What's new

Paramount -- LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It aired once in an edited form on VH1 in the early 90's. That is the only time I saw it.
And I remember seeing it listed in cable guides as airing on some of the pay channels in the early 80's. I would think it was before 1985. That is where I first heard of it.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
cornslaw said:
Did my post get deleted purposefully or did I screw up.
In the last post:
I was asking if anyone knew of other times The Fabulous Stains has aired on TV aside from the four February 1985 airings (11 am Friday, 3 am Saturday, 11 pm Saturday, and 3 am Sunday during the weekend of February 15).
International tv airings?
And continuing my desperate begging for PDFs of the Stains stuff from Grand Royal 6.
Did I go too off subject or did I delete it myself?
Thanks,
Colin
(off list is fine: colinhelb at gmail dot com)
Shown in the UK on FilmFour several times couple of years back. Often in combination with another rock satire... "Spinal Tap" etc etc. Sometimes they double-billed with another Diane Lane film or another Ray Winstone film...

cornslaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Helb
Hey, I want to thank everyone for their help so far, but I have another weird one for you:

An interesting observation concerning the production of the film is the presence of “Red Stripe” in the film’s narrative and the film’s production credits. While on the tour bus, Billy approaches Lawnboy (who is driving the bus at the time). Billy asks Lawnboy for a beer. When Billy hands him a beer and an opener, Billy confusedly looks at the bottle and asks, “What’s this?” Lawnboy answers, “Red Stripe Beer, Mon, Jamaican beer.” Seemingly just a mere moment of creative product placement, the scene is particularly interesting for two reasons. Red Stripe was still several years away from its initial distribution in the United States or Canada, making the product placement somewhat meaningless even if successfully executed. While the beer may have been more available in the U.K. (albeit hindered by high tariffs attached to the beer produced in the former British colony), the beer would have been virtually inaccessible in North America at the time of the film’s production or intended release. This becomes more interesting when viewed in tandem with the films closing credits that include a bizarrely spelled “RED STRIPE FILMS, INK.” One possibility is that the film’s release was intended to have a promotional tie-in with the beer company. Another possibility was as a preparation for international distribution into markets in which Red Stripe was more accessible. Not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Colin

On or off list (colinhelb at gmail dot com) reply is fine

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
cornslaw said:
Hey, I want to thank everyone for their help so far, but I have another weird one for you:
An interesting observation concerning the production of the film is the presence of “Red Stripe” in the film’s narrative and the film’s production credits. While on the tour bus, Billy approaches Lawnboy (who is driving the bus at the time). Billy asks Lawnboy for a beer. When Billy hands him a beer and an opener, Billy confusedly looks at the bottle and asks, “What’s this?” Lawnboy answers, “Red Stripe Beer, Mon, Jamaican beer.” Seemingly just a mere moment of creative product placement, the scene is particularly interesting for two reasons. Red Stripe was still several years away from its initial distribution in the United States or Canada, making the product placement somewhat meaningless even if successfully executed. While the beer may have been more available in the U.K. (albeit hindered by high tariffs attached to the beer produced in the former British colony), the beer would have been virtually inaccessible in North America at the time of the film’s production or intended release. This becomes more interesting when viewed in tandem with the films closing credits that include a bizarrely spelled “RED STRIPE FILMS, INK.” One possibility is that the film’s release was intended to have a promotional tie-in with the beer company. Another possibility was as a preparation for international distribution into markets in which Red Stripe was more accessible. Not sure.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Colin
On or off list (colinhelb at gmail dot com) reply is fine
Gulp! I have no idea. Sorry.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
cornslaw said:
Just watched the film and read through the credits. Seems like Red Stripe must have had some financial investment in the film. Towards the end of the credit list is a credit for "Red Stripe Assistant," followed by the copyright notice, "Red Stripe Films, Ink."
In addition to the scene where Lawnboy shares his Red Stripe with Billy, there is a later scene in which Lawnboy is seen wearing a Red Strip shirt. This is when Lawnboy is playing the car racing video game.
It's interesting to note that Lawnboy's bottle is the green, Heineken-style bottle which was initially used for export in the States before the company switched to the distinct brown bottle that the beer came packaged in in Jamaica. Was Red Stripe planning an earlier product launch in the States that was so somehow tied to its exposure in the film? Obviously, its product placement in the film would have next to no impact since the film was all but shelved. Certainly an interesting observation and one that will hopefully be addressed in one of the commentary tracks or featurettes.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know for sure...

What is actually on this disc in terms of supplements and special features ?

Is the Diane Lane / Laura Dern commentary still on it ?

Is the Lou Adler commentary on it ?

Is there any featurettes, documentaries, trailers, galleries etc etc ?

Also, anyone seen the actual cover yet ?

Cheers.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
FWIW, a slightly altered version of the trailer (plugging the DVD and soundtrack release) can be viewed at the Amazon order page for the film. It has quite a few unseen moments and alternate takes.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Mark Edward Heuck said:
FWIW, a slightly altered version of the trailer (plugging the DVD and soundtrack release) can be viewed at the Amazon order page for the film. It has quite a few unseen moments and alternate takes.
It's such a shame they couldn't put the trailer on the bloody disc! (I thought it was going to be on it!)???
Also, the documentary would have been great to be included as well. At least that is already available on DVD (on the Other Cinema DVD release of "The Rainbow Man").
Strange that Diane Lane is doing a commentary. I thought she hated the movie!??

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The September issue of SPIN has a several page article on LAGTFS.
Starts on page 54.
Some film footage is offered at:
spin.com/fabulous-stains
It's a good read with lots of juicy stories about the shoot.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Henry Gale said:
has a several page article on LAGTFS.
Starts on page 54.
Some film footage is offered at:
spin.com/fabulous-stains
It's a good read with lots of juicy stories about the shoot.
Sorry buddy the link doesn't work and a search on the SPIN website brings up nothing????
What do they say about it?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Sorry norris, wasn't really meant to be a link, I just copied that URL from the end of the article.
You don't have to buy Spin, but could you stop by your newstand and turn to page 54?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Henry Gale said:
Sorry norris, wasn't really meant to be a link, I just copied that URL from the end of the article.
You don't have to buy Spin, but could you stop by your newstand and turn to page 54?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I would LOVE to buddy, but I'm currently in the UK .

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Henry Gale said:
It's O.K. I've got some in the US to get me a copy of "SPIN".
Anyway, guess what I have in my hands right now...???!!!
Yes, the Rhino DVD of "Ladies and Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains" with Diane Lane on the cover!
I will do a more indepth review but... the picture is BY FAR the BEST I have ever seen this movie and the sound is awesome. This release is never gonna look as good as "Transformers" but Rhino have done a good job. There is small instances of print damage but nothing too distracting. There is also a few instances of pixellisation during a few scene transitions. Again nothing major but they are there.
The sound is really awesome considering the source and age. The songs sound superb! and the live concerts are great!
The extras are welcome. On the director commentary Lou Adler seems a little... tired... but it is a dry and informative track. The commentary with Diane Lane and Laura Dern is an absolute blast as both girls are having the time of their life watching this movie. It may not be as informative as Adlers but it is soooo entertaining, with Dern giggling while Diane Lane does spot on Ray Winstone impressions! Priceless.
There is also a cool photo gallery with some pictures from the film that I have NEVER seen and a nice and informative booklet in side too.
A more detailed review is coming but if you have any questions then post away. I am so pleased they have finally released this and although I wish there were MORE extras. It is a superb release and now a cherished film in my collection. Well done Rhino!

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark! And very pleased to see you get a credit in the DVD booklet!

Guess what I have in my hands right now...???!!!

Yes, the Rhino DVD of "Ladies and Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains" with Diane Lane on the cover!

I will do a more indepth review but... the picture is BY FAR the BEST I have ever seen this movie and the sound is awesome. This release is never gonna look as good as "Transformers" but Rhino have done a good job. There is small instances of print damage but nothing too distracting. There is also a few instances of pixellisation during a few scene transitions. Again nothing major but they are there.

The sound is really awesome considering the source and age. The songs sound superb! and the live concerts are great!

The extras are welcome. On the director commentary Lou Adler seems a little... tired... but it is a dry and informative track. The commentary with Diane Lane and Laura Dern is an absolute blast as both girls are having the time of their life watching this movie. It may not be as informative as Adlers but it is soooo entertaining, with Dern giggling while Diane Lane does spot on Ray Winstone impressions! Priceless.

There is also a cool photo gallery with some pictures from the film that I have NEVER seen and a nice and informative booklet in side too.

A more detailed review is coming but if you have any questions then post away. I am so pleased they have finally released this and although I wish there were MORE extras. It is a superb release and now a cherished film in my collection. Well done Rhino!

Matt Shiv

Agent
For those of you anxiously awaiting the dvd release, I have some interesting news. Paramount has pulled the rights to release the soundtrack to this film away from Rhino. The initial plan was for the soundtrack to hit digitally this week and then also on vinyl in a few weeks, but Paramount has apparently decided pretty late in the game (ie: last week) that the soundtrack rights are not in play and cannot be issued alongside the dvd.
In a pretty big screw-up, the cancellation reached all digital providers except for Amazon. It is currently available for digital download on their site, but I can guarantee it won't be for long. As soon as this gets noticed, it will be taken down. My friend at Rhino told me last week not to EVER expect the soundtrack based on what she was hearing from Paramount, so if you have even the slightest interest in this, you should probably buy it ASAP:
Amazon.com: Ladies And Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains Soundtrack: MP3 Downloads: Various Artists

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Matt Shiv said:
For those of you anxiously awaiting the dvd release, I have some interesting news. Paramount has pulled the rights to release the soundtrack to this film away from Rhino. The initial plan was for the soundtrack to hit digitally this week and then also on vinyl in a few weeks, but Paramount has apparently decided pretty late in the game (ie: last week) that the soundtrack rights are not in play and cannot be issued alongside the dvd.
In a pretty big screw-up, the cancellation reached all digital providers except for Amazon. It is currently available for digital download on their site, but I can guarantee it won't be for long. As soon as this gets noticed, it will be taken down. My friend at Rhino told me last week not to EVER expect the soundtrack based on what she was hearing from Paramount, so if you have even the slightest interest in this, you should probably buy it ASAP:
Amazon.com: Ladies And Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains Soundtrack: MP3 Downloads: Various Artists
Thanks for the heads up! Just downloaded from Amazon. Lou Adler's Ode Records is listed as the licenser (Rhino/Warner Music is the licensee). I'm guessing that this comes down to an ownership dispute between Ode (now part of Sony/BMG) and Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks