What's new

Paradigm Studio 60's Owners (1 Viewer)

Helder

Auditioning
I agree with John... the better you drive these speakers, the more they reveal. Changing from a Yamaha 630 receiver to a Marantz PM 7000, which is the one I actually have, I just couldn't recognize the speakers... and as John said, this amplifier in an entry level one.
The Studio's are plenty of potential of sounding very good... but to explore this, you should drive them properly. The more, the better. But this happens to all good speakers.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Helder,

Can you give me some suggestions about some good 2-channel amplifiers that would let the 60's reach their maximum and sound better?

Of course I would like something that would surpass the Elite 54TX.

Thanks,

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I run my 60s of a used pair of Marantz MA-500 monoblocks. It was a big step up from my Denon 3803, and I those are just entry level monoblocks. I know with more power they could go farther. But it shows that I only spent $400 on the monoblocks and I still got a big improvment.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got my pair of MA500s for $300. Serious bang for the buck! Though they may not be "audiophile" amps, they definitely add some oomph and bring out detail without costing an arm and a leg.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
That's cool to hear!

My next upgrade would probably add an external amplifier and get the best cables i can find in town.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
www.hcmaudio.com has the Audioquest Coral/CQ for $65/pr 1m because they were discontinued. IMO, this is a steal at about half the price of the original; and it's a very good, neutral cable. I have used the regular Coral, as well as a number of other AQ ICs and I find them all to be good stuff. Very good service from HCM also.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John,

I was checking the price for those speaker wires and they're way too expensive for my budget.

1000$ for speaker wires...:frowning:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For speaker wire, don't need to go crazy. Interconnects will make a more noticable difference than any speaker wire. I'm not in the market for boutique speaker wires either :)

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
John when we say interconnects,does that mean we're talking about all the cables that connects the equipments in everything related to audio?

For example the dvd to the Receiver with a Coaxial cable?
Your vcr to the receiver?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interconnects typically only refers to analog audio interconnects. Digital connections technically could be included in there since they do roughly the same thing, but they are a slightly different animal and are not generally covered by that term, AFAIK.

Helder

Auditioning
Antonio,

sorry for taking so long to give you an answer...
The Marantz MA 500 and MA 700 are very good options. Here in Brazil is very difficult to find these monoblocks, since they are discontinued. I have some of friends trying to get a pair of them, but it's getting more and more difficult.

Consider the Rotel too, in my opinion they sound very good, with good value. Keep in mind that you have great speakers that need (and deserve) good amplification to reveal their best. So, make and effort and buy the best you can.

Don't worry that much with cables... you will hear much more difference in the sound quality investing on amp's. Buy a good amplifier first, then you invest on cables.

Helder.

James^Brian

Agent
I have 60's and VSX-45. I have had a similar problem, but actual total dropout when listening at deafing volumes in a hot room. The Pio's have a protection circuit that could be cutting in but I doubt it. Have you experienced this with movies or music?

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
James,

i'm glad you mentioned you had similar problems.
Now what i generally notice when i watch movies and listen to music,is a difference in clarity.
Sometimes my speakers sound "boxy" and "muddy" and another day they would sound brighter and more detailed(a bit more harsh).I like when they sound sound a bit more harsh because it represents more details to me in whatever you're listening to.Unfortunetly i don't know how to maintain that harshness in my system...
So basically my system sounds too smooth to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks