1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

PARAMOUNT: Will You Ever Release These Titles on Blu-ray...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kyrsten Brad, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    The one I want more than any others from Paramount is a wonderful, pretty recent gem from the year 2000 called "Wonder Boys".

Directed by Curtis Hanson from a screenplay by Steve Kloves (adapting Michael Chabon's novel), starring Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire, Robert Downey Jr., Francis McDormand, Katie Holmes, and with an Academy Award winning title song by Bob Dylan. It's in my top five movies of all time. Wonderful characters brought to life by a brilliant cast and great writing, with really top-notch work by everyone both in front and behind the camera.

Paramount first released it in February 2000 and it flopped hard (this has been attributed near universally to a dismal advertising campaign that completely misrepresented the movie), but they took the rare step of giving it a theatrical re-release later in the year, I believe October 2000, and they still botched the marketing campaign and it flopped twice in the same year. It's available in standard definition on DVD but that's about it -- you can't even get it in SD, much less HD, on the various online services like Vudu, iTunes, Amazon Instant, etc.

With Robert Downey Jr and Tobey Maguire huge stars now thanks to turns in Marvel-themed movies, and Michael Douglas about to join them on that list, there's probably a way to market the movie to an audience that loves those actors but has never heard of this movie. The writer Steve Kloves went on to write the screenplays for all of the Harry Potter movies (except for the fifth film), though "from the screenwriter of Harry Potter" might be a little unwieldy to print on a box cover.

I don't expect to ever get this film in HD, but it's got to be at the top of the list for me. I'd buy it in a heartbeat - and probably buy a bunch of copies to give to friends and family.

2. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    It's a good film (not in my top list of anything), but it definitely holds up to repeated viewings. I recently read the novel and it is also a very good read. Both film and novel are highly recommended.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    Paramount's back catalog has for many years been the most elusive of any studio. Considering the number of "A" titles that remain unavailable to us (your list covers many of them, but leaves off PAPER MOON, DRAGONSLAYER, PARALLAX VIEW, ROMEO AND JULIET (1968) and many others), it seems to me it ought be illegal for Paramount/Warner Bros. to keep these titles in prison when no Miranda rights were read.

4. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Seconded on:

Mommie Dearest (1982)

Pretty In Pink (1985): Should be released as part of the "Best of the 80s" collection like another Molly Ringwald film, Sixteen Candles (1984).

5. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Fancy Pants!

6. mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan Supporting Actor

Mike
    The Red Tent 1969 with Sean Connery and Peter Finch!

7. atfree

atfree Premium
    Supporter

Alex
    A guilty pleasure to be sure, but I think it would LOOK great on BD:

[​IMG]

ahollis likes this.
  8. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    Olivia deHaviland topless in Blu-ray. Wow. It is also a guilty pleasure of mine also. So second vote.

Will Krupp likes this.
  9. cinerama10

cinerama10 Second Unit

peter
    Which RAT RACE? There have been several films with that title? Most of the films listed in this forum, would have a very limited appeal. There are some classics but many were flops and tedious affairs.

10. cinerama10

cinerama10 Second Unit

peter
    To many forgettable films in your list. Both IN HARM'S WAY and DARLING LILY were flops when released in 70mm. THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH may have won an Oscar but it was a very tedious affair. A very , very tedious and overlong affair. Cecil B. De Milles's worst film .ROMAN HOLIDAY and NEVADA SMITH are worthy titles.

11. cinerama10

cinerama10 Second Unit

peter
    MOMMIE DEAREST was a huge flop at the box office and received very negative reviews. Truly one of the worst films of the year at the time of it's original release. Pure garbage and disrespectable to one of the all time legends of cinema.

12. atfree

atfree Premium
    Supporter

Alex
    In the eye of the beholder. I'm sure if you posted a list, I wouldn't care for many of them myself. All a matter of taste.

Will Krupp, GlennF and ahollis like this.
  13. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

Warner--If you have these Paramount titles, please release them-- ORDINARY PEOPLE---RAGTIME--CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD---ANGELAS ASHES--PLAY IT AGAIN SAM--DAY OF THE LOCUST--WITNESS.

14. Osato

Osato Screenwriter

The Saint 1997

15. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

More than one actress was topless in THE ADVENTURERS, but I don't remember Melanie Wilkes being one of them. :eek:
    At least not in the 1970 theatrical release. Was there a later "restored" version with such a scene or are you just having fun with us?

16. atfree

atfree Premium
    Supporter

Alex
    Maybe he was thinking about Ernest Borgnine

Will Krupp and ahollis like this.
  17. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    She was on the DVD. But the DVD even had and am intermission so maybe it was the International version.

18. bronson

bronson Stunt Coordinator

Adrian
    I´m waiting for:

1) The Longest Yard (Burt Reynolds)
    2) Staying Alive (John Travolta)
    3) Another 48 Hours (Eddie Murphy)

19. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    Olivia de Havilland lowered herself to doing that after the Hays Code era ended?

Too bad...

20. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    In that period a lot of older stars were going the bare breast route to try to compete with the younger ones. As I remember it was a quick shot but very nice or maybe I was just shocked.