What's new

Paradigm PDR-10 repair (1 Viewer)

Chris Homer

Agent
Okay, started to get some gradual static out of my sub. At first I thought I was having some power issues, but upon trying different outlets, realized there was something wrong. Later developed into every time it was turned on static right when it was turned on.

Brought it in to a local Paradigm dealer a couple of weeks ago and just followed up with him today. Apparently it's a bad woofer. Guy I spoke with didn't know much about the business, but relayed that it would be $200 to repair.

I guess my question is do I go with the repair or look into a new one. Guy didn't know what a new one would go for. I'm sure the cheaper route is the repair, but not sure what caused it to go bad. I bought it around 98 or so and it is newer than my MKII 3se main speakers and they're still fine.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have the same sub. A nice guy named SeanH @ the Audio Asylum forum upgraded his, including the driver, and said the stock driver wasn't anything to write home about. Might be worth a quick search over there.

So for about $20-30, you could probably just pick up another driver from Parts Express or Madisound and replace it. Might sound the same, might sound a little worse, could even sound better.

A lot better solution than $200. The only problem I can foresee is getting the grill off; the PDR's grill isn't removable so you'd probably have to slice it off with an Xacto knife and either repair it too or fashion a new one.

Good luck!

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's time for a new sub. Save your money (especially $200 bucks to fix it!) and put it toward a newer sub.

You've had it since '98......time for a new one!

Chris Homer

Agent
98 isn't old, my main Paradigm speakers where bought back in '93 and are still going strong.

For $300 I got a new PDR-10 which just came in a couple of days ago. Box is smaller than the old one, so had to do a double take to make sure it was the right one.

Chris Homer

Agent
I think most prices are a ripoff, but they are what they are.

Back up you comment, why do you think it is a ripoff. I've had no other problems short of it going bad. I've been happy otherwise with its output and it matches the rest of my speaker system.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Well, if you're happy with it that's ultimately what matters most. I've just found that you can get significantly better performance for the money.

For another $100 you could have had an SVS PB-10, which would have kicked the crap out of it. For the same money you could have had something from Hsu that would have easily out-performed it, too. For less money you could have picked up two of the Dayton subs from Parts Express.

I love Paradigm speakers....I recommend them all the time. And maybe their higher end subs are okay, I dunno. But the PDR series is overpriced, IMO.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
I must agree with AlanZ, the PDR-10 was my first sub until I realized how bloomy, bloated and slow the bass was. Replaced with an Adire Rava that mopped the floor with it, then after a move to another house where WAF came into play big-time, sold the Rava and bought a Pinnacle SubSonic. It's hard to believe that a 9" cube with two 6.5" woofers can put out as much bass as it does, but it backs up a pair of Magnepan MC-1s in a room with 20-foot ceilings and can shake all 9 windows plus the 80" high sliding-glass window with no problems. And since it's sealed, the bass is quick, tight and tuneful -- and I listen to a great deal of classic jazz via Sirius satellite, which is an excellent source for top-quality signal............

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Darren:
That's interesting that you've found that sub to mate well with the Maggies. I'm really beginning to think that subs with smaller drivers is the key. One of the other 'Alans' from the Maggie Update thread wasn't happy until he mated a Martin Logan Depth sub - dual 8" drivers, I believe - with his Maggie 1.6s. I used to own a couple SVS's with 12" ISD drivers, and even though I didn't have them when I got my Maggies, I have a hunch this little PB10 blends better than the larger ones do. I'm really considering just picking up another one instead of goign to a bigger SVS. I really think smaller drivers is the way to go.....do you agree?

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Alan, I may have just gotten lucky. Then again, both the Rava (which I had in my "new" house for about two months until I was able to trade it out) and the SubSonic are sealed designs, which may help explain their "quickness." I've never heard a true top-of-the-line sub such as REL makes, but the ported ones I've heard are generally just a tad slow with a bit of overhang.

Part of the issue, too, with larger drivers is the high Xover point some Maggies (my MC-1s, the Ws, and even the MMGs) need. You're then getting a quality sub, even SVS, into a frequency region in which it might not shine. I run my Maggies full-range with my NAD C370 integrated, which only go down to 80 Hz, then run the sub Xover @ about 90. Due to a somewhat strange room layout, the Maggies are about 8' apart in a corner at 45 degrees and the sub is in a cabinet sitting on Vibrapods. Not the most optimal setup, again due to WAF in our so-called "fancy" room, but amazingly, it all works out.

Good luck in your sub search!

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Going around and throwing replacement drivers into a sub willy-nilly is not recommended, and generally the results are not good.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator

I agree 100% here. The PDR-10 was my first sub. I sold it and went with an SVS and the comparison isn't even in the same ballpark.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
To Rory: What I suggested was a $20-30 repair that might do the job (especially after Audio Asylum inmate Sean H. disparaged the stock Paradigm driver) instead of the $200 repair Chris was quoted and the $300 he ended up dropping on yet another PDR-10, which by the consensus of this board is neither a good value nor a standout subwoofer.

PartsExpress and MadiSound carry some good drivers and if he got lucky (i.e., replacement specs close to stock parameters) it might have sounded good for less than the cost of a pizza & 6-pack. I thought that was definitely worth a shot before shelling out three skins for a new sub.

Respectfully,

-D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks