What's new

Paramount recalls and re-releases 'The Jack Ryan' collection (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
In a word, yes. This is not different than the 'over the top' raving on the POC releases that hit a few months back. Transformers is an exception quality release as were the POC releases.

And in another word, while it may have looked as good in either format, it is HD DVD that has it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the HD camp having some releases that are bragging rights material. The same holds true for the BD camp. Lucky for me being dual format, I can, and do own both.:D

ReggieW

Screenwriter

Well, that's certainly no surprise is it?

I guess it's a bit much to ask Paramount to take the high ground and simply release them as special editions just like they initially announced them.

I never had this set on order (though "Red October" WAS enticing before yanking the features), but I certainly feel for those who did.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mine has already been sent off to me.
So I guess I'll keep the collector's item then. :frowning:

If they add a disk with the extras after all, I will make sure I get it.

Cees

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Paramount has produced an astonishingly good run of HD and BD product, with very few problems.

Their overall QC has been superb.

I don't see the Ryan situation as anything but a tiny bump in the production vs. marketing road, and nothing unusual.

If one looks at the occasional technical problems with Universal, Warner, M-G-M, Sony, Disney or Fox, nothing is different.

DVDs are very difficult to master and produce, and the fact that during the year long period that this set has probably been in production that there was a loss of synchronicity between packaging and production...

RAH

Manus

Second Unit
...So I would surely hope that they would do the right thing and provide those of us who ponied up ( like me ) with the properly remastered editions which I / we thought we had ordered ????

What with the small ( but growing ;) ) HD market its better that this happened now rather than in 3-4 years time so they can do the right thing and not lose too much on the deal .

I really want these films and hope I dont have to wait too long to get em ..

~M~

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
First Top Gun and now this.
The big picture is that it looks like catalog titles from Paramount will from now on likely be bare bones.
That is very disappointing with Braveheart, Titanic, the Trek movies, and the Godfather films potentially coming up.
Interesting. When Paramount went HDdvd exclusive this what Mr. Grey reportedly said...

"Paramount Home Entertainment said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs. "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount," said Brad Grey, chairman and chief executive of Paramount Pictures.

Of Blu-ray's greater storage capacity than HD DVD, the executive called it "a little bit overrated," saying that most titles don't require a capcity more than 30GB, and in cases where they do, Paramount would issue a second disc for bonus features."

I guess bonus features just aren't that important anymore. I guess this WILL keep costs down.

:frowning:

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
The day after this was processed and shipped, came the news about the extras, and the day of the recall is when the set arrived. I'll hold onto it, given that I'm very pleased with the presentation of the films, and the re-issue is likely going to bare-bones anyway.

I can't believe the disparity between Paramount's new releases and their catalog titles (well, the newly issued catalog titles). 'Mission Impossible III' and 'Transformers' are two of the best HD titles I have.

(Side note, ignore anything I said in the 'Transformers' movie thread. Thanks for understanding.)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
No studio is without mishaps. Remember the 'holy grail' of Blu-ray, Pirates of the Caribbean Blu-ray disc has mis framing in several sequences. Off with their head! (literally! :D) Dangit, if this keeps up, I'm not going to listen to those soundtrack music scores anymore! ;) These things DO happen. Remember Fox's Mel Brook's set with some getting the wrong Blazing Saddles release? Or Warner's mighty Superman set? This case clearly was a mistake (pun intended) and I'm sure it will work out.

Calling Paramount an HD DVD disaster is well, a knee-jerk response.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Not "disaster", but in the same boat with e.g. Fox/MGM, which is dropping extras in some of their HD-releases. That´s not the problem with Warner and Universal. You CAN do things like WB and Universal, but some companies have chose not to. To me at least, it´s actually simple as that and it´s the general view how I personally "rate" the studios. One Transformers won´t save this situation. Of course, Paramount is now under the microscope because of their "HD DVD deal" (like "Fox" in the other camp).

But hell, now since we have "Transformers", I can die happy and forget those approx. 1 000 movies that I would rather see on HD and that would be a real "holy grails" (just for the record, POTC is not one of them, I don´t even own these movies).

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
And Dumbstruck too. Oh I forgot, we are supposed to be settling for 'good enough' now.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I too was thinking the same. But I think the fact that there is more money to be made by selling the same title again on Blu-Ray with features added, must be more tempting to Paramount.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hurray to Paramount for setting this right. For the sets that made it out, will they set up some kind of exchange program to mail in for the corrected packaging? :rolleyes

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
'Dumbstruck' would account for this same lame line being used at every opportunity.:laugh: A little tiresome, isn't it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Since they were pulled to the scheduled release, there should be few copies that were actually sold. For those that shipped early, my guess is the point of purchase will except them back.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Maybe we should wait to hear what Paramount is going to do. Bottom line is this set retails at only 25.00 a title (on Amazon, it can be purchased as a set for well under 15.00 a title). Certainly not Special Edition pricing, even in SD standards.

We can certainly use this issue as a bashing point for those still pissed off at Paramount's decision to go exclusive, and my guess is that is what is driving most of this. All you have to do is read some of the comments that continue to refer to the HD DVD exclusivity to know this, but it all means nothing. When Paramount announces what the fix will be, then we can have a legitimate basis to comment one way or the other.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody actually popped in Face/Off to confirm the extras?

Apparently you can't go by the specs on the packaging anymore.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
According to the link I supplied, the answer is yes. Face/Off is a 2 disk set. I assume the reviewer was looking at the disks.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
That provided me with a much needed laugh. :laugh: Although I think that in the case of 'Face Off', they did get the specs right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks