What's new

Paradigm Studio V3's (1 Viewer)

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
So whats the deal. Word around the camp fire is that there are some interesting changes good and not good about the new version 3's. ... But from what I hear V3's are WAY WAY different than v2's from drivers to the entire enclosure..

I wanted a timber matched set to my version 2's (40's, CC and Servo 15) so I called my trusty dealer in Burlington, ON. (Right where paradigm is manufactured). He said they were all out of Studio 100's v2's and they were just about to get the version 3's in. He told me he'd check to see if he could get a pair of v2's for me. After a little searching he was able to get a pair direct from Paradigm. Very lucky as they were "all out" when I had my local dealer to me call earlier.

Anyhow. I called back today to tell the guys in Burlington to get me the set. His words were "Be glad you got a set of V'2s" as they had just got in the v3's and they were able to demo them.

I am picking them up next week and will be able to hear the v3's for myself, but has anyone here actually had any listening time with the new v3's???

Jeff

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to reading about new V.3s. I purchased the V.2s knowing the newer version was right around the corner, but I couldn't wait and get the same deal. I'm sure there will be many stating they are better just because they are newer and cost more. I wonder how many will say they like the sound of the V.2s better? The new tweeter may be an improvement as well as the newer/smaller drivers.

For HT, I can't imagine paying any more than I did 'cause I think I have a sweet sounding setup without upgrades I will be making to the electronics. For music, I could see where a bit more smoothness to the tweeter, and different drivers could improve on the sound. I just think the POSSIBLE improvements wouldn't be worth the extra I would have had to pay if I waited. To hear about your dealer suggesting you are lucky to get the older version after they heard the V.3s...that's not only comforting it's exciting.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Eh - the dealer is probably just making a sale... It's not fair to compare v2s that they've played for hundreds of hours to a fresh v3 out of the box. Paradigms take quite a whiles to break in.

BrianSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps the dealer was playing up the V2s so he could sell a pair?

Nah, that would not happen!

BTW, I just got a full 5.1 setup of V3s in my living room!

Nick V

Second Unit
Well, even if they're not broken in. How's the first impression. Come on man, give us something!!;)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
He probably meant be glad in that the V2s are going fast, and for you to timbre match with those, you had to move fast, because the V3s are totally different. Apparently Paradigm moved more of their last batch of V2s than they had anticipated, so instead of making more V2s, they rushed out the V3s. They were supposed to come out AFTER the Signature series, but now its sorta all confused and at the same time. I got conflicting answers from two Paradigm guys about the differences between the V3s and the Signature series. One said that some of the drivers are the same, and some are different, some just slightly. He mentioned the bass drivers (the bass-only ones, such as the bass units in the larger speakers, like the 40s/100s, not the bass/midrange driver) were different in the signature series. The tweeter is different between the V3s and the signatures, though to what extent I do not know, other than that the signature tweeter uses more "exotic materials." As for the main drive units, the bass/midrange unit, I think it's a little bit different, but again, it seemed like differences were small. Crossovers were pricier/fancier/more exotic, and same with wiring in the signature series. The "module" for the new centers, that contains tweeter and midrange driver (the small midrange driver), he said was identical as in the studio V3s, which was confusing because if the tweeter is slightly different from V3s to Signature...?

I will say that I was VERY impressed with the signature series, they were very very nice sounding. I wasn't in the sweet spot, and I was not familiar with the music played, but it was a very impressive presentation nontheless. Definitely way better than the V2 studios. On the other hand, I was somewhat surprised at the "knock test" on the enclosure on both the s8's (i think they were called s8's[actually, pretty sure they were the s6's, no s8's i don't think]) and the 570 center. They seemed a little hollow, and knocking on the V3 100s that were on display only, they seemed deader than the signature counterpart. So, given the apparent VERY close similarities between the signature series and the studio V3s, I expect the V3s to be stellar. At this point, I'm a little baffled by how they will justify the price difference between the two lines, I can't see how fancier phase plugs, real wood veneer, and exotic crossovers/wiring can justify several thousand dollars in difference if the drivers are almost, if not totally identical. I really hope the V3s sound close to the signatures though, and I am expecting them to at this point.

BrianSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Does any one have specs on the V3s yet? Such as frequency response, efficiency, etc?

The owner's manual doesn't have a thing!

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
At this point, I'm a little baffled by how they will justify the price difference between the two lines, I can't see how fancier phase plugs, real wood veneer, and exotic crossovers/wiring can justify several thousand dollars in difference if the drivers are almost, if not totally identical.
They needed to make this to appease the demand for a flagship line that's actually pricey. No real reason - I mean, their old ads and etc all touted their "excellent sound at a bargain price" -- but now since they've grown and their brand is fairly popular, they need to appease the hardcore audio enthusiast crowd by making an exotic line. All of the price conscious people in these forums will likely just head towards the v3s.

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it was that the dealer wanted to sell me his last v2's. He actually wanted me to get a set of 3's because he was all out of 2's. I asked him to look around for the 2's so I could have my matched set.

Jeff

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
Its a testimony to how good &/or how popular the studio V.2's were that Paradigm used up a projected 1/2 years worth of parts. I would credit/blame this an other forums for spreading the word on an excellent budget product. Paradigm should also hire a new operations manager who is aware of the importance of forums like these and their effect on market forces. I'm sorry to see the the v.2's go and I hope the v.3's don't dissapoint.

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I didnt realize the Signature Series and v.3 were already out. Can someone post the specs for the Signature Series and/or the v.3 series? Or can someone post some pics of the Signature Series or v.3 series? Any info would be great as the Paradigm website is not updated yet and little info has been available online regarding these speakers up to this point. Prices/pics/specs--anything would be good--in particular for the Signature Series.
Thanks.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
When I called my local Paradigm dealer (he's actually 190 miles away). He gave me discounts when quoting the prices of the v.3's. The retail pricing was inbetween the v.2 laminate and veneer pricing and when he discounted the pricing it was just above v.2 laminate pricing a tad. Of course the cost of a full system of v.3's scared me off but he said if I went with even a few more pieces he's discount even more.

Food for thought!

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
Well here is the word about the Studio 100 v3's from my Canadian dealer. Remember all this is their opinion and I will get to hear first hand this week when I pick up my version 2's and I will give you my opinion.

Out of the box with some break-in.

Physically they are narrower and shorter. Alot lighter, weight simmilar to a monitor 7. Looks like they "borrowed" some styling ques from KEF. ...And they have their new scratch resistant top.

Sound wise out of the box comparing it to the v2 100's, they sound harsher and thinner. No warmth like the v2's have. There is also a midrange hump. He's hoping after some more burn in time they will sound better.

Thats what they said... Its an opinion, take it for what its worth and listen for yourself. I am going up to do the same.

Jeff

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I know that there was a big thread on the version 3 a week or so ago but I'm coming up empty on a search so either point me to the thread or post an answer if you don't mind.

When talk of the version 3 began I recall there being some confusion about it being for only some of the studio line or the whole thing. I have studio 20 mains and atom surrounds. I'm hoping to upgrade the atoms to 20's some day but I can't afford it now.

So my question - are the 20's also going to version 3 or is it just the upper studio line because if the 20's are included then I guess I'll have to scour the used market when I can afford to upgrade.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Barry the 20's are in the lineup, I think the only model that was scrapped was the 80's if I'm correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks