What's new

Paramount recalls and re-releases 'The Jack Ryan' collection (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
While I like everyone here would have preferred that they repress and replace the discs to match the packaging, I'm sure they did the math and figured it would be cheaper to replace the inserts rather than the discs. Looking at the box I think they can and will still keep that even though it says collectors edition (the way the format war is going one could argue that it really is going to be a collectors edition :)), so they only have to replace the insert.

Actually I bet they just make stickers and put them over the incorrect info. All the info is at the top of the case. That would be the cheapest. You just pay for shipping back (which they had to do regardless), small stickers, and let interns do the work (explains the six months). Run them through the shrinkwrap machine again and they are done for a lot less than repressing. Since Cees and I already have copies we won't double dip. First one to get it please take and post a pic of the new back cover....

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Anyone know if these will be released individually? The only one I'm really interested in is Red October.

Dan_Ohio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Feel free to kill me. But I find this interesting that the HD-DVD will no extras is acceptable, after all the other discussion threads beating on Blu-ray for not having 2.0 ready to go.

Personally I will wait 9 months and have the set on Blu-ray with extras. There is no way the studios are not going release Blu-ray.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Someone please change the thread title to perhaps,"Paramount re-releasing JRC".

ps. You can order this from Australia for around US$33 - March 6th.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

No blood will be shed, but there is a difference between no features on a disc and player profiles. Assuming they come out with the super-duper collectors edition with networking and PIP next year I can play it on my current HD DVD player. I won't be happy about the double dip, but that's life. If they come out with that same version on BD in nine months I will just be able to watch the films on my current BD player...

A side note, I bet if Paramount decides to go back to BD that they will just port over a lot of the HD DVD titles they put out. These may be already on BD from before their announcement sitting in a warehouse somewhere....

ReggieW

Screenwriter
It's also overly optimistic to assume that many of the HD-DVD exclusive titles (especially from Universal) will suddenly up and appear on Blu-ray IF Universal/Paramount switches in a space of "fill in the gap months." It could be YEARS before some of these catalog titles surface on Blu-ray, and this is assuming that the HD-DVD studios actually do switch anytime soon. If it happens, I agree with Adam that they'll likely just port over the features (if any) of the HD-DVD to the Blu-ray version, but I have a feeling that some of the Universal catalog titles will be slow in coming on Blu, and you may end up seeing Darkman & The Thing selling for big bucks on Ebay.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I agree which is why I have no plans to sell off my HD DVD player and most of the titles I bought. Might as well get my moneys worth out of the format. Though I will be picking up any Warner catch-up BD titles and selling off the HD DVD versions whenever they come out.

I also wouldn't think twice about continuing to pick up desirable catalog titles on HD DVD if Uni and Paramount ever get around to announcing any, but their silence on that front is telling.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I don't want to get into a whole discussion about manufacturing timelines or anything because at the end of the day it really doesn't matter, but I'll simply say that I think 4 months (holidays included) is too long. It's not as if this was a million disc pressing. We're talking what... less than 150K units? Anyway, like I said, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I'll be just as happy watching Hunt for Red October in HD now as I would have been 4 months ago.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Just part of the format war, Dan, nothing more. Not to be taking that seriously. HD DVD-fans are just happy that at least some films are still being released and I can´t obviously blame them.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I wonder if I should start worrying. As of this date, The Jack Ryan Collection is listed only on DVD Pacific and DVD Empire. It is not listed on Amazon or DeepDiscount. With about 6 weeks to go, it seems strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks