What's new

Papillon Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by ReggieW

I guess we'll just have to get in the habit of waiting for non-digibook versions of catalog titles. I'm also interested in getting The Man who would be King, and lo and behold, its also been given the digibook treatment as well. I really don't think these deluxe packages will help spur consumers to purchase catalog titles at premium prices.

I totally agree. I'd consider myself a pretty hard-core fan of Papillon and even I can't see spending that much for a digibook. If I feel that way, how does the impulse buyer feel when it's $34.99 at Best Buy? It'd have to be a 3-disc special edition with all-new HD content and an absolutely perfect all-new transfer. The price has to absolutely kill sales for a title like this.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The price range on this title is $24-30 in NYC-area stores. I don't even know if Best Buy is carrying it, Amazon has it for $26. I like to buy in-store whenever possible (I hate waiting for the Post Office) but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a price-drop online or get it used. There's no rush, right?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Luisito34

The price range on this title is $24-30 in NYC-area stores. I don't even know if Best Buy is carrying it, Amazon has it for $26. I like to buy in-store whenever possible (I hate waiting for the Post Office) but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a price-drop online or get it used. There's no rush, right?

Fortunately, I was able to purchase this title for a lot cheaper from the Warner's site.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I caved and bought this one online today for about $25. More than I normally spend, but I have a weakness when it comes to this movie.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Cinescott

I caved and bought this one online today for about $25. More than I normally spend, but I have a weakness when it comes to this movie.

I'm about to follow your lead. :)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I've watched a good portion of this Blu-ray and I'm impressed. The price is too high, but this is a great transfer. Warner is doing a very good job with its catalog titles. I've always been a huge fan of Papillon for the way in which director Franklin Schaffner (of Planet of the Apes and Patton fame) tells the story. This is a prison movie in the same vein as The Shawshank Redemption in which a prisoner (Steve McQueen) is falsely imprisoned and forced to serve years of incarceration in the jungle of French Guyana.

Papillon's a very long movie (over 2.5 hours), but that's OK, because I happen to be a fan of very long movies when the subject matter is appropriate. If anything is appropriate IMO, it would be to communicate the effects on the mind of years of imprisonment including torture and solitary confinement. Although the basic structure of the story is escape, this is not an escape movie; this is a movie about survival, perseverance, and human bonding. Steve McQueen really impresses me in Papillon and amazingly it is the only movie I have ever seen him in. I'll have to change that in the future. Dustin Hoffman is the other major character and he does a fine job.

With the Blu-ray, I am convinced the softness is the opening portion is from the master. There are parts of the screen that go a bit in and out of focus and just don't make any sense if one tries to explain it through DNR or anything else done by Warner. It's probably an optical issue, because shortly after the credits are over, everything becomes very, very clear. Blu-ray's just given us all the ability to see this movie the way it really is. that's fine with me, because it looks pretty amazing. The red and white striped prison uniforms that have given every video version of this movie problems in the past are right on. Beads of sweat glisten and sparkle. The tropical foliage is sharp, green, and lush. The color palette is pretty bland for about two-thirds of the movie, but keep in mind it takes place in a prison. It's not a hotel with paintings and wallpaper on the walls.

Audiences likely would not have the patience for a movie like this today and that's too bad. This is a film where the viewer can watch a story being told without needing to rush from one sequence to another at breakneck speed. The performances are often non-verbal and found in body posture and makeup. The score too is simply beautiful. Very memorable.

I seem to have an attraction for stories about people that go through incredible suffering and survive. Maybe I'd like to believe I have some of the same qualities myself, although I hope I am never tested like this.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
If you'd like to see Steve McQueen in another thoughtful epic on blu-ray, try The Sand Pebbles. It's directed by Robert Wise, and also stars Candice Bergin and Richard Attenborough. It's not exactly a "feel good" film, but it's one of the most thoughtful epics about war and colonialism I've ever seen. The pq on it is mostly very good.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
This is why I love this hobby so much. I had barely heard of "The Sand Pebbles," but after Ben's recommendation and reading the film and Blu-ray reviews, I have bought it this very morning sight unseen. It's definitely the kind of movie I like. Thanks Ben and to others for recommending great films.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

This is why I love this hobby so much. I had barely heard of "The Sand Pebbles," but after Ben's recommendation and reading the film and Blu-ray reviews, I have bought it this very morning sight unseen. It's definitely the kind of movie I like. Thanks Ben and to others for recommending great films.

Hope you like it. Please give us a little review once you've had a chance to watch it....

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Saw "The Sand Pebbles" for the first time last night. Great movie! Steve McQueen should have won an Oscar for this role.

For those who haven't seen it, McQueen plays a boat mechanic on board the San Pablo (nicknamed Sand Pebble) in China circa 1926. The 20s are a tumultuous time in China and the crew of the San Pablo must do everything it can to stay out of political trouble. The Chinese want all Americans out and the Americans are not ready to leave. This understandably creates some problems, especially when a sailor (Richard Attenborough), falls in love and marries a Chinese American woman (no spoilers). There are tremendous performances all around including McQueen, Attenborough, Richard Krenna, and Candice Bergen. Directed on-location in Taiwan by Robert Wise, TSP was obviously a very expensive production, with accurate locations and 1,000s of extras. Gerry Goldsmith does a very memorable score as well.

Regarding the Blu-ray, the transfer is first-rate. A high level of detail and depth are present. Not much grain, but not many signs of DNR to me either. It's just a very pleasing image with great color and beautiful vistas of the Far East. This is a long movie (3 hours) with an intermission, but worth the effort. There is also a good assortment of extras, including an isolated score (yes!), and a commentary by Robert Wise, Richard Krenna, and Candice Bergen. I'm looking forward to that one.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That sounds fantastic. I've had the deluxe DVD set for a couple of years and have yet to get into the film. This shall have to be remedied soon.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Cinescott said:
Saw "The Sand Pebbles" for the first time last night. Great movie! Steve McQueen should have won an Oscar for this role.

For those who haven't seen it, McQueen plays a boat mechanic on board the San Pablo (nicknamed Sand Pebble) in China circa 1926. The 20s are a tumultuous time in China and the crew of the San Pablo must do everything it can to stay out of political trouble. The Chinese want all Americans out and the Americans are not ready to leave. This understandably creates some problems, especially when a sailor (Richard Attenborough), falls in love and marries a Chinese American woman (no spoilers). There are tremendous performances all around including McQueen, Attenborough, Richard Krenna, and Candice Bergen. Directed on-location in Taiwan by Robert Wise, TSP was obviously a very expensive production, with accurate locations and 1,000s of extras. Gerry Goldsmith does a very memorable score as well.

Regarding the Blu-ray, the transfer is first-rate. A high level of detail and depth are present. Not much grain, but not many signs of DNR to me either. It's just a very pleasing image with great color and beautiful vistas of the Far East. This is a long movie (3 hours) with an intermission, but worth the effort. There is also a good assortment of extras, including an isolated score (yes!), and a commentary by Robert Wise, Richard Krenna, and Candice Bergen. I'm looking forward to that one.
Thanks for this great review!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Along with "The Sand Pebbles" which I already own, they have "The Longest Day" and "Patton" on sale for $9.99 as well. I ordered "The Longest Day" as an upgrade to my DVD, but I'm steering clear of of the waxy "Patton" until the new remaster comes out later this year.

"The Sand Pebbles" dropped to $9.99 on Amazon today. Not too bad.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark-P

Reading through the thread you will find many people on both sides of the fence on the transfer. I think it is too clean with too little grain, but it is still an enjoyable film.
Looking forward, though to the re-do of PATTON this fall.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yep, I'm aware of Mr. Harris' assessment that it was overly DNR'd but he does close by saying "Recommended." What I take from that is that it is less egregious than "Patton," and since there is little likelihood of TLD being revisited any time soon, I'll be happy to have it in my collection.

Originally Posted by ahollis

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mark-P

Yep, I'm aware of Mr. Harris' assessment that it was overly DNR'd but he does close by saying "Recommended." What I take from that is that it is less egregious than "Patton," and since there is little likelihood of TLD being revisited any time soon, I'll be happy to have it in my collection.

The Longest Day is probably worse than Patton if anything.

But thanks for the head's up on The Sand Pebbles. Been waiting on a good deal for this one a long time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Late to this party...but I have had the opportunity recently to get caught up on my "unwatched" queue.

This title surely did not disappoint. As Cameron notes in his review, all elements (save the special features--which is okay with me) of this release get extremely high grades.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I long ago removed all of my DVDs and blus from their cases and put them into binders. For that reason, digibook packaging is incredibly annoying to me--you're paying for a lot of packaging most folks neither need nor want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks