What's new

Paramount picks DTS for new DTS-HD sound codec with UltraViolet titles (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Paramount announced a deal with DTS to use DTS-HD format for its feature home video offerings through UltraViolet.

Paramount is the first studio to use the DTS-HD coded for digital delivery. The digital delivery is being used through UltraViolet's common file format (CFF) which is scheduled to launch at the end of this year. CFF guarantees that all Ultraviolet playback devices will be be able to play the content.

The deal between Paramount and DTS is non exclusive.

I'm not exactly sure how many people use Ultraviolet for a home theater experience, thus even having 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I was under the impression that most UV rights were obtained from purchasing a Blu-ray disc and that the majority of use was through portable devices. If that is really the case, does it really matter what codec is being used based on the limitations of portable playback devices?

Has anyone used UV in their home theater? If so, what has your experience been? Has anyone purchased a UV title separate from what comes with Blu-ray titles?

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
To answer a couple of your questions, I have my Ultraviolet collection available on all my portable devices but only use thru my Roku on my TV. When I'm travelling I take a Roku with me so I always have my movies with me to play on any TV. If I want the best quality though, I grab the disc.

My collection is a little bit from buying blurays with a UV code, some from purchasing codes from people not using them and from disc to digital. Its really really easy right now to build a UV collection.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Kevin Collins said:
If that is really the case, does it really matter what codec is being used based on the limitations of portable playback devices?
I think it will have more impact as more and more portable device manufacturers choose either Dolby Headphone or DTS Headphone:X as audio output options.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Kevin Collins said:
Paramount announced a deal with DTS to use DTS-HD format for its feature home video offerings through UltraViolet.

Paramount is the first studio to use the DTS-HD coded for digital delivery. The digital delivery is being used through UltraViolet's common file format (CFF) which is scheduled to launch at the end of this year. CFF guarantees that all Ultraviolet playback devices will be be able to play the content.

The deal between Paramount and DTS is non exclusive.

I'm not exactly sure how many people use Ultraviolet for a home theater experience, thus even having 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I was under the impression that most UV rights were obtained from purchasing a Blu-ray disc and that the majority of use was through portable devices. If that is really the case, does it really matter what codec is being used based on the limitations of portable playback devices?

Has anyone used UV in their home theater? If so, what has your experience been? Has anyone purchased a UV title separate from what comes with Blu-ray titles?
I use ultraviolet in my home theater and have converted many dvds over to VUDU which is UV supported. They use dolby 7.1 and ive converted those discs not available on bluray to 1080p HDX.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks