1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paramount HD DVD sales surge!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Pete T C, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Ron, Sky Captain has a neat visual style, but one of the lead characters is fairly annoying. It is hard to root for someone when you want to slap her silly.

I liked the chief bad guy... and noted the use of one of his more famous movie lines: "Is it safe?"

Had it not shown up in a big box last week with the nine other Paramount releases, I would have picked this up from Amazon. That 10 percent discount, making the effective cost $17.95, is hard to pass up. And I also paid for Amazon Prime to get 2-day shipping. Prime will pay for itself within three months at my current order rate.

But if you are still wary on the purchase, may I recommend Netflix? Their $10/month plan allows one title out at a time, and they do rent all the HD DVD's.

- Steve

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Thanks for the input guys.

I don't rent. I buy what I want.

I think I'll join the Amazon prime plan. I already qualified for a year's
    worth of 10% off purchases so the 2-day shipping will come in handy.

As for Sky Captain, I think I'll skip it.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Good call on the Amazon Prime. I never thought the prepaid shipping would be a good deal, and I was really proven wrong. Heck, Amazon is now getting into the big box/dry goods grocery business, and prime shipping is ideal for that. Look out Costco!

I am also not one to really like rentals, but I have been very selective recently about what discs I purchase, now that we are in a format transition. Format war notwithstanding, since there are still quite a few DVD's not on HD DVD, the occasional rental comes in very handy. And with that $10/month plan, you can get upwards of 10 discs a month--not bad from a cost perspective.

- Steve

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Well-Known Member

YMMV on Sky Captain. I absolutely love it, both for its unique visual style and its nostalgic pulpy goofiness (the original DVD was my top DVD release of 2005). Others hate it. But it's very much one of a kind.

5. Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins Well-Known Member

Sleepy Hollow was a must own for me, but then I loved the whole Hammer vibe the movie had. I'd like to see more Tim Burton films on HD DVD.

6. Dan M

Dan M Well-Known Member

Sky Captain was a hoot I thought. Great fun. Not to mention great visuals and unique style. Same for Sleepy Hollow. A must have indeed....

Now if I could only get a Braveheart HDDVD by Christmas I would be beside myself....