What's new

Paradigm, Polk, or B&W? (1 Viewer)

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, this should be my last post about my budget speaker upgrade. ;) Just as a reminder this is what my system includes right now:
Polk R20 Mains
Technics SA-DX950 Receiver
Aiwa TS-W150 Subwoofer
My main concern right now is to get new mains so I can use the R20s for rears and then to replace the subwoofer (probably right after Christmas). After that I'll worry about upgrading the receiver. Prior to this setup I was using an all Sony 5.1 set-up, but I like the Polks a lot more so I haven't bothered hooking up the Sony rears. Anyway, after listening to a pretty big range of speakers I've narrowed my choices down to three speakers in the $200-$300 range and I haven't been able to make up my mind on which one I like best.
Keep in mind that I'll be using these as mains for 8 months to a year and they'll probably be paired with a subwoofer in the $150-$200 range (Since the Aiwa is getting replaced). Also, I use my set-up for 50/50 HT and music, but quality for HT use is more important to me. The choices I'm deciding between are:
B&W DM303s
Polk RTi28s
Paradigm Titans
So, for those of you who've used one or all of these, which one would you recommend?
Also, if there are any other speakers you'd recommend looking at in that price range let me know and I'll try to find a store around here that has them so I can take a listen. Thanks in advance!
EDIT: By the way, these speakers will be most likely coming to me as a Christmas present, so if there's another speaker you'd recommend try to keep in mind that it's something I should be able to find locally. Thanks again. :D

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
*bump*
really need some advice here. Like I said, I like all three speakers after auditioning each of them, but I can't decide on which one would be best. Just looking for some impressions on them from people who've used them for a while. :)
Also, a friend recommended the JBL N38s, which Best Buy is selling for $200. Is it worth my time to drive down there and check those out?

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
There is not a lot anyone can say. I've heard good stuff about the N and S line of JBL, so I think its worth it to check them out.

I was in the same boat you are in a couple of months ago. Ended up with the Titans.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
B&W DM303s
Polk RTi28s
Paradigm Titans

Personally, I would take any of those over the JBL N38.

You already have Polks, why not stick w/ them?
(not that they're the same line, but I always liked having the same brand speakers all around) well, the sub is an exception.

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I would take any of those over the JBL N38.
After stopping by Best Buy today and listening to them I'd have to agree... I wasn't really impressed at all. My Polk bookshelf R20s actually sounded better, which really surprised me. After listening to them all again I've decided on either the Polks or the B&Ws.
Heh, I wasn't expecting it to be this hard of a decision. ;)

David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator
I've had some problems with my Polk's. I have RT35i's up front and RTi28's for rear channels. I've fried 2 sets of crossovers in the 35's and just recently lost a tweeter in one of the 28's. However Polk is real good about their warranty and just call them up and send in the broken stuff and they'll send new. It's more of a pain in the rear and dissappointing considering how much I paid for them (college student budget). I've been contemplating upgrading to B&W's when the warranty runs out on my Polk's. Just some food for thought.

David Moechnig

Mikey N

Auditioning
George,

I've had my Titans for several years now and think they are the best speaker for your money. They sound like much more expensive speakers.

Michael

John Chow

Second Unit
Give the PSB Alpha series a shot. Those are probably my favorite for the super budget lines. Personally, I don't particularly care for Paradigm, and haven't heard the other models you've listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks