What's new

PARAMOUNT--Are you ever going to release these films on bluray? (1 Viewer)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Matt Hough said:
Yes, I'd LOVE to see this one. I've never seen it in any medium: at the theater, on TV, or on home video. I've always been curious about it, but I've never gotten around to tracking it down for a viewing.
I recall liking this at the Movies.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Everett Stallings said:
I recall liking this at the Movies.
GUNN is available on Amazon streaming, free for Prime. It's open matte, and for some reason has French credits, but it's watchable.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I thougth there was talk of The Parallax View coming to blu-ray soon?....also would like to see Catch 22 and of course The Conformist released on blu-ray.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Sadly Warner handles Paramount and they have become the worst studio for releasing older films!!! We were thrown a breadcrumb with THE WOMEN...in MAY!!!! Almost halfway through the year!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ken Koc said:
Sadly Warner handles Paramount and they have become the worst studio for releasing older films!!! We were thrown a breadcrumb with THE WOMEN...in MAY!!!! Almost halfway through the year!
What about Hatari Gunfight At Ok CorralEl DoradoFunny FaceSabrina Those are released before THE WOMEN.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken Koc said:
I have empathy for you and everybody else that wants all of our favorite films out on BD. However, I think you're not being fair if you ignore the other titles that Paramount/Warner are releasing over the next three months or so.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
No one has mentioned The Greatest Show On Earth, done right that could be quite a colour fest. You'd almost need sunglasses to watch it!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I would like Looking for Mr GoodbarFoul PlayThe Hours200 Cigarettes (guilty NYE pleasure)American Gigilo (remastered - the FR release isn't the greatest)

SS NORMANDIE

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Hoping that the following Paramount movies will soon be released on Blu Ray:

Come Back, Little Sheba - 1952
A Place in the Sun
Mommie Dearest
Ordinary People
The Hours
The Out-of-Towners - 1970
Pretty in Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ken Koc said:
Actually, Universal owns most of the classic Paramount library.And The Women is an MGM filmed (currently owned by Warners).As for trying to lay blame on a particular studio, none of the majors are releasing classic films at the pace we feel they should - they are All glacial/molasses/snail -like.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
David Weicker said:
Actually, Universal owns most of the classic Paramount library.And The Women is an MGM filmed (currently owned by Warners).As for trying to lay blame on a particular studio, none of the majors are releasing classic films at the pace we feel they should - they are All glacial/molasses/snail -like.
Yeah, I think Universal owns all the Paramounts up to the late forties, so they own the Hope/Crosby Road movies & those great Preston Sturges comedies & many more classics. And yep, it's only the tip of the iceberg that's going to get a Blu-ray release, it's why I'm so grateful when a wanted film gets announced.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As for trying to lay blame on a particular studio, none of the majors are releasing classic films at the pace we feel they should - they are All glacial/molasses/snail -like.
And yep, it's only the tip of the iceberg that's going to get a Blu-ray release, it's why I'm so grateful when a wanted film gets announced.
The problem is that there is little incentive to get these classics out because
they don't sell anymore.

This is not the same market that it was 5-6 years ago. The studios are very
careful about what they release and which classics they are going to invest
a lot of money into doing a digital cleanup or restoration.

The fact that the studios like Fox and Sony are pawning off their classic films
to smaller distributors or that Paramount made a distribution deal with Warner
should tell you that we are looking at an entirely different release and marketing
situation.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Ronald Epstein said:
The problem is that there is little incentive to get these classics out because
they don't sell anymore.

This is not the same market that it was 5-6 years ago. The studios are very
careful about what they release and which classics they are going to invest
a lot of money into doing a digital cleanup or restoration.

The fact that the studios like Fox and Sony are pawning off their classic films
to smaller distributors or that Paramount made a distribution deal with Warner
should tell you that we are looking at an entirely different release and marketing
situation.
There is no doubt that the marketing paradigm for home theater physical media has shifted...the major players in Hollywood have moved their attention to releasing first-run CURRENT movies while relegating their classic catalog titles to 2nd-tier status in terms of release schedules and promotion, mainly because the customer base for these titles continues to shrink due to attrition...a painful reality that necessitates the existence of boutique labels like Criterion, Twilight Time, Olive and the like to take these movies up for distribution to us, however limited it may be compared to blu-ray's mainstream customers... :(

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Sad but true..... So will these films not be restored and preserved for posterity ? Or is IRONMAN 2 more important?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks