1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paramount Press Release: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (DVD/Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Groundbreaking Winner of Three Academy Awards® Makes Home Entertainment Debut

BRAD PITT STARS IN DIRECTOR DAVID FINCHER’S SWEEPING EPIC NAMED BY OVER 150 CRITICS AS ONE OF THE BEST FILMS OF THE YEAR

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
    One of the Year’s Most Critically-Acclaimed Films Arrives May 5, 2009 On Two-Disc Special Edition DVD and Two-Disc Blu-ray Brimming with Over Three Hours of Fascinating Special Features

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – A thrilling adventure and captivating story of one man’s unusual and enchanted life, director David Fincher’s Academy Award®-winning film THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON debuts as a two-disc DVD and two-disc Blu-ray on May 5, 2009 from Paramount Home Entertainment. Called “a monumental achievement” that “must be experienced” (Rex Reed, New York Observer), the film stars Academy Award nominee Brad Pitt who “does his best work ever” (Lou Lumenick, New York Post) and Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett who “is simply dazzling” (Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal) in an exhilarating adventure that takes viewers on a breathtaking journey filled with romance and redemption. Nominated for 13 Academy Awards and winner for Best Visual Effects, Art Direction and Makeup, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON also stars Academy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson (Hustle & Flow), Academy Award winner Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton) and Julia Ormond (Legends of the Fall)) in a grand tale of a not-so-ordinary man and the people and places he discovers along the way, the loves he finds, the joys and romance of life and what lasts beyond time.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON two-disc DVD and two-disc Blu-ray boast over three hours of enthralling special features including interviews with stars Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett with behind-the-scenes footage of their astonishing on-screen transformations, an in-depth documentary revealing the unusual journey of the film itself including the secrets of its award-winning visual effects and an exploration of the groundbreaking computer wizardry that brought the magical world of Benjamin Button to life.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON DVD & Blu-ray

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON two-disc and single-disc DVD are presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The two-disc Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. The two-disc Criterion Edition DVD and two-disc Criterion Blu-ray include the following special features:

o The Curious Birth of Benjamin Button—four-part documentary:
    o Academy Award-nominated director David Fincher introduces the surprising beginnings of what would become an epic masterpiece including the casting of Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, the decision to change the location of the story to New Orleans and more.
    o Follow the production from day one including the challenges of aging Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, designing over five thousand costumes and creating the animatronic baby.
    o Explore the incredible visual effects techniques created specifically for the film that allowed Brad Pitt to play the title character at virtually every age. Also includes a visit to the scoring stage with composer Alexandre Desplat.
    o Walk the red carpet at the film’s premiere in New Orleans, with final thoughts from cast and crew.
    o Audio Commentary by director David Fincher

There is also a single-disc DVD presentation that includes the feature film.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
    Street Date: May 5, 2009
    Pricing: $29.99 U.S./$36.99 Canada (Single-Disc DVD)
    $39.99 U.S./$45.99 Canada (Two-Disc Criterion DVD)
    $39.99 U.S./$45.99 Canada (Two-Disc Criterion Blu-ray)
    Runtime: 165 minutes
    U.S. Rating: PG-13 for brief war violence, sexual content, language and smoking
    Canadian Rating: PG for mature theme and coarse language
    --

2. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Screenwriter

If I can find this for a decent price, I will blind-buy this one.

In semi-related news, Fox this is your queue to announce Fight Club on BD. [​IMG]

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Screenwriter

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    The Criterion release is a head scratcher. It just comes out of left field.

5. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Screenwriter

Yeah, but anything that gets Criterion releases more visibility while upping the quality of a studio's picture, audio and/or extras for a title is a good thing in my book. If this is true, it means they're actually working with at least one studio instead of essentially just licensing titles. Imagine a Paramount-Criterion release of, say, Apocalypse Now (hopefully with non-Storaroized AR) with the with all the Redux goodies and then some.

6. RDarrylR

RDarrylR Stunt Coordinator

Well maybe the publicity will also help spur sales of their other Blu-ray releases? I'm hoping so.

7. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

A Paramount/Criterion joint bodes well for a Blu-ray release of Robinson Crusoe on Mars sooner rather than later.

(Paramount owns the film, but Criterion has released the only decent video versions.)

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

9. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

Uh oh, I can already hear the people at the Criterion forum complain about how this should never be a Criterion film.
    I haven't seen the film yet, but Fincher guarantees a must-buy on Blu. But if it's released by Criterion, does it mean it will be region-coded? I assume the other Blu-Ray releases for this will be the same, comparing the supplements?

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    A Criterion release with co-operation from a major studio has done before, most notably with Disney (Armageddon, The Rock, The Life Aquatic, etc.)

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I suspect Criterion's involvement here will be similar to its involvement with The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic i.e. Criterion does the legwork on supplements, encoding, etc., while Paramount handles duplication and distribution. As for whether it qualifies as a Criterion release, Criterion describes what it releases as "important classic and contemporary films" in its mission statement. That's a subjective standard by any measure, but I don't doubt that Benjamin Button will be considered an important film by some in the film community for many years to come.

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Yes, it is a Criterion co-project.

Noticed this on the artwork. I was very short of time today to
    include it in this thread but the artwork looks very elegant.

13. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    A day-and-date blind buy for THIS Forum member! Whoo-hoo!!![​IMG]

14. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

I'm sure Criterion will do a great job, and the film is of course technically impeccable--it's Fincher, after all. It should be a great blu-ray, for fans of the film.

That said, I don't necessarily recommend a blind buy of this one, even if you're a Fincher fan. I'm a huge fan of Seven, Fight Club, and Zodiac, but after seeing this theatrically I don't have too much interest in owning the disc. Not that it's a bad movie--I just recommend a rental first.

--Jefferson Morris

15. ccfixx

ccfixx Stunt Coordinator

16. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

The most curious feature of this BluRay is that the first time you watch it, the film is grainy, scratched and faded. Every subsequent time you view it the picture, color and sound will improve.

17. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

To me, this should have won Best Picture over Slumdog. Not taking anything away from Slumdog which I thought was a fabulous film, but Button resonated more and impacted me on a really deep level. I actually have a different outlook on my life and things in general solely based on how I interpreted certain parts of Button and his life.
    I can't wait to add this to my collection. I'm especially looking forward to Fincher's commentary as he is one of the best at giving them.

18. ccfixx

ccfixx Stunt Coordinator

Here's the blu-ray packaging for "Benjamin Button" as posted by cndchris over at CriterionForum.org.

CC

19. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Screenwriter

I wish Criterion would standardize their packaging. I realize this release is a bit of a 'special case'. Personally, I like the packaging for Wages of Fear the best.

20. PaulDA

PaulDA Screenwriter

Paul
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm a big fan of Fincher's work, but I think I'll give this a rental first owing to its unusual story structure.