What's new

Paramount -- LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Has Paramount thought about licensing this title to Blue Underground? They do cult movies and unusual films and give them Grade-A treatment.

So, anybody else support the concept of a Blue Underground release for this title?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I want this on DVD, and (off-topic) I want Warner to release "URGH! A Music War!" as well.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Has Paramount thought about licensing this title to Blue Underground? They do cult movies and unusual films and give them Grade-A treatment.
Not gonna happen. Paramount is very much opposed to sublicensing. Plus, the problem is not studio disinterest, it's exorbitant music rights: the cost of clearing the music and releasing the title exceeds what the likely profit would be from sales of the movie. Which means that even if they did let it out to a third party, that party would still face the problem of paying the music fees. And if a deep-pocketed company like Paramount can't afford paying, how is an indie like Blue Underground supposed to afford it?

What the movie needs at this point is what they charmingly call in the personal ads a "Generous Benefactor."

Example: the previously-planned bare bones release of DANGER: DIABOLIK was cancelled and a full-blown edition with commentary, trailers, and even a music video was made possible because of the direct intervention of the Coppola family and American Zoetrope. In this situation, the Coppolas likely put in some funds to help cover the expenses in exchange for promotional consideration (getting their name and logo on the package), and/or called in favors with their friends to reduce the expenses (since the Beastie Boys often worked with Sofia's ex-husband Spike Jonze, she likely got them to allow use of the "Body Movin'" video at little or no cost). Plus, the studios like to stay in business with heavyweight talent like the Coppolas, so they'll underwrite the occasional pet project like this.

If we could find one person with the same kind of stroke to embrace THE FABULOUS STAINS and make a similar push, then maybe we'll see some action. And no, it's not gonna be enough to have it come from Diane Lane or Lou Adler, it needs to be someone uber-big, someone who rarely hears the word "no" when they place a phone call.

Jake Fogelnest

Auditioning
Great advice, Mark!

Insanely priced music rights don't make me want to give up. What music in the film is holding things up? There's really only a few songs and none of them are big hits. "I Slept In An Arcade" by Black Randy And The Metro Squad couldn't cost that much.

At the end of the film, the credits advertise a soundtrack album that never surfaced that was going to be released on Lou Adler's then record label. Could it be Lou who owns the publishing?

And I hear what you're saying about getting that Uber-big supporter. That's what gives me hope. I feel like there's a lot of people out there that would get involved. That's why I'm getting fabulousstains dot com going. There's a temp page up already. If anyone has ideas for what should go on the site, please let me know.

Mark, can you drop me an e-mail? I'd like to talk with you further.

Thanks,

Jake Fogelnest

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
No one at Paramount or Adler's office has ever confirmed or denied this, but logic dictates that the holdup is over the brief use of Carole King's performance of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow," from the Adler-produced album TAPESTRY. The recording is owned by Sony Music, who are notorious for demanding high payments for music clearances, and it is the only piece of major-label music in the movie. It is also embedded in the movie in such a manner that it cannot be removed or redubbed. Q.E.D.

Go ahead and email me off site meanwhile.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
First off, I'm reviving this to be a de facto "Film & Doc" thread for the movie -- could a moderator change the title to something more appropriate to its unreleased status, such as "When will it finally come on dvd?"

More importantly, as recently documented in the L.A. Times, there is another way to try sending a message to Paramount that LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS is a wanted DVD:

Go to Amazon and order it!

Now of course, they don't have it for sale. But they do have a listing for it, where you enter your email address to be notified when it becomes available. This also gets tabulated as data for the studio to see how much demand there is. So if over time there are a large number of pre-orders, that is something they can't ignore.

But you know me, I'll try anything to get this movie out of limbo.

(For L.A. fans, there is another midnight screening coming up for it on Nov. 18th -- mark the calendar)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Time to revive this thread again, even though I know it's become a punchline to most of you instead of a true mandate.

As I documented in the Film and Documentary section, studios are now paying attention to "hypothetical" preorders at sites like Amazon and Netflix -- people who offer up their email addresses for notification by the vendor when unreleased titles become available. Therefore, if enough people go to Amazon and order FABULOUS STAINS, that can send a message to Paramount that there is actual demand, and not just freaks like me screaming in the disco.

Meanwhile, the Nuart in West L.A. has another midnight show of the film scheduled for Friday, November 18th. Large audience turnouts at such midnight shows have helped pave the way for cult movies like TEEN WITCH and THE APPLE to get DVD releases. If over 200 show up for this, that will be meaningful as well.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I saw this on showtime back in 1983, they only aired it twice in the wee hours of the night, and it used to plsy ALOT on the movie channel the same year. I recall it aired on a canadian cable channel 2 years ago, if that means anything/indication.......

Jake Fogelnest

Auditioning
Hey Mark,

I've been trying to contact you via e-mail, but I'm not sure I have a correct address for you. I just came across this online from The Coolidge Corner Theatre's website and FREAKED:

"We are sorry to announce that our shows of LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS have been cancelled. The distributor's last remaining print was finally damaged beyond repair and had to be retired. For now, at least, the only way you'll be able to see the film is through some VHS copies made off of the TV - and not in a movie theatre. But someday, as soon as they have a print, we'll play this truly *sniff* lost cult classic again."

It was scheduled to show Friday and Saturday, July 29th-30th, 2005. You previous post mentions a screening at the Nuart November 18th. Is there another print? Is everything okay?

I am DYING to get the movie shown in New York City. I've also bought fabulous stains dot com.

If you get a chance I'd really like to talk with you about a bunch of stuff. I can be reached at jake at jake fogelnest dot com.

Thanks!!

Neil Palmer

Auditioning
I'm writing an essay on this film for a book on punk rock movies to be published next year in Britain. I've already had an interview with Billy Childish—in which we talk about his movies—accepted accepted for the same book.

I wonder whether you'd care to offer any comments on the context and importance of this film, as someone who's in a position to speak as a fan and a media professional.

I've seen Behind the Movie and read the Grand Royal article and I'm aware that Sarah Jacobson worked hard to re-establish the film. My article is intended to supplement her work and introduce it to a wider audience in the UK.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Diane Lane was a guest on NPR's Fresh Air today and named Ladies and Gentlemen.... as her favorite of her films.
And wouldn't it be nice if an Administrator edited the topic on this thread to reflect the sad reality of things.

Jake Fogelnest

Auditioning
GREAT NEWS!

I think this is the first place I'm reporting this, but...

SEPTEMBER 30th, 2008

RHINO ENTERTAINMENT

The DVD is for REAL!

I had a conference call with the fine people at Rhino this week and I just watched a screener of the AMAZING transfer they've done. Lou Adler recorded a commentary track already and I think Diane Lane does one next week.

This is for real. It's really happening. I will be updating fabulousstains.com with a redesign in the next couple of days.

The wait is over. Phew.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Jake Fogelnest said:
GREAT NEWS!
I think this is the first place I'm reporting this, but...
SEPTEMBER 30th, 2008
RHINO ENTERTAINMENT
The DVD is for REAL!
I had a conference call with the fine people at Rhino this week and I just watched a screener of the AMAZING transfer they've done. Lou Adler recorded a commentary track already and I think Diane Lane does one next week.
This is for real. It's really happening. I will be updating fabulousstains.com with a redesign in the next couple of days.
The wait is over. Phew.
Fantastic news! I had an opportunity to view the single, rapidly-aging 35mm still in circulation a couple of weeks ago. Nice to hear that it is getting a good transfer. I can't believe that Paramount is now licensing to Rhino too. Between the titles they've licensed to Criterion, Legend, Lionsgate, and now Rhino, they won't have anything left for themselves! Way to (finally) start getting their catalog out there though.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Great news !

I hope they get some great extras and supplements on the film too!

A Diane Lane commentary to go along with Lou Adlers would be sooooo neat. Lane became a rrrt girl icon in this movie!

Any chance of a blu-ray release ?????

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned in another thread, there is an excellent documentary already on DVD about the film. It is an extra on THE RAINBOW WIG MAN DVD. It features interviews with the entire cast, including Lane. I don't know if they can get the rights for it.

Jake Fogelnest

Auditioning
Diane Lane and Laura Dern will be recording commentary next week. They're also in touch with Sam Green who shot the documentary with Sarah Jacobson for IFC Split Screen so the disc might include that footage as well.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
That's excellent news. Any word on whether people like consultant Caroline Coon, writer Nancy Dowd, or co-star Marin Kanter will be interviewed as well?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
this is good and strange news - since it seemed like Rhino was getting out of the DVD business.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks