover out. I can flip them myself. Besides, if those security stickers get stuck on the cover, I'd prefer if it ripped up the french side. :)
(And yes, I take great satisfaction in seeing the clerk having to flip the cover back to scan the barcode!)
Isn't there a bar code on both sides?
--Anders

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Isn't there a bar code on both sides?
The rental place I go to (They carry OAR 95% of the time unlike closer places) lets you take home the disk in a normal keepcase with the insert as is. The only thing is, they stick THEIR OWN barcode on it so that their DB knows what film is in or out as opposed to on the disk itself like most places. The thing is, they stick that sticker on the french side because that's the one they show. So before putting the case on my Showoff Display DVD Marquee I flip it on the proper side (The last thing I want is to be reminded that I'm supposed to watch it in french while I'm watching it!) with the barcode sticker not showing anymore. When I bring it back he has to flip it back to scan it. If he complains I just say "Just put the insert on the right side, the french version is for idiots who don't understand english only, it shouldn't be the default whether the PQ likes it or not!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks