What's new

Paramount -- LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yep, every so often I resurrect this and see if anyone new notices.

I suspect that this is not likely for 2003. Could anyone say if we can at least hope to see this in preparation for 2004? Especially if some long shot Diane Lane wins Best Actress at this year's Academy Awards?

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I think we will get this in 2003. The exposure and publicity that Diane Lane is getting at the moment (win or not) means that this is probably gonna be the best possible time to release this popular cult classic on DVD.

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure there are plenty of die hard Diane Lane fans out there, like me, that would love to see this very rare and hard to find film on DVD.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
If you live in the Los Angeles area, you have two opportunities to see STAINS in a theatrical setting. Attending these shows is VERY important, because that helps demonstrate that there is a market for the title on video. And it also helps prod the studio into striking another print.
Sunday, August 17th, 4PM -- ArcLight Cinemas, Hollywood
This is a festival screening, part of a larger 3-day event of rock-themed movies. Now, technically, Paramount does not see a box gross for this film; they are paid a flat fee for the screening, since it's a festival. But, if attendance figures are high, it will help send a message. Other good, not-on-video rock films that will be screening in this DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK fest include STARDUST, PRIVILEGE, and the original DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION. So you could help other films get DVD release by spending as much time there as possible. A full line-up is at the DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK website.
Friday, October 10th, Midnight -- Nuart Theatre, West L.A.
This screening is very crucial. Paramount does see a gross on this show, so if the paid turnout is big, their cut is big, and they will be very happy. MGM struck a new print on THE APPLE based off of one successful midnight show at the same theatre (it drew 346 people and grossed over $3000), so even if you don't live in L.A., tell your friends that do to come to the show.
The theme for this month, fellow Stainerators, is "DON'T PUT OUT...AGAIN!"

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Hi Mark,

Great! Thanks for the info.

Is there anyway that we can get this info to other forums and movie info sites to boost the profile of the showings. I have already posted your info on several other forums (I hope you didn't mind) but what about other ways of boosting the profile of the screenings? We could start by nearer the time posting it in the MOVIES forum here I guess?

What do you think? Let me know and I'll help.

Thanks,

Martin.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Following Diane Lane's Academy Award nominated success in "Unfaithful" and her current hit "Under The Tuscan Sun" wouldn't be great to get her 1981 cult classic "Ladies and Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains" out on DVD!? Please see what you can do. Thanks!

DON'T FORGET - THIS COMING FRIDAY NIGHT!

This screening is very crucial. Paramount does see a gross on this show, so if the paid turnout is big, their cut is big, and they will be very happy. MGM struck a new print on THE APPLE based off of one successful midnight show at the same theatre (it drew 346 people and grossed over $3000), so even if you don't live in L.A., tell your friends that do to come to the show.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Remember tonight!

How did it go guys? I had to go with my girlfriend to see another Diane Lane movie "Under The Tuscan Sun". It was very good actually!

I hope the attendence was good at "Stains". Let me know.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
If and when a STAINS DVD arrives, it will be sadly bereft of a major participant.
Filmmaker Sarah Jacobson, who wrote the Grand Royal article and produced the IFC segment on the film, died from cancer this past weekend in New York.
There is no one out there who put herself out so much for this movie as she did. I can only hope one of these days, we'll reap the rewards of her work.
Remembering indie queen Sarah Jacobson

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
If and when a STAINS DVD arrives, it will be sadly bereft of a major participant.

Filmmaker Sarah Jacobson, who wrote the Grand Royal article and produced the IFC segment on the film, died from cancer this past weekend in New York.

There is no one out there who put herself out so much for this movie as she did. I can only hope one of these days, we'll reap the rewards of her work.
That is tragic news. I remember having email correspondence with her last year about THE STAINS. I had no idea she was even ill. Like you, I hope one day we'll reap the rewards of this talented person. She'll be missed.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I rented the documentary THE RAINBOW WIG MAN (about the guy who showed up at sporting events with the Rainbow wig and the John 3:16 sign), released by Other Cinema DVD and it had a bunch of short films as extras. All were unrelated to the film which was odd.

Anyway, one was a ten minute documentary on the early 80's Diane Lane film LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE FABULOUS STAINS. It featured new interviews with Diane Lane, Christine Lahti and the writer and director and many others involved.

In the short, they say that Paramount is finally releasing it to video.

Has anyone heard any news of this?

The film barely got a theatrical release and very rarely played cable. It never was released on VHS or laserdisc. Yet, it built a huge cult following.

This SHOULD have been big news, yet it is very odd to hear the news that the film is finally being released on video as an extra on another companies DVD, as an extra on an unrelated film.

The documentary was quite good so I would hope it would be included on the DVD of the film.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The documentary was made years ago, and at that time, there were initial talks about getting a release done. However, these talks have been stalled on music clearances.

Sorry to say it, as one of the film's largest partisans, but there are absolutely no plans for STAINS on DVD anytime soon.

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched this DVD, too (it's actually called "The Rainbow Man/John 3:16"), and came here to do a search on The Fabulous Stains -- I was pretty sure that the release that is mentioned in the short doc (from 1999) never happened, and I wanted to see if anyone here knew why (thanks, Mark! Music rights -- I shoulda guessed).

The IMDB also lists a new (2004) "Making of" documentary about the Fabulous Stains, for what that's worth (not much, probably).

(BTW -- The shorts on the Rainbow Man DVD are related in that they're all directed by Sam Green, who also co-directed the new Weather Underground documentary.)

--K

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
(BTW -- The shorts on the Rainbow Man DVD are related in that they're all directed by Sam Green, who also co-directed the new Weather Underground documentary.)
Thanks. The STAINS doc didn't have any credits or even copyright date on it so I didn't know why it was on the DVD. Watching it again last night, I figured it would have had to be made in 1998 as it said ("Now, 18 years after the film was made....")

And THE RAINBOW MAN / JOHN 3:16 was a fascinating if very sad documentary.

Jake Fogelnest

Auditioning
Okay, enough is enough already.

I found my tape of Sarah's "IFC Split Screen" segment on "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains" tonight in a closet. I popped it in and realized, "This film STILL isn't out on DVD."

In a rush of anger, I just bought a Fabulous Stains domain name and in the next couple of weeks I'm going to put up a proper website in tribute to the film. I'm picking up the crusade to see this film released. Music rights don't scare me. This has gone on far too long already.

I love this movie. A lot of people I love, love this movie. I believe a lot more people would love this movie if they only got the chance to see it. I'm just one dude, but I'm making it a personal mission to see "Ladies And Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains" get the proper respect and DVD release it's been owed forever.

It's time to get on the ball. For Sarah.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks