What's new

Paramounts new bilingual cover in Canada (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of ordering from the USA, anyone know what the best store would be? Being able to avoid customs would be a nice thing... An import store in the UK would be even better...

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Oh no. I knew ordering from Canada worked too well to remain that way.

Rumour has it that play.com get their discs from Canada too, I need to get in touch with them and find out if it's true.

I seriously dislike ordering from places that don't include the shipping costs in the price - and ordering from the US is a near-guarantee it will stick in customs, with nasty surcharges added.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I fail to see the point of listing all the extras in French, and then adding "Extras are Only in English" (in french).
(hey kids! here's what you CAN'T have!)
And what's also weird, looking at the Zoolander back cover from dvdprofiler, is that the Canadian Home Video rating logo is there. (bottom right, on top of the Paramount logo). I think this means that they weren't really planning on having two covers, one for Canada, and one for the states, at first.
Alliance is even ruining the FRONT cover on some discs, like Bones. (Le Spectre de Bones)...
Disney's Version Francaise Incluse ugly yellow cover circles on the front are just as bad too.
I hope that DVDcoverart.com can scan the original covers soon.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Well the latest Universal covers have french on the front as well. It's in small print but it's annoying. French is on the spine too.

Jeff

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
See, this is a good reason that Canada should let Quebec secede from the country and be independently run. Logically, by becoming their OWN country, they couldn't make the rest of Canada produce bi-lingual packaging. Could work.
Trace

Luc D

Second Unit
The "language police" is a complete joke, but let's not go crazy. After all, it's just a cover. As long as the disc is the same then I don't think it's such a big deal.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, it is only a cover, but it ruins the asthetics of the cover and spine, and is something that I do have to pay for. Given a choice, I'll go with the US version. Stick the French on the reverse side like Alliance was doing.

Rolando

Screenwriter
That's just FU%*ING ENOUGH!!!! This is such fu%*ing bull*#it. Now I am really P.O.ed. I don't know how to start a petition but if anyone does please do so.
This DOES ruin the look of the movie. I want the ORIGINAL COVER! French on the other side is ok by me, I never see it right? And someone who wants to have the French cover just reverses his cover and never sees the English side. Everyone is happy. But NOOOO! Not enough right? Now the store that might have the best price for Silence of the lambs and The One only has Silence des agneaux and Le Seul! If I wanted Le FU#*ING Seul I would buy and R2 Version from France!!!
Something MUST be done. Buying from US is too expensive. We have to let them know they are losing money. We must give them these examples. See I don't have any of these Movies because they are not a priority. The One sells for about $26.99 or $27.99 Canadian and I did not feel the need to buy it right away. While walking through a Big store I saw the cover from a distance and saw $22.99 so I said WOW good deal, might as well get it. Even my girlfriend said heck for that price you should get it
(
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
)
so getting the rare and much coveted GF approval I was about to grab it until we noticed... LE SEUL. :angry:
Don't give me the bilingual story since I am not asking for the French track to be removed nor am I saw no French packaging at all. All I want is ORIGINAL packaging (SAME AS US, EXACTLY THE SAME) and either reversable cover OR a STICKER or 2 ON PLASTIC WRAP in French. DO NOT RUIN COVER! Those yellow circles like on Sixth Sese Vista Series are bad enough!

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I could be wrong but I think Rolando is pissed. :)
Anyway, another issue that has just dawned on me is resale value. I've ebayed and traded a lot of DVD's and I'm concerned this cover issue is going to make it harder for me to sell and trade them to the U.S.
I wouldn't want these covers so why would someone in the states want them?
Jeff

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Much like the other Europeans who buy online in Canada that posted here, I just felt sort of like the bubble burst, it was too good to last... Did you ever find a US store that could rival the prices inc shipping and service of say absound.ca or thunderdvd.com? Lasersedge.com seems very good, but with many prices that seem to average about 22.4 and that cuts it too close in order for the discs to go through customs, in case the US dollar exchange rate changes. For now though, I think I will definitively start using lasersedge, when I want the US version instead of the Canadian. I was just curious to learn if anybody else had found any other good online shops.

In my situation in Norway, I specifically would need a store that sells DVD's for less than $22.4 and has low shipping (I would need to ship one DVD at the time to avoid customs)

If they can do it in Canada, it is strange that they can't do it in the US.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I don't like it either but it would not influence my decision to buy a movie I liked. Beauty is only skin deep.

Trevor H

Second Unit
Could someone please post a hi-res scan of the US cover of Jay And Silent Bob, I want to print one and then rip up this damn english/french cover and mail it back to Alliance.

Come to think about it we should start a thread with links to US covers of bastardized Canadian covers. We could call it the OCA (Original Cover Art) thread.

Trevor H

Second Unit
Thanks for the link Gui, but the J&SB cover is only 123 KB's, in order to make a quality print I will need a file 5-10 times that size. I like the fact that the OCA is for a slim case also.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I don't like it either but it would not influence my decision to buy a movie I liked. Beauty is only skin deep.
I agree, and it will not keep me from buying the movies I want either. But it will however strongly influence WHERE I buy my movies, and yes, I think it is still worth it if I have to pay a little more.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,

Yes the picture displaying the cover is only 123 kb, but if you look below you'll find a link to the cover in hi-res (almost 5 mb in size)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Alliance released Iron Monkey without the bilingual cover....looking at the features listed on the back cover, there doesn't appear to be any french track listed either.
Correct, this movie has no french on it so no need for a french cover (Although french subs would have been a nice addition but that's alright)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

just got K-PAX and at first I marveled at how stupid this cover looks and how pointless the whole concept of bilingual covers is.

The outside is English and French, the inside looks just the same, but the front is French only. Otherwise it looks the same, the French and Engilsh text boxes simply changed places (i.e. on the outside English text is on the left, on the inside English text is on the right).

It was only when I saw that they even had to audacity to list "French packaging on reverse" as part of the special features that I got really angry.

By the way, "English packaging on reverse" is not listed on the French cover.

Chris

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I completely agree with Rolando's post. Canadian releases should be 100% identical to US releases. I don't see bilingual English/Spanish (or English/French) DVD covers anywhere in the US, so why should Canada be any different? The inclusion of a French track is already enough... no need to ruin the cover.
From now on, I'll be importing Paramount DVDs from the US (in addition to most Disney & New Line releases).
Perhaps Quebec should adopt the dual-release concept (similar to WS and P&S releases) and release two versions of all DVDs - the normal one and the French one.
We never had these problems with good ol' VHS... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks