What's new

Paramount Announcement: Paramount Home Entertainment Recalling Saving Private Ryan Blu-ray Discs (1 Viewer)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by TravisR

This is an organization which still can't get it's registers to automatically give you the sale price on an ADVERTIZED sale! That won't price match THEIR OWN internet prices on a store sale! I would say I am amazed that they survived, while Circuit City died, but CC was even MORE incompetent.

BTW, I just noticed, this week, that BB has now adapted CC's ridiculous policy of putting high-profile new-release Blu-Rays behind the registers, so one can't browse new releases or pick your own copy or possibly see a new release that you previously didn't already know about. So maybe they ARE following CC.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Like others here, I had a devil of a time at Best Buy. I took my disc with receipt and a corrected copy to the service counter, and explained that the new copy with the yellow bar code was a corrected pressing. She pottered with the register and then said there was a $10 difference between the copy I already bought and the one I wanted to get today!

I explained again it was an exchange of defective merchandise. She potters with her register with deeply furrowed brow, and of course she ends up calling in another girl. I explained it again to the new girl, who seemed to get it. But she still took ages getting the register to do what it needed to.

So - success, but 10-15 minutes to battle through an exchange wasn't my idea of fun.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Larry Geller

BTW, I just noticed, this week, that BB has now adapted CC's ridiculous policy of putting high-profile new-release Blu-Rays behind the registers, so one can't browse new releases or pick your own copy or possibly see a new release that you previously didn't already know about. So maybe they ARE following CC.

My BB hasn't started doing that yet and if they do I certainly won't be buying ANY Blu-Rays there again.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Shopping at CC was a truly unpleasant experience. Every time I would go in to buy a new release they were sold out - and this was on street date! Except, of course, if the title I wanted just happened to be a huge hit, which they always had 150 copies of. I wasn't too fond of having to bend down to near floor level to find stuff, either. BB aren't a huge improvement but sometimes they have a sale thats worth the trouble. You're not going to get a lot of satisfaction shopping for movies at places that also sell washing machines

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My corrected copy from Amazon shipped and I will have it tomorrow. Showtime in the Crawford HT this weekend.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I think I will put off buying this title a few weeks to make sure I do get the corrected disc, I just do not want to go through the exchange if I do not need to do so. This movie is awsume and I can not wait to own it, it's one of the movies I have to own on Bluray!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz

I think I will put off buying this title a few weeks to make sure I do get the corrected disc, I just do not want to go through the exchange if I do not need to do so. This movie is awsume and I can not wait to own it, it's one of the movies I have to own on Bluray!

You do realized they have marked the corrected disc differently than the flawed one?

ian spector

Auditioning
I live in Montreal, Canada. Two weeks ago. when I believe the original release came out...a buddy of mine comes back from Vegas with a white UPC labelled copy that he got for me. I then was reading about the recall on the net. I did verify that there was an OOS issue at chapter 15. I then, 2 days ago..took it to the local BestBuy near my office in Montreal.

In Montreal..all DVD media has a goverment movie ratings label on it and the outer cardboard packaging and blu ray jacket is in both french and english language . The discs themselves are not typically labelled in French . The copy that my friend brought back of course had no french packaging..no special gov't sticker, a different bar code as it was purchased in the US and and after a bit of explaining about the recall..which appeared they didn't really know about..they permit me to swap the movie only disc. They initially didn't want to take it back as they said Best Buy Canada is one company and Best Buy USA is another..which is utter crap. I did have the original receipt which was required to do the exchange. Wasn't easy to accompish..it was more patience on my part explaining the issue and if they could help..which in the end they did.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a fixed copy today at Best Buy.

This version has the yellow code bar as well as a blue disc instead of grey.

Watching it on my friends PS3, I could have sworn that the same flaws were on the disc. During Uphams translation of the song, the dialogue looked off from the movements of the characters.

The disc seemed to play correctly on my updated Sony BR player.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just watched on PS3 Ω and didn't notice any sound synch issues.

BTW, this movie's sound was superior to Avatar and that's saying a lot I think.

I couldn't believe how immersive the audio was. (Is immersive a word?)

edit: how did that symbol get in there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks