What's new

Paramount, please move the Star Trek The Motion Picture Widescreen Banner (1 Viewer)

Lafe F

Second Unit
I just saw the proposed case to the Star Trek: The Motion Picture DVD. Thank you for using the original movie artwork. But I'm bothered by the Widescreen banner being on the top instead of the bottom. Paramount has obviously done a change in its case design - presumably for marketing reasons. But it's jarring to make the change in the middle of a series of movies. When lined up with the other eight movies in the series, it will not match. There are customers who do not mind, and are happy simply to have the movie release on DVD, but I'm not one of them. Some of us are extremely picky about our covers. I want to add that I do not stress myself about this all day long, but it's one of the little things that would enhance my life. Please consider moving it to the bottom of the case where it belongs.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Perhaps the relocated logo will fit in with the new special editions of all the rest of the Star Trek movies and won't be such a big deal after all. You are planning to repurchase those 8 discs again, right?

Lafe F

Second Unit
Oh yeah. :> I'll be buying them all again to keep up with the latest Enterprise extras. Let's hope for a box set where all the widescreen banners are on the same level. Do you think I could sell off my original DVDs on eBay easily?

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get why people are so nuts over where the banner is & about "matching" with the rest of the series. As long as the movies are in order,boom,thats it-they match & just because one banner happens to be on top,while the rest aren't is nothing to spaz over.
Next thing people are gonna cry about the Die Hard trilogy-the first is a 5 star edition with a boxed in artwork,meanwhile the other 2 cover the whole front + omg it says Special Edition,not 5 Star.....they don't match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a banner!!!
First Friday the 13th,now this.
The movie & artwork is what matters most,not where the banner is.
lol-i'm just joking here,so please don't take this to seriously and get offended. It just boggles the mind!

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I am just glad it is coming out!
------------------
screw.jpg

Lafe F

Second Unit
Thank goodness for that!
I really like that artwork. It looks so cool with the three shafts of light through Kirk, Spock and Ilea. I can't wait to have this DVD sitting on my shelf next to the others. Paramount likely won't redo it's cover for a group wishful customers. I may do some cut and pasting of the banner on my computer and come up with a horizontally-correct cover.
[Edited last by Lafe F on July 29, 2001 at 03:38 AM]

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Guys,
It's not the original artwork.
The painting have been digitally "improved" from it's original version (a'la Jaws. This is particularly evident when you look closely at Mr. Shatner's visage.
It's no biggie, I just thought you might like to know.

oh this is so saaaad... its only a cover.... Friday The 13Th Fans also have to put up with "having the banners screwed up" you dont hear us crying about it!!!! Get over it already.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Friday the 13th fans are indeed crying about it (not the banners specifically.)
It's important for customers to let companies know what they are doing wrong. We have the right to complain politely. It gives the company a chance to improve things. It's possible these non-conforming DVD covers (Star Trek, FT13, Tales from the Darkside, etc.) haven't gone to press yet, and can be altered to our specifications. If it's too late, I'm sure the custom-cover community can do its magic.
[Edited last by Lafe F on August 01, 2001 at 09:39 AM]

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Paramount always had the "Widescreen Edition" banners on the top of their laserdisc covers for years.
Just a thought.
Also, I could care less. The movie's finally coming to DVD.
I just wish that Wise had let Paramount include the original theatrical version on the DVD as well. Not that Paramount would actually do that, but now I'll have to maintain the condition of my WS LD of TMP for nostalgia purposes if nothing else (like I'll ever watch it again anyways).
Oh, and as stated above, the ST-TMP:TDE cover art is not the original, but a new rendition using the original style.
Joel

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I agree too. While it won't stop me from buying discs I want, it is annoying seeing it on top next to so many other discs that have it on the bottom, especially all other eight Trek movies.
[Edited last by Daniel Kikin on August 01, 2001 at 09:17 AM]

Lafe F

Second Unit
But like a previous poster said - Paramount may one day release special editions of all the Trek movies with the banners at the top, so ten years from now they may all match. Until then, it will look awful. No design-sense, Paramount?

Lafe F

Second Unit
(fanboy-rant)
Paramount, please change the crew uniforms on Star Trek the motion picture to match the rest of the movies. The ones in the Motion Picture look like blue and yellow pastel pajamas. True fans think this is very unprofessional. The later Star Trek movies had cool-neato burgandy suits with a military style. Perhaps the CGI wizards at Paramount could digitally re-texture the pajama suits to match the spiffier ones in other films.
(/fanboy-rant)
I apologize to Paramount and HTF for this digression.
[Edited last by Lafe F on August 01, 2001 at 01:51 PM]

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
One solution is that Paramount could print on both sides of
the DVD jacket like Anchor Bay has done or the way Alliance
will print an English cover and French cover for Canada.
One side could have the banner at top and one side could
have the banner at the bottom. They could even list it as
a "special feature"! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks