What's new

Paramount Pre-1950 Films owned by Universal (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know if this one is now in the hands of Universal, but it's one that I've wanted on DVD for a long time: "I Walk Alone" (1948) Paramount property according to IMDb
I am pretty sure this film stayed with Paramount; the pictures that MCA (Universal) bought were the pre-1948 films. This came out the same year as Sorry Wrong Number (1948) which Paramount owns. Also as a Hal Wallis Production, his films stayed with Paramount such as The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers (1946).

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Originally Posted by DeWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not holding my breath for better prints :) Due to the existing shape of the library.
[COLOR= #0000ff]I beg your pardon. Universal is doing stellar preservation work on the Paramount library. Bob O'Neil and Mike Feinberg are producing gorgeous prints of these pictures, many of which have been shown at Cinecon in recent years. If Universal is not putting them on DVD, it's not because the materials are imperfect.
Mike S.
[/COLOR]

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Garysb /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal#post_3612486
The print that TCM uses for " Remember the Night (1940)" about An assistant D.A. who takes a shoplifter home with him for Christmas.
is terrible. It has the old MCA TV logo without the Paramount logo. It really looks like an old 16 MM local TV print. TCM is showing it again in December. I hope they get a better print and that the other pre 48 Paramount films are in much better shape.
Well, their broadcast of SWING HIGH, SWING LOW made REMEMBER THE NIGHT look positively pristine.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by cadavra
[COLOR= #0000ff]I beg your pardon. Universal is doing stellar preservation work on the Paramount library. Bob O'Neil and Mike Feinberg are producing gorgeous prints of these pictures, many of which have been shown at Cinecon in recent years. If Universal is not putting them on DVD, it's not because the materials are imperfect.
Mike S.
[/COLOR]
No complaints here on the Pre-Code Collection, nor Lonely are the Brave and Trail of the Lonesome Pine. I am sure the Claudette Colbert collection will be up to their good standards (Kudos to Bob and Mike). I think everyone is trying to find a reason for the lack of releases this year other than economy and lack of mass interest. It is hard to accept the fact that millions of people are not breathlessly awaiting the release of a favorite obscure film, but in reality I know that more than likely only about a couple of hundred. No profit there.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Pete York /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal#post_3612636
Well, their broadcast of SWING HIGH, SWING LOW made REMEMBER THE NIGHT look positively pristine.
SWING is a public domain title - if a good print exists, I've never seen it.

Charles H

Screenwriter
In an old thread, it was mentioned that Fox probably bought a decent print of SWING HIGH, SWING LOW when they bought the remake rights for WHEN MY BABY SMILES AT ME. Maybe they even have DANCE OF LIFE?

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
According to David Cherichetti's biography/filmography of Leisen (Hollywood Director) :
"When Fox bought the rights to "Burlesque" (the original source material for SHSL), Paramount may have sent over the original camera negative, as was often done. In the late '60s, The American Film Institute asked both studios to search for the film and all that turned up was an incomplete nitrate release print at Paramount. Leisen's 16mm print was borrowed from the friend to whom he had willed it and the missing three reels were blown up to 35mm. Thus the film exists now but hardly in a condition to showcase Leisen's beautiful imagry."

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
"Remember the Night" was released on VHS and the print used for that release was much better than what was shown on TCM. It has also been shown on PBS over the years and looked fine.
I am sure good elements exist for the film. That is why it was a surprise when I saw how poor the film looked on TCM. I hope Universal supplies TCM with better material when it is next shown. It is one of my favorite holiday pictures.TCM will also be showing "Christmas In July" in December, another favorite. "Its not the coffee, its the bunk" Anyone who has seen this picture will know what that means.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Originally Posted by Garysb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Remember the Night" was released on VHS and the print used for that release was much better than what was shown on TCM. It has also been shown on PBS over the years and looked fine.
I am sure good elements exist for the film. That is why it was a surprise when I saw how poor the film looked on TCM. I hope Universal supplies TCM with better material when it is next shown. It is one of my favorite holiday pictures.TCM will also be showing "Christmas In July" in December, another favorite. "Its not the coffee, its the bunk" Anyone who has seen this picture will know what that means.
TCM first showed "Remember the Night" around Christmas a couple of years ago, and IIRC that print looked fine. I'm not an expert on the fire at Universal and what might have been lost in it, but ever since the fire TCM has run the poorer version of the film with the MCA logo several times.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Dan McW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TCM first showed "Remember the Night" around Christmas a couple of years ago, and IIRC that print looked fine. I'm not an expert on the fire at Universal and what might have been lost in it, but ever since the fire TCM has run the poorer version of the film with the MCA logo several times.
Dan's right. The transfer of "Remember the Night" TCM ran years ago was much nicer than the one they've run since the fire. I've often wondered if this was a coincidence.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dan's right. The transfer of "Remember the Night" TCM ran years ago was much nicer than the one they've run since the fire. I've often wondered if this was a coincidence.
That is disturbing. I don't know how TCM receives films that it licenses. What we see on TV is a film transferred to tape. If the films were destroyed surely the tapes survived. Unless its like syndicated TV shows which are transferred by satellite onto a hard drive. Local TV stations are required to erase the shows after they air.
On a postive note here are some of Paramount films controlled by Universal on TCM in January.
The Egg and I
Blue Skies
It's a Gift
Never Give a Sucker an Even Break
If I had A Million
All My Sons
Five Graves to Cairo
The Scarlett Empress
The Major and The Minor
The Heiress
To Each His Own
Foreign Affair
The Roads to Singapore, Zanibar, Morocco, and Utopia
Ma and Pa Kettle
There are probably others that I missed.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
That is disturbing. I don't know how TCM receives films that it licenses. What we see on TV is a film transferred to tape. If the films were destroyed surely the tapes survived. Unless its like syndicated TV shows which are transferred by satellite onto a hard drive. Local TV stations are required to erase the shows after they air.
Actually, I understood that it was a lot of the video and audio masters that were destoyed, not the films themselves. The archival film elements should be stored in properly protected storage facilities elsewhere. As far as Universal's film library is concerned, the worst thing that happened is that new video masters may need to be created. From what I hear, it was the audio archives that took the big hit since there are no film elements to fall back on.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Originally Posted by Dan McW /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal#post_3612848
I think we are starting to realize just how much was lost in the Universal fire. It was scary to learn that the original tape master (from UCLA's nitrate print, since deteriorated) of Island of Lost Souls may have been destroyed. That may have been the highest quality element left on that film.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Originally Posted by Dan McW /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal#post_3612848
Since there is a good R2 DVD of REMEMBER THE NIGHT in Italy that came out earlier this year, I doubt that's more than a coincidence. Moreover, the box set that included the film, also included NO TIME FOR LOVE which Universal is releasing as part of the Claudette Colbert collection. So I bet that it won't be long till a R1 release comes along.

Coopsgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie Stout
Charles H.

I would definitely become a loyal customer of a Universal Archives program if they decide to go that route. With their own films as well as the Paramount ones they have, they hold the majority of films I want from my favorite stars including Gary Cooper and Clara Bow (they have her sound films) along with many, many others.

I'm very excited about TCM's deal with Universal and can't wait to see what kind of goodies we get.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Eric Vedowski /forum/thread/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal#post_3612826
According to David Cherichetti's biography/filmography of Leisen (Hollywood Director) :
"When Fox bought the rights to "Burlesque" (the original source material for SHSL), Paramount may have sent over the original camera negative, as was often done. In the late '60s, The American Film Institute asked both studios to search for the film and all that turned up was an incomplete nitrate release print at Paramount. Leisen's 16mm print was borrowed from the friend to whom he had willed it and the missing three reels were blown up to 35mm. Thus the film exists now but hardly in a condition to showcase Leisen's beautiful imagry."
Thanks for the background, Eric.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
On a postive note here are some of Paramount films controlled by Universal on TCM in January.
The Egg and I
Blue Skies
It's a Gift
Never Give a Sucker an Even Break
If I had A Million
All My Sons
Five Graves to Cairo
The Scarlett Empress
The Major and The Minor
The Heiress
To Each His Own
Foreign Affair
The Roads to Singapore, Zanibar, Morocco, and Utopia
Ma and Pa Kettle
There are probably others that I missed.
I guess I am being picky, but The Egg & I and the Ma & Pa Kettle Series are true born Universal Pictures and indicative of the type of films the company was making in the late 40's and early 50's as was the Abbott & Costello films. I would love to see some great transfers of the Henry Aldrich series from Paramount. This series is truly rare and pretty good. It was sort of Paramount's answer to the MGM Andy Hardy series.
Concerning the fire last year, what was destroyed was video transfers and 35mm prints used for retro screenings. All negatives and other one-of-a-kind prints were stored off site in a climate controlled storage facility. If there is sup-par print being show now instead of a better transfer shown earlier, then that means the better transfer could have been destroyed and Universal has not made a new transfer yet. I understand that Universal has said that they will reprint what was lost, but it will take time. A gorgeous print of Thoroughly Modern Millie was destroyed and they have not reprinted it yet.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I've also noticed all the films on that list have been released on VHS and/or DVD :) Masters on these must have been handy and accessable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks