What's new

Paramount recalls and re-releases 'The Jack Ryan' collection (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I would have tried to buy it again and then demand to speak to a manager when it would ring up, again. Tell the manager you were in the other day and tried to buy and saw it on the shelf again today and tried to buy. Then tell him to either let you purchase it or stop putting out on the sales floor. Then, just grab it and run for the door, those 80 year old greeters will never be able to stop you! :laugh:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I actually tried to rebuy it this afternoon. This time an electronics employee called a manager who told him they couldn't sell it because it was out before street date. After I told him it was past street date, he decided it must be a safety recall and told the electronics kid to not sell it and pull any remaining sets off the shelf along with the price flag. :laugh:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

At this point it´s more like "films" for me than "formats", but I agree that especially this "Transformers here - Transformers there - I love Paramount"-type of talk slightly pisses me off. ;) If Paramount´s recent track record is really "phenomenal" or something, then Fox is at least equally good (if we forget the price etc for a second). One Transformers just isn´t "enough" for me.

But yes, if "Transformers" is great looking/sounding release, people of course should thank the company. Now it seems that some people thank the "format", which is a bit misleading.. ANY of the bigger companies (Blu-ray or HD DVD) could´ve made this film look "great" in HD..

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just received mine (not even unwrapped at this moment). Yes, it took that long in the post.

Now this is interesting: nowhere on the package (I haven't taken out the individual cases yet, just looking at it like I would have done in a B&M shop) does it say that "extras" would be present. (All, that seems to be present is a clear danger...).

The lengths of the individual movies are explicitly given and do not include any extra time.
The total time of the Box Set itself is given as 8hrs 35 min: exactly the sum of the four films. (CAPD 141m, PG 116m, THFRO 135m, TSOAF 123m).

(Perhaps the words "Special Collector's Edition" underneath each of the titles could be construed as meaning "includes extras.")

In fact, I'm very happy with these HD DVDs.

Cees

Manus

Second Unit
I've got em too . Beautiful PQ. However at the price I paid ( Hello Paramount :)
I was disappointed that I didnt get all the etras from the 'Special Eds' so I could offload them ????

Also think its disappointing that Paramount have let it rumble on this long without making their intentions clear

~M~

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
They're collector's items now, Manus! Hold on to it.

People weren't even allowed anymore to buy the ones they held in their hands at their local Walmart!
It cannot be found on Amazon, or on the sites of most on-line retailers.

Who knows how they look when (if) they return! :laugh:

Cees

Manus

Second Unit
Maybe I'll have a Jack Ryan night in over Christmas then to celebrate ;)

no E-Bay ( unless I get desperate )

:)

~M~

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw it at Walmart today, I didn't try buying it so I don't know if it would work or not. If they can't sell them it shouldn't be allowed on the display shelf.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I agree, but they aren't as aware of the titles as we are. From reading what happened to other people at Walmart, If you take it to the register the barcode is flagged to not allow them to sell it. When people tried to buy them the A/V manager was notified of the barcode problem by the cashier and they were removed from the shelves.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I can attest to what Adam said. I tried twice to buy a set and was denied both times. It still cracks me up that I was told it was because of a safety recall. :laugh:

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
tried many times at local wal-marts, denied, did a little digging and found plenty places online that have them

sadly though as what has become the norm for Paramount, all 4 films have NR applied, SOAF to a horrid nearly unwatchable degree, HFRO next worst, truly a shame

-Gary

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yet, most of us can't even talk about that issue since we don't have the discs, but feel free to discuss your NR issues with Face/Off in the proper thread as many of us have that disc.:)

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well I called this one. So all that wait was for revised artwork that tells the customer they aren't getting any bonus material? That's.............just..........swell.

Keep 'em comin' Paramount. :rolleyes

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Maybe they were just waiting so they won't even have to actually release them when they switch back to Blu, LOL. ;) :D 3/25 is still a long ways off afterall. :P

I'm not looking forward to the DNR and EE mess though if/when I ever can play some Paramount HDM titles. :P Is it really *THAT* bad??

_Man_

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
So, in two months you guys will be able to own the set Manus and I own for two months already, but with a more truthful package. Hmm, they'd better distributed some stickers, I'd say.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks